Menu

Anyone made a list of must learn things before graduating leaving home?

Trying to compile a list and  hoping not to miss anything.  Wrapping up with child two and want to make sure I haven't forgotten anything important.  Have you created one?  Can you give me some ideas?  Looking for more life skills, character, etc. not so much school related.  TIA!

Edited by Homeschoolmom3

Great thread idea -- I hope others will pipe up!

These 2 past threads are linked on PAGE 4 of the big pinned thread "College (and post high school) Motherlode", at the top of the WTM College Board:
Before sending students off to college (things to do)
Getting them ready to leave home 

A few things that come to mind:
- home = basic cooking and shopping skills; how to fix basic things around the house (or even, where are circuit breakers and water turn-off)
- car = basic maintenance (check oil and tire levels, add fluids, how to pump gas)
- personal finances = budgeting, saving, investing, loans, credit cards, compound interest 
- computer = safety; social media pitfalls; basic understanding of saving files and uploading/downing; basic word processing and spreadsheet software skills; how to put together a slide show to go with a presentation
- personal safety
- s*xuality and relationships; emotional/mental safety in relationships (both friendships and intimate relationships)
- communication skills
- mental and physical health; nutrition; exercise; living a life of balance
- ins and outs of health care plan

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EKS said:

How to drive.  Apparently that's not a given anymore.

lol -- You're right! I so take that for granted that I just had basic car maintenance -- not the learning to drive! 😂

We had both DSs learn both automatic and stick, as we have both. I know stick is going the way of the dinosaur, but you never know when that might come in handy. 😉 

We also had them go through a driving course given to teens by the local police dept. that teaches how to handle wet and slippery roads, how to pull out of a skid, how to get back onto the road from a shoulder that is lower and all gravel/loose sand, etc.

Edited by Lori D.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 7:56 PM, Lori D. said:

Great thread idea -- I hope others will pipe up!

These 2 past threads are linked on PAGE 4 of the big pinned thread "College (and post high school) Motherlode", at the top of the WTM College Board:
Before sending students off to college (things to do)
Getting them ready to leave home 

A few things that come to mind:
- home = basic cooking and shopping skills; how to fix basic things around the house (or even, where are circuit breakers and water turn-off)
- car = basic maintenance (check oil and tire levels, add fluids, how to pump gas)
- personal finances = budgeting, saving, investing, loans, credit cards, compound interest 
- computer = safety; social media pitfalls; basic understanding of saving files and uploading/downing; basic word processing and spreadsheet software skills; how to put together a slide show to go with a presentation
- personal safety
- s*xuality and relationships; emotional/mental safety in relationships (both friendships and intimate relationships)
- communication skills
- mental and physical health; nutrition; exercise; living a life of balance
- ins and outs of health care plan

Oh gosh, I don’t know a good amount of these things. and I didn’t know how to drive until I was 30 something. Oy.

great question OP!

• Like 2