Menu

Suggest a book in the true crime / mystery genre

Hyacinth

I listened to the audiobook of Sadie, by Courtney Summers.

It’s a fictional mystery, but done as if it is a podcast ( or at least partly, and the other parts are from the point of view of the guy doing the podcast) about a girl who goes missing after her sister is murdered. 

i thought it was really good. It is a young adult book, but I read a lot of ya fiction and it was well done. I think a nineteen y.o. who doesn’t read much but enjoys true crime podcasts would find it a comfortable transition.

eta: I listened to the audiobook but it is an actual pepper book as well

Edited by Emba
  • Like 1

Finally, someone who values my true crime knowledge! 

I'll try to list ones that are readily available.

• Small Sacrifices  and Bitter Harvest by Anne Rule (she has tons of true crime books, including some compilations)
  • Fatal Vision and Blind Faith by Joe McGinnis  (another prolific writer)
  • Bitter Almonds by Gregg Olsen; copycat of the Tylenol murders with lots of twists and interesting background of character (another prolific writer)
  • The Anatomy of Motive by John Douglas, former FBI profiler, goes into motives of a wide variety of criminals, including ordinary people who commit extraordinary crimes. The young agent in the Mindhunter tv series is based on Douglas. He has several other books and I recommend all of them, but this one is my fave for somewhat understanding what drives various types of criminals.

• Like 2

Not "true" crime, but fiction that feels like true crime:
- Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny (high quality of writing as well) -- 15 books so far; the first is Still Life
- Roland March trilogy by Mark Bertrand; the first is Back On Crime

A nonfiction title: The Devil in the White City (Larson) alternates chapters between a true gristly serial killer in Chicago, and the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

In 2001, the Crown Prince of Nepal gunned down his entire family and he later died. Lots of questions still exist about it. This is the better book about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Death-Kathmandu-Strange-Murder/dp/0312329946/ref=pd_sbs_14_2/138-0855931-0312400?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0312329946&pd_rd_r=151d4dea-ccd5-4e74-89af-e4004af3e31c&pd_rd_w=UD7K0&pd_rd_wg=OMWNk&pf_rd_p=b65ee94e-1282-43fc-a8b1-8bf931f6dfab&pf_rd_r=33MEYMQEDNJ443BS083B&psc=1&refRID=33MEYMQEDNJ443BS083B

India's 6th Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated by a suicide bomber. This is an account by a journalist who was conducting a series of interviews and narrowly escaped. She recreates the crime from planning to when the perpetuators were caught.

https://www.amazon.com/Assassination-Rajiv-Gandhi-Neena-Gopal/dp/0670088706

I am not the OP but these sound interesting to me.

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher is an interesting 19th century true crime book. (there is also a British TV series on Prime now based on this real-life detective)

https://www.amazon.com/Suspicions-Mr-Whicher-Victorian-Detective/dp/080271742X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=mr+whicher&qid=1602975906&s=books&sr=1-1

I also liked Fatal Vision mentioned above.

• Like 1

This isn't true crime either, but they felt real to me.  It's the George Gideon (of Scotland Yard) series from the 1950's and 60's. 

I stumbled upon the series about 15 years ago in our library and fell in love with them.

The first in the series is Gideon's Day.

I read a lot of mystery/suspense but not too much true crime anymore. A friend from college had a mystery/suspense book published this year so I bought it because I wanted to support him. I wasn’t sure what I was going to think - I’m pretty picky about the books that I read for pleasure, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I couldn’t put it down. I thought it was excellent. I’ll recommend it for that reason and also because you can be sure your niece hasn’t read it yet. The book is Adverse Effects by Joel Shulkin.