Menu

It makes sense now

Scarlett

My newest DIL often posts on FB extreme memes about 'kill all the pedophiles.'  I always think, 'that seems an odd subject for a 23 year old woman to be focusing on.' I never comment to her at all about those kinds of posts.

Now I am reading that QAnon is spreading this nonsense about the democrats running a demonic pedophile ring....suddenly.....it all makes sense.  Her father was running off at the mouth about all sorts of extreme conspiracy theories the one time we visited with him.  I think this is probably another one that they are believing in.

Ugh.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 16

4 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

My newest DIL often posts on FB extreme memes about 'kill all the pedophiles.'  I always think, 'that seems an odd subject for a 23 year old woman to be focusing on.' I never comment to her at all about those kinds of posts.

Now I am reading that QAnon is spreading this nonsense about the democrats running a demonic pedophile ring....suddenly.....it all makes sense.  Her father was running off at the mouth about all sorts of extreme conspiracy theories the one time we visited with him.  I think this is probably another one that they are believing in.

Ugh.

I haven't seen anything like this.  But I can think of 2 people on Facebook who may believe such stuff but they haven't been posting it and one just left Facebook.

Yes. FB has cracked down on the most overt stuff, but it's still showing up here and there. 

If it's not QAnon, it's stuff that essentially comes to the same conclusion but from another angle, such as paranoia about the Antichrist and how this is all a dress rehearsal. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

My other thought would be that she or someone close to her was a victim.

The conspiracy theories though are out there too.

That ran through my mind too.  But I am positive now it is this  conspiracy theory stuff.  Because I went to the page of a few of her reposts and they are all unhinged people. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I have *1* person on my FB feed who posts this stuff. She declared she would stop posting political stuff when FB started adding warnings to the things she shared. There was, previously, a lot of child trafficking stuff. The rabbit hole is deep.

Right?  And I can't just unfriend my new DIL.  I mean even though they won't let dh see his grandbaby.  Shrug.

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I don't have any FB friends who post this junk but it shows up on threads from friends of friends. A few days ago, someone responded to a friend's post with all kinds of ridiculous stuff about body doubles. 

A few months ago, I fell down the rabbit hole and researched a bunch of the QAnon theories. Some of these people actually believe that many Hollywood stars were executed for pedophilia or sent to Gitmo. A popular theory is that John McCain did not die from cancer but was really executed for treason. It's seriously crazy. Tom Hanks is one of the stars believed to be dead and replaced with a body double. 

I know there is no reasoning on this stuff....but I just want to know WHY?  Who did secret executions and why?  

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I know there is no reasoning on this stuff....but I just want to know WHY?  Who did secret executions and why?  

Similar to all the conspiracy theories about Covid-19. When you ask them WHY would this be a made-up virus, WHY is it worldwide, WHY are doctors motivated to over-report deaths, it's crickets. Or some unhinged theory. 

I hate the entire political right now. I HATE it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Right?  And I can't just unfriend my new DIL.  I mean even though they won't let dh see his grandbaby.  Shrug.

You can do a "snooze for 30 days" with her. That way you'll still be friends, and you can still check on her FB page on your timeline, but the posts won't appear in your field unless you go to her page. 

I had a couple of people start posting stuff about saving the trafficked children - very horrifying, detailed posts about what was being done to toddlers. I googled because I was so taken aback and they all stemmed from QAnon twitter users and FB pages. The Social Dilemma touched on this too, it was fascinating and terrifying at the same time how easy it is to go down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories like these.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I don't think one ever gets anywhere like that. The answer is because it's fun believing it and feeling like you're one step ahead of all the sheeple. Because it gives you cover for you stupid prejudices. Because actual thinking is too hard. Because you aren't interested in looking in the mirror. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I don't have any FB friends who post this junk but it shows up on threads from friends of friends. A few days ago, someone responded to a friend's post with all kinds of ridiculous stuff about body doubles. 

A few months ago, I fell down the rabbit hole and researched a bunch of the QAnon theories. Some of these people actually believe that many Hollywood stars were executed for pedophilia or sent to Gitmo. A popular theory is that John McCain did not die from cancer but was really executed for treason. It's seriously crazy. Tom Hanks is one of the stars believed to be dead and replaced with a body double. 

Chrissy Tiegen is one of the many celebrities on QAnon's list of alleged pedophiles. When she and John Legend lost their baby recently, her instagram page was filled with horrible posts from people saying they were glad her baby died, she deserved it because she is a disgusting pedophile, they probably sold the baby to their Satanic friends for body parts, and all kinds of just incredibly mean and vicious stuff.

I find the combination of ignorance, gullibility, and downright nastiness truly terrifying. It's almost as if the whole QAnon thing is a test to see how many people can be convinced of truly batshit crazy accusations and how many would be willing to act against QAnon's targets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 22

34 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

And a while back my former coworker sent me several things about Hollywood stars being pedophiles....and I was just like 'huh'.  

Honestly I feel like I am living in the twilight zone.

Be glad you've been able to be ignorant this long and that you've identified so few people caught up in it. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I have *1* person on my FB feed who posts this stuff. She declared she would stop posting political stuff when FB started adding warnings to the things she shared. There was, previously, a lot of child trafficking stuff. The rabbit hole is deep.

I saw a lot of these child trafficking posts relating to Hollywood and Democrats in the 2016 election cycle - there was mass hysteria on my FB feed about it at one point. But, I have since deleted my FB account, so, I did not know that the same pot is being stirred during the 2020 election cycle as well. Sometimes, it is great to be away from FB 🙂

• Like 7

Just now, mathnerd said:

I saw a lot of these child trafficking posts relating to Hollywood and Democrats in the 2016 election cycle - there was mass hysteria on my FB feed about it at one point. But, I have since deleted my FB account, so, I did not know that the same pot is being stirred during the 2020 election cycle as well. Sometimes, it is great to be away from FB 🙂

I met this woman during a semi work-related trip overseas. She seemed very nice just naive and kinda oblivious. Everything I’ve seen since confirms my first impressions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Pizzagate too. 🙄

11 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

You can do a "snooze for 30 days" with her. That way you'll still be friends, and you can still check on her FB page on your timeline, but the posts won't appear in your field unless you go to her page. 

I have done the above a lot lately.  Also, if DIL is reposting things, you can hide the group she reposted from. I use this a lot with a cousin who is very sweet but is very into animal rights, she posts some disturbing things in that regard. Like, I'm against animal cruelty even if I don't see it in action. So this way I still get to see stuff from my cousin but not the stuff that ruins my day.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

A number of years ago. I read one of these QAnon posts though I don't think it was named that then.  It was the Pizza place in DC and something about airplanes and something about art and I just thought it was completely nuts.

I think my one daughter who is married gets some of this stuff on her Facebook feed.  She has crazy in law relatives.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Chrissy Tiegen is one of the many celebrities on QAnon's list of alleged pedophiles. When she and John Legend lost their baby recently, her instagram page was filled with horrible posts from people saying they were glad her baby died, she deserved it because she is a disgusting pedophile, they probably sold the baby to their Satanic friends for body parts, and all kinds of just incredibly mean and vicious stuff.

I find the combination of ignorance, gullibility, and downright nastiness truly terrifying. It's almost as if the whole QAnon thing is a test to see how many people can be convinced of truly batshit crazy accusations and how many would be willing to act against QAnon's targets.

Another weird thing about them coming for Chrissy Tiegen is that she has repeatedly pointed out if those fake flight logs were true then she was a victim because she would have been a minor. Those crazy conspiracy people don’t care and keep coming for her though. It’s the weirdest thing.

I don’t know anyone in my circles that believe that stuff but I with have a hard time remaining friends with someone who did. It’s so strange.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

It might be in your best interest to just look at the baby photos and not do any deep dives into her online activity.

Also good general advice for anyone on Facebook.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

Can’t such celebrities bring a defamation suit against Qanon? Or is it because of the “anon” part that this is impossible? 

That anyone would say that about a baby’s death enrages me. 

20 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

It might be in your best interest to just look at the baby photos and not do any deep dives into her online activity.

Sure I agree.  I just went down rabbit hole today after what I heard on the news last night about QAnon and their obsession with pedophiles....

Oddly she posts about one baby photo for every 20 weird conspiracy theory post.

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Be glad you've been able to be ignorant this long and that you've identified so few people caught up in it. 

Lol....yes I am glad I have been ignorant.  Dh is very distressed that his son has married into such a family.  Dss24 is easily persuaded.....and just when he saw the light regarding his mom and her affairs he now is hooked with a family of conspiracy theorists.

• Sad 6

33 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I'm old enough to remember the hysteria about satanic daycare centers in the 1980s. 

Ah yes. Everything was satanic in the 70s and 80s. Stairway to Heaven. Troll dolls. My pencil box in second grade...

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

I know people who are literally terrified of child trafficking but still let their kids be alone with people from their church. They don't believe that people who go to their church could hurt their child. I'm sure I don't need to repeat here that we know that children are much more likely to be molested by someone who is well known to the family. 

Oh, gosh... wasn't it a decade ago now, some kid was killed by her next door neighbor who was also her Sunday School teacher? I remember people tearing that child's mother apart for letting her visit her friend alone. Why would she worry? This was her neighbor and  Sunday School teacher!

Surprisingly few people got incensed at the idea that this other woman would murder her own child's playmate during a casual visit....

Though this is an out of the norm case even when we consider that kids are most likely to be harmed by people known to them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I met this woman during a semi work-related trip overseas. She seemed very nice just naive and kinda oblivious. Everything I’ve seen since confirms my first impressions.

I wish those I know who are posting stuff were the oblivious kind. I could dismiss it more easily.

2 hours ago, Joker said:

I don’t know anyone in my circles that believe that stuff but I with have a hard time remaining friends with someone who did. It’s so strange.

My life right now...lots of these folks, many of whom I've unfriended; as someone else said, many who are left (and that were my IRL crowd) are just a couple of degrees of separation and don't care or think that their reasoning is sound. 

38 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Agreed. I know people who spread things that began with QAnon without realizing that's where it came from. I've unfriended and blocked everyone I know who is into this kind of stupid. No one in my family is into this. These were people from our former church full of COVID deniers and anti-vaxers. 

I'm old enough to remember the hysteria about satanic daycare centers in the 1980s. 

Sigh. So much this. And when it comes to church people, if you're posting lies, I have one of two responses...block/unfriend if you're way down the rabbit hole, or watch me fact check. Most people are posting stuff that can be checked in SECONDS. If there are "suspicious things" from people who truly don't know, I warn them. 

It's probably obnoxious, but I think that at some point, if reasonable people don't refute lies, at least where I live, there won't be anyone left who isn't sucked in.

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

Ah yes. Everything was satanic in the 70s and 80s. Stairway to Heaven. Troll dolls. My pencil box in second grade...

Care bears, smurfs, etc.

Now it's Celine Dion and her clothing line.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Just to point out, if these conspiracy theories were correct then everybody would know a few families with missing children. These people cannot do math.

Yeah I told someone that and she said that kids go missing from the local Target all the time. I asked how come we never hear about them or there is no Amber Alert and that is of course part of the cover up. So I walked right into that one. But she claimed it happens all the time. In fact, she has been there when it happened. 

• Confused 9
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Just to point out, if these conspiracy theories were correct then everybody would know a few families with missing children. These people cannot do math.

Yep.  My cousin posted that "masks make kids easier to kidnap" one and following out their numbers about the relative risks of catching COVID and being trafficked there would need to be more kidnapped kids birth to age five in my state than there are people in my state.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Yeah I told someone that and she said that kids go missing from the local Target all the time. I asked how come we never hear about them or there is no Amber Alert and that is of course part of the cover up. So I walked right into that one. But she claimed it happens all the time. In fact, she has been there when it happened. 

Well, I'm sure they do go missing in Target all the time. They walk into clothing racks or wander to the toy department and when their frantic mother can't find them she asks a store employee to help.

The fact that they wandered off themselves (not with a pedophile) and were found in 2 minutes doesn't matter, those two minutes were horrifying.

I've actually been in a few stores when a child went missing, but they were always found in minutes.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Danae said:

Yep.  My cousin posted that "masks make kids easier to kidnap" one and following out their numbers about the relative risks of catching COVID and being trafficked there would need to be more kidnapped kids birth to age five in my state than there are people in my state.

I heard the one about masks making it easier for people to take your kids on a plane to another state because their faces couldn't be matched to their IDs...well, your kids don't need photo ID to fly domestically. At least not so far--we flew summer of 2019 with no ID for our kid. They just asked him who he was. 

The person I pointed this out to was really nice about it, and I warned her about the hashtags involved in the post being related to conspiracy theories. She said she'd check it out, and I'm not seeing whacko stuff from her. Information for the win (I think)! 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Joker said:

Another weird thing about them coming for Chrissy Tiegen is that she has repeatedly pointed out if those fake flight logs were true then she was a victim because she would have been a minor. Those crazy conspiracy people don’t care and keep coming for her though. It’s the weirdest thing.

Well, with my DIL, I definitely wouldn't classify her as a friend.....I had hoped we could develop a relationship....and maybe as time goes on she will grow up.  She does have youth as an excuse for the moment.

My former co-worker.....we were actually close back in the day.  I sure don't see her the same way anymore.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I know people who refuse to allow their children to wear masks because of their fears about kidnapping. They also think that wearing masks is evil and they are keeping their kids home from school this year over the mask requirement. 

These are the same who harangue us all about "faith not fear." These are the people who are actually "cowering fear," not people who wear masks. 

It's gaslighting. 

I've started referring to the QAnon people as cult members.  And I've been ignoring (here and on fb) the people that insist I'm being petty and narrow minded for not allowing cult members more influence in my life.  No thanks!  I'll go make new friends instead. 

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I made the same point to someone who claimed that a child is abducted every 2 minutes in the USA. It's ideology at this point, IMHO. It's not harmless either. The people who are the most concerned about traffickers at Target are very lax about common sense protections of their children. 

I found a weird overlap between people who were overly concerned about their kid being snatched at Walmart and people who refused to put their kids in car seats. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I made the same point to someone who claimed that a child is abducted every 2 minutes in the USA. It's ideology at this point, IMHO. It's not harmless either. The people who are the most concerned about traffickers at Target are very lax about common sense protections of their children. 

Yeah. This is only very tangentially related, but I remember one time when that Kate Gosling lady (with the twins and sextuplets on tv) was doing an episode in which they were going on a trip somewhere, maybe Disney. She was putting black tape over their names on their backpacks so that only the initial showed. I mean...that might be a good strategy if you don’t happen to be a TV family with recognizable famous children who have been filmed since they could barely sit up...

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

23 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yeah. This is only very tangentially related, but I remember one time when that Kate Gosling lady (with the twins and sextuplets on tv) was doing an episode in which they were going on a trip somewhere, maybe Disney. She was putting black tape over their names on their backpacks so that only the initial showed. I mean...that might be a good strategy if you don’t happen to be a TV family with recognizable famous children who have been filmed since they could barely sit up...

How long ago was that show?  I never watched but remember the discussions about it here.

2 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

How long ago was that show?  I never watched but remember the discussions about it here.

Long ago. The sextuplets were born in 2004, same as my youngest child. So the show I’m thinking of was probably around 2007 or 8. 

The funny thing is, when that show first ran, I took a lot of encouragement from it. My youngest child was...challenging...and I would watch that show and think, “If she can manage with six babies his age, plus twins, I can muddle through.” It was later when she just seemed increasingly nutjob-ish. 

• Like 1

Here's the thing, once you see QAnon, QAnon is everywhere. Friends, neighbors, associates...QAnon. They are everywhere, and also...nowhere. The good thing is that once you've identified their true modus operandi like all of you have done here, it is very hard for them to hide in plain sight. The tells -- anti-pedophilia, anti child trafficking, sometimes you see Gadsden flag here or there (no step on snek) indicating a commitment to "liberty" or "patriotism".

That's the bad news.

The good news is that through protected sources on Twitter, I found out that Q himself will soon be indicted by SDNY. Probably looking at the death penalty for high treason, but maybe hard labor in a CIA blacksite.

I will probably have to join those with deleted accounts after this post. Yes, that was also QAnon exposing everyone's private information for their own purposes. WTM is really just the tip of the iceberg.

Stay frosty, ladies.

🤫🤐

• Haha 12

Is the Gadsden flag associated with Qanon followers? Cause my crazy neighbor put one up a while ago...that would explain some things. (same family is worried that "they" will put "stuff" in Covid vaccines. Sigh. 

Weirdest thing I've seen was today...someone said, "well, you know Mr. Rogers was probably a pedophile -I mean, I don't think there was proof, but with that many allegations...."

Um, what? Quick google says no, no allegations, no accusations of molestation, nothing. I quickly told her that spreading baseless rumors is NOT nice and that I'm sure she wouldn't want someone doing that to her or her family. Sigh. 

• Confused 6

3 hours ago, EmseB said:

Here's the thing, once you see QAnon, QAnon is everywhere. Friends, neighbors, associates...QAnon. They are everywhere, and also...nowhere. The good thing is that once you've identified their true modus operandi like all of you have done here, it is very hard for them to hide in plain sight. The tells -- anti-pedophilia, anti child trafficking, sometimes you see Gadsden flag here or there (no step on snek) indicating a commitment to "liberty" or "patriotism".

That's the bad news.

The good news is that through protected sources on Twitter, I found out that Q himself will soon be indicted by SDNY. Probably looking at the death penalty for high treason, but maybe hard labor in a CIA blacksite.

I will probably have to join those with deleted accounts after this post. Yes, that was also QAnon exposing everyone's private information for their own purposes. WTM is really just the tip of the iceberg.

Stay frosty, ladies.

🤫🤐

@EmseB, I am a little afraid to laugh at this post, because I'm not sure what point you're making. Are you saying people are seeing QAnon where none exists? 😕 

I've always found your posts well-thought out and have enjoyed talking to you even though we rarely agree, and I hope you don't leave. Assuming that was a serious comment you were making. 

Edited by Not_a_Number

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Is the Gadsden flag associated with Qanon followers? Cause my crazy neighbor put one up a while ago...that would explain some things. (same family is worried that "they" will put "stuff" in Covid vaccines. Sigh. 

Weirdest thing I've seen was today...someone said, "well, you know Mr. Rogers was probably a pedophile -I mean, I don't think there was proof, but with that many allegations...."

Um, what? Quick google says no, no allegations, no accusations of molestation, nothing. I quickly told her that spreading baseless rumors is NOT nice and that I'm sure she wouldn't want someone doing that to her or her family. Sigh. 

We have a Gadsden flag but are not Qanon people and we do not fly it outside either.  Nor do we worry about vaccines.  ( We have bought several different historical flags over the years on trips).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

We have a Gadsden flag but are not Qanon people and we do not fly it outside either.  Nor do we worry about vaccines.  ( We have bought several different historical flags over the years on trips).

My husband has the don't step on snek cute version on his backpack 🙂

The neighbor has one the size of a bedsheet...it's almost as wide as his house. 

• Haha 4