Jump to content

Menu

Recommended Posts

I'm about ready to just write it down, lol, but surely this exists?

I am doing DDP Yoga, and various youtube videos, etc. DDP Yoga App tracks my yoga. My fitbit will track that as "workout" but with no real other info. If I do a dance video, fitbit tracks it as a "workout" with no other info, or I think I can get DDP Yoga to track it as a "custom workout" with no other info, but I have to do it in real time, with my heart monitor on, no way to enter it later. And there is no way to PRINT a report from the fitbit or the ddp yoga app, if I want to say, show my doctor or whatever. 

Not sure if maybe myfitnesspal can do that?

Or apple watch app? DH keeps talking about wanting to get me one. 

Ideally I'd track steps , yoga, and other exercise in ONE place 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this would fit your needs but I'm pretty excited about the Amazon Halo. It's not out yet but if you're not in a huge hurry it might be worth the wait: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Halo-Fitness-And-Health-Band/dp/B07QJ6YL4T/ref=sr_1_3?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Activity+%26+Fitness+Trackers&qid=1602855081&s=exercise-and-fitness&sr=1-3&ts_id=5393958011

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm about ready to just write it down, lol, but surely this exists?

I am doing DDP Yoga, and various youtube videos, etc. DDP Yoga App tracks my yoga. My fitbit will track that as "workout" but with no real other info. If I do a dance video, fitbit tracks it as a "workout" with no other info, or I think I can get DDP Yoga to track it as a "custom workout" with no other info, but I have to do it in real time, with my heart monitor on, no way to enter it later. And there is no way to PRINT a report from the fitbit or the ddp yoga app, if I want to say, show my doctor or whatever. 

Not sure if maybe myfitnesspal can do that?

Or apple watch app? DH keeps talking about wanting to get me one. 

Ideally I'd track steps , yoga, and other exercise in ONE place 

? The Fitbit app will absolutely allow you to put in workouts retroactively - that's how I log almost all of my workouts. If you go to put in an exercise, there are two tabs, 'track' or 'log previous'. The second option is what you want. There's a zillion different types of exercise to choose from if you do it this way, including, of course, yoga and dance.

I have a much more accurate hr monitor I use realtime during my workouts. I use its calorie burn info to override fitbit's default suggestion (another thing you can do when entering workouts retroactively)

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Yeah, the printout you get is not....user friendly. It's a bunch of numbers...sleep shows up in minutes, not hours, activity has very little info, it's just a big mess. 

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

Here's what the Log Previous screen looks like.  I think the app is pretty much the same no matter which fitbit you have on your wrist?

 

Screenshot_2020-10-16-09-41-05.png

Ok, didn't realize I could override the calorie counts. What I'm wondering is, will that mess up my total calorie count - like when myfitness pal adjusts my calories burned from my fitbit data, will I get double calorie burn, from the steps I make during it, plus adding it in? May do that. Or I may do it in baritastic in the notes section. 

 

 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, didn't realize I could override the calorie counts. What I'm wondering is, will that mess up my total calorie count - like when myfitness pal adjusts my calories burned from my fitbit data, will I get double calorie burn, from the steps I make during it, plus adding it in? May do that. Or I may do it in baritastic in the notes section. 

I haven't been able to figure out the total calorie count.  When I look at 'minutes in x hr zone' and 'calories burned' it looks like the default numbers, but I think it might be increasing the total for the day??  The FB seems to undercount my calories - or my other hr monitor overcounts them, lol.  But my FB also seems to not work well to record accurate hr when I'm working out hard.  I've double-checked with a pulse-ox to see which one it matched, and it was not the FB.

Of course, personal rant, my FB, just a year old, is going totally wonky, randomly giving me super-high hr for long periods of time (I've done the spot-check there too, it's bogus), not syncing until I reboot it three times, running the battery down trying to sync if I don't catch it, having trouble charging properly, and no longer tracking my sleep most of the time.  Do these things usually poop out after just one year?  (Well, 13 months.  I'm guessing the warranty ran out right when it went kerflooey?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I haven't been able to figure out the total calorie count.  When I look at 'minutes in x hr zone' and 'calories burned' it looks like the default numbers, but I think it might be increasing the total for the day??  The FB seems to undercount my calories - or my other hr monitor overcounts them, lol.  But my FB also seems to not work well to record accurate hr when I'm working out hard.  I've double-checked with a pulse-ox to see which one it matched, and it was not the FB.

Of course, personal rant, my FB, just a year old, is going totally wonky, randomly giving me super-high hr for long periods of time (I've done the spot-check there too, it's bogus), not syncing until I reboot it three times, running the battery down trying to sync if I don't catch it, having trouble charging properly, and no longer tracking my sleep most of the time.  Do these things usually poop out after just one year?  (Well, 13 months.  I'm guessing the warranty ran out right when it went kerflooey?)

My first fitbit was so awesome. Lasted forever and withstood tons of abuse. I can't remember if I had one or two more after that one finally died, but it was not the same at all. It was like a completely different product.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

My first fitbit was so awesome. Lasted forever and withstood tons of abuse. I can't remember if I had one or two more after that one finally died, but it was not the same at all. It was like a completely different product.

What model of fitbit have people had really good results with?  I have an Alta, which is an older model, but really, I got it a year ago July!  (So, actually a few months longer than I thought, BUT STILL).  It's less than 1.5 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

What model of fitbit have people had really good results with?  I have an Alta, which is an older model, but really, I got it a year ago July!  (So, actually a few months longer than I thought, BUT STILL).  It's less than 1.5 years.

Ha, mine are older and wearing like iron--a Flex 2 and a Surge.

The Flex 2 is what I wear most of the time, and it just counts steps.   I wear it in a bangle, so I'm not getting sensitized day in and day out to the plastic band.  That's super important for me because once I'm sensitized to something, that's it--I usually can't ever wear it again without getting severe excema.  In theory it's waterproof in the plastic band so I could wear it for swimming, but I haven't actually ended up doing that.

The Surge is their first wristwatch with an internal GPS.  So it counts steps and distance even when I'm out of cell phone range, which is often when I'm doing longer hikes.  It also monitors heart rate so I can do HIIT and know how much time I was in each zone in a workout.  It does a bunch of other things that I have never used like splits, also.

These are old enough that the app will combine them.  The newer Fitbits are 'pick one and use it' devices so in order to install one on the app you have to forsake all others.

I get that the new ones have features that the old ones did not, but I am really glad that mine are holding up so well.  I think it's been 4 years now.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I haven't been able to figure out the total calorie count.  When I look at 'minutes in x hr zone' and 'calories burned' it looks like the default numbers, but I think it might be increasing the total for the day??  The FB seems to undercount my calories - or my other hr monitor overcounts them, lol.  But my FB also seems to not work well to record accurate hr when I'm working out hard.  I've double-checked with a pulse-ox to see which one it matched, and it was not the FB.

Of course, personal rant, my FB, just a year old, is going totally wonky, randomly giving me super-high hr for long periods of time (I've done the spot-check there too, it's bogus), not syncing until I reboot it three times, running the battery down trying to sync if I don't catch it, having trouble charging properly, and no longer tracking my sleep most of the time.  Do these things usually poop out after just one year?  (Well, 13 months.  I'm guessing the warranty ran out right when it went kerflooey?)

I've got an old Charge 2, and I think they are up to the 4 now. It is also giving me issues with not syncing...I've actually had to uninstall the app and reinstall it to make it sync!

And I wore a chest heart rate monitor today and yesterday, and when the Fitbit and up tight on my arm, rather than falling down to my wrist, they match. But, with yoga I'm in Down Dog and Table and Cat Arch and Cobra and Plank and so it keeps slipping down to my wrist - and then it does NOT match up. Like, 30 BPM less at times. 

Oh, and the last two times I tried to charge it, the cord was not JUST right, and it didn't charge. So then I have to charge it during the day, and I miss all those steps, lol. 

My husband is hoping he's talked me into an apple watch - if we get it through the cell phone service we use it is $20 a month, no downpayment....and I'm NEVER near my phone when he's trying to call me. So he has a selfish interest in me having a phone like device strapped to my body. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My apple watch does have Yoga as a workout option.  It estimates calories burned based on heart rate and weight input in the phone app.  You do have to have it fairly tight (the next notch looser from the tightest one you can fasten) in order for those in order to be accurate.

I've never tried to print anything from the health app, I've just used it to record information and verbally tell doctors, but even if there isn't a set way, you can definitely screen shot the page with the information you want and print that.

I don't have the cell phone service on my watch but in most of the house I can still answer my phone through my watch, though it does drain the battery.  It's several years old.  Another positive is that if a kid wanders off with my phone or I'm a dolt and forget where I left it (usually on a changing table), I can press a button on my watch and the alarm goes off on my phone.  I don't need someone to call me and everyone to be quiet while I listen for vibrations.

I'm planning on upgrading mine soon so I get the waterproof + O2 + EKG capabilities of the newest one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Katy said:

My apple watch does have Yoga as a workout option.  It estimates calories burned based on heart rate and weight input in the phone app.  You do have to have it fairly tight (the next notch looser from the tightest one you can fasten) in order for those in order to be accurate.

I've never tried to print anything from the health app, I've just used it to record information and verbally tell doctors, but even if there isn't a set way, you can definitely screen shot the page with the information you want and print that.

I don't have the cell phone service on my watch but in most of the house I can still answer my phone through my watch, though it does drain the battery.  It's several years old.  Another positive is that if a kid wanders off with my phone or I'm a dolt and forget where I left it (usually on a changing table), I can press a button on my watch and the alarm goes off on my phone.  I don't need someone to call me and everyone to be quiet while I listen for vibrations.

I'm planning on upgrading mine soon so I get the waterproof + O2 + EKG capabilities of the newest one.

Ok, wait - the alarm will go off on the phon even if it is on silent? Really? If so, I'm sold, lol. (although....that may negate some of the health benefits...I swear I gt half my daily steps searching the house for my phone a few times a day, lol)

And good to know about the yoga, my fitbit just lists run, walk, bike, and "workout" I think. 

Edited by ktgrok
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, wait - the alarm will go off on the phon even if it is on silent? Really? If so, I'm sold, lol. (although....that may negate some of the health benefits...I swear I gt half my daily steps searching the house for my phone a few times a day, lol)

And good to know about the yoga, my fitbit just lists run, walk, bike, and "workout" I think. 

Yep, even on silent. DH is thinking about getting one for himself just for that reason.

It has a bunch of workout options - Outdoor walk, Other, Strength Training, Indoor walk, Play, Outdoor run, outdoor cycle, Indoor run, Indoor cycle, Elliptical, Rower, Stair Stepper, High Intensity Interval Training, Hiking, Yoga, and a custom "add workout" option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

And good to know about the yoga, my fitbit just lists run, walk, bike, and "workout" I think. 

Have you looked at what's available on your fitbit if you do Log Previous instead of Track? Yoga is there along with at least 20-30 other things - kayaking,  rowing, circuit training, weights, kettlebell, kickboxing, aerobics, dancing, ballet, boxing, cricket (!), curling (!!), tai chi, scuba diving, fencing.... let's just say the list is quite extensive. Not sure why the options are so much more limited if you track it realtime - but you're right that the track feature has very few options.

Edited by Matryoshka
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Have you looked at what's available on your fitbit if you do Log Previous instead of Track? Yoga is there along with at least 20-30 other things - kayaking,  rowing, circuit training, weights, kettlebell, kickboxing, aerobics, dancing, ballet, boxing, cricket (!), curling (!!), tai chi, scuba diving, fencing.... let's just say the list is quite extensive. Not sure why the options are so much more limited if you track it realtime - but you're right that the track feature has very few options.

Ok, that is just weird, lol. 

But then, we get back to the weird calorie/exercise adjustment issue...which I know I'm overthinking, lol. 

9 hours ago, Katy said:

Yep, even on silent. DH is thinking about getting one for himself just for that reason.

It has a bunch of workout options - Outdoor walk, Other, Strength Training, Indoor walk, Play, Outdoor run, outdoor cycle, Indoor run, Indoor cycle, Elliptical, Rower, Stair Stepper, High Intensity Interval Training, Hiking, Yoga, and a custom "add workout" option.

I think waterproof plus can make my missing phone alarm are enough to put me over the edge. I have a pool and although we are at the tail end of swimming season, I hate having to take my fitbit off to swim/do water aerobics, hang with the kids. I take it off, set it on the edge of the pool, and then forget about for hours/days. Plus I have to take it off to take a bath, and then I forget to put it back on.

 

Edited by ktgrok
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, what I realized is that in the activity log on my fitbit I can go back and change the name of the workout, after the fact. So I hit the workout feature on the fitbit itself while working out, then later change the name of the workout. That way I don't get double counts from adding it later. And I can be as specific as I want in the description! that's what I wanted!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, what I realized is that in the activity log on my fitbit I can go back and change the name of the workout, after the fact. So I hit the workout feature on the fitbit itself while working out, then later change the name of the workout. That way I don't get double counts from adding it later. And I can be as specific as I want in the description! that's what I wanted!

And some Fitbits are waterproof.  I swim in my Versa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 11:19 AM, Laura Corin said:

And some Fitbits are waterproof.  I swim in my Versa.

Ok, had I seen this yesterday I might have been sold on it! But, we ordered an apple watch for my last night - which at least is a 0% interest payment plan rather than upfront expense. And since we have apple phones and macbooks, the integration is probably better. otherwise, the new Versa 2 is impressive!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...