Menu

What are you doing to take care of yourself?

mommyoffive

I take meds and supplements. 
I go to physical therapy and do their exercises every day. 
I pray

I read the Bible. 
Lately I have discovered how comforting it is to read quotes from believers who have faced hard times (like Corrie Ten Boom). 
I reach out to good friends via text and phone. 
I make a tackle list and stick to it because being productive keeps my mind off my troubles and I like being productive. 
I eat healthy foods. 
I get enough sleep or at least try to. 
I cuddle with my animals. 
I connect with my spouse. 
I call my mom95

• Like 12

I’ve been lap swimming with my 22 year old 3-5 hours Each week. I think I’ve figured out a system to get more lane space so we can consistently be at 5 hours. She bought me a micro tablet with waterproof ear buds, so I can have music to help me finish strong. 

I’ve also been spending part of each weekend sewing myself a few new outfits. Even though I just go from the house to the pool, there is no reason that I shouldn’t look fabulous doing it. Right? 

• Like 8

I told dh it was time to retire the portable urinal because he needs to get up and move more and I'm frankly just tired of doing it multiple times a day (I didn't say the last part).  It was wearing on me... a lot. It's been a month since he broke his leg (pilon fracture) and 2.5 weeks post surgery. It's time to get up and start moving, even if it's only using a wheelchair to get from point A to point B. Of course, I should have foreseen that it would blow up in my face so instead of doing something for myself to make my life a little easier, the whole broken leg, DH home 24/7 thing has gotten a lot worse. 

I don't know why I add this to this thread. I guess I just needed to say it somewhere. I'm sorry.

• Sad 13

19 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I told dh it was time to retire the portable urinal because he needs to get up and move more and I'm frankly just tired of doing it multiple times a day (I didn't say the last part).  It was wearing on me... a lot. It's been a month since he broke his leg (pilon fracture) and 2.5 weeks post surgery. It's time to get up and start moving, even if it's only using a wheelchair to get from point A to point B. Of course, I should have foreseen that it would blow up in my face so instead of doing something for myself to make my life a little easier, the whole broken leg, DH home 24/7 thing has gotten a lot worse. 

I don't know why I add this to this thread. I guess I just needed to say it somewhere. I'm sorry.

Aw, Stephanie...I'm so sorry.  That's really hard.  I've been thinking about you and your DH and wondering how he was doing, but didn't consider how it would all affect you.  Sending hugs.  

• Like 3

Staying Home!!! I'm like 100 time happier keeping myself and the kids home. I apparently despised the kids commitments.  I'm very much introverted and I've never been more content. I'm actually feeling nervous thinking about getting back out into the world. I have so much more quality time with my kids and I love it.  The only thing I have made a point to do is I get out twice a month when she is off work and one the kids comes with me to thrift stores. I'm enjoying this a lot.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Staying Home!!! I'm like 100 time happier keeping myself and the kids home. I apparently despised the kids commitments.  I'm very much introverted and I've never been more content. I'm actually feeling nervous thinking about getting back out into the world. I have so much more quality time with my kids and I love it.  The only thing I have made a point to do is I get out twice a month when she is off work and one the kids comes with me to thrift stores. I'm enjoying this a lot.

I never realized how much I like being home and how introverted I am until the shutdown.  I'm perfectly content being at home almost all of the time and I enjoy not having commitments.  Plus it's a great excuse for turning down get togethers now.  

• Like 4

Walking

morning coffee with my boyfriend -we're both working at home

staying home - I'm also part hermit

drinking😏 - in moderation of course (Kraken dark roast is my new winter drink - mixed with coffee or just diluted with hot water)

napping about every other day

catching up on my favorite shows - I'm finally catching up with Supernatural - now about 5 episodes behind. 

Trying to define work and off hours - college is horrible for needing to work all the time - but I'm working on creating a stop time for work for the day and limit how much I work on weekends. 

I'm going to attempt Nanowrimo this year for my mental well-being. I participated successfully for a decade but gave it up when I started grad school. I may be delusional, but I'm trying again this November. 

• Like 5

I did start vegetable gardening again and added a perennial garden—somewhat for my sanity and somewhat for dd.  Now I’m at a loss.  DH and I are completely wiped out.  We have taken a couple of weekends away from the house and kids and it was wonderful.  Not nearly enough.  We have secret desires to run away from them for a month.

• Like 4

Staying home as much as possible.

Wearing a mask when out in public.

Practicing gratitude.

Trying to not get ahead of myself.  Only thinking about today and the immediate future as far as the pandemic goes and avoiding "what ifs" as much as possible.  Easier said than done, but I am trying.

I am eternally grateful that I am an introvert.  Being home this much has been heavenly.  I am thankful for this.

Setting boundaries....which I am fantastic with.  Limited news intake......it is simply too overwhelming and stressful.  I get the highlights in small doses so that I am informed, but not hurting myself by taking in too much.

Reading.

Practicing self care as much as is possible....with lots of room for treats too.

Staying offline more.  No social media.

Safety first..........always.

• Like 5

- Getting outside for exercise, often with friends and family (hikes, bike rides, doubles tennis)

- Eating healthy, avoiding alcohol

- Relaxing with reading, baths, restorative yoga

- Try not to over-schedule myself (which isn't too hard these days when lots of activities are cancelled)

- Designing and building a yen garden that I can sit in and look at out the kitchen window throughout the winter. I'm really excited about this project! 😃

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ditto said:

This has been much easier said than done but I am trying to do the same thing.

This is why I only do 20 minutes. I can make myself do almost anything unpleasant for 20 stupid minutes. It’s a mental thing. For some reason a WHOLE HALF HOUR sounds so much meaner.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

A lot of things.

Walking outside with dh, by myself or with a friend

Enjoying treats like German wine and Pains aux Chocolate

Always learning new things and reading; practicing French daily and posting/reading in the languages thread

Learning more about law. Trying to get my foot in the door at a law firm again. 

Baking tasty breads and tricky things. I am going to try making croissants and, if that turns out, pain au chocolate. 

Loom knitting blankets for more great nieces and nephews. 

Cleaning up and working on some spaces in my house. I painted the room downstairs that is our “gym” room. It was just drywall and unpainted trim. But I did all the caulking, priming and painting (while listening to audiobooks) and now I feel happy to go in there to work out. 

Getting off FB. Focusing on friends I want to be around and letting the problem people fade from prominence. Who cares what those irrelevant people think about wearing masks or who they’re voting for? 

Working on better communication skills. 

• Like 3

I was never too bad about taking care of myself. When the kids were very small, there were a couple of years where my needs were on the back burner.  But I‘ve always been good about taking care of myself.

With this pandemic, I’m like other posters who have discovered just how very introverted they are. I’m enjoying being at home almost all the time.  I feel more content now than I have in years. The only thing I miss are one-on-one lunches with friends. But I’ve even managed a few of those, albeit outside in the backyard.

I take a couple of vitamins each day (D and a multivitamin). I wasn’t very good about doing that before the pandemic.

I need a little alone time each day. Since the family is home with me 24/7, I stay up a bit late and go to bed around 12 or 12:30, and sleep until 8 or 8:30.  I get an hour or two at the end of the day to sit quietly reading or playing a mindless game on the ipad without interruption.

I am keeping up with cooking our normal meals so we don’t eat a bunch of junk.

But at the same time, we love going out to eat. So every Wed. night we all eat a small dinner at home. Then about an hour after eating, dh and I head to the local Chinese restaurant and get soup for takeout.  It’s cheap and we sit in the car for a bit chit-chatting.  Sometimes we even try to eat the soup in the car, but that’s kinda tricky with boiling hot soup in a car.  We bring soup home for the boys and it’s still hot.

Every Sat we order dinner out.  Some weeks it’s $5 pizzas and other weeks it’s something a little more special. And we don’t all have to eat at the same place if we don’t want to. We can make a run to a few places and bring it all home.  That’s kinda nice, since we’re all a little picky in our own way.  We all look forward to Sat dinner. It’s the highlight of the week for me, as the cook of the family.

I have made peace with turning down invitations for indoor events, with the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas with the family. Some family members won’t wear masks, but my group will and we’ll cross our fingers that our masks are good enough.  

I was out on a walk in a national park last weekend and was more sore than I ought to have been the next day, so I will probably add in some exercise. I’d been neglecting exercise as I don’t really enjoy it.  DH just got one of those virtual headsets today, and I will probably get some sort of game that has you move around as a fun way to get me moving.  (I dislike being outside.)

And usually on either Sat or Sun, I don’t do much of anything. I have never had trouble with taking a day off each week to just chill and relax. I read books or watch movies or whatever on my day off.

NOTE: All of this is helped by the fact that the kids are 15 and 18. It wasn’t quite this peaceful when they were smaller.  It was harder to get that day off each week, but I was never a martyr mom.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Many of the same things others have mentioned: sleep, healthy food, vitamins, outdoor exercise, sunshine, connecting with friends, calling my mom.

I enjoy my leadership role in my daughter's AHG troop. It is work, but mostly restorative and not  frustrating or draining. I am extroverted and the people time is important for me. All our activities are outside.

I am pursuing more outdoor skills and training and experiences both for my role in AHG and because I enjoy it. Learning, always learning! @regentrude has inspired me to become a hiker and camper again. @Ottakee too! Kayaking! I am taking on outdoor adventures, even when I am over 50! 

Reading literature has been good learning and fun for me over the last months too. I have always been a reader, but not a natural at reading literature well. Close Reads and The Literary Life podcasts have taught me lots. I think I am improving as a reader and that encourages me. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Editing to say that I’m so sorry.  It didn’t register with me that you said this blew up in your face, and things are worse.  I apologize for misunderstanding.  I hope it gets better soon, and you can let the urinal go, I know how exhausting that can be.  

Going to edit this post.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

Last month my DD was in the hospital for several weeks. They required the parents to make a self-care plan since her condition is ongoing. So, I made a list of 6 things. My goal is to hit at least 3 a day. 

1) Exercise 15 minutes. This one needs to bump up to a non-negotiable I think. It's been consistently ignored for other things on the list. 

2) Take all supplements and medicine. I'm good with DD's, but I often forgot mine. I've been doing this one almost every day since I started the self-care plan, so it's about to get bumped for a new habit. So, I'm looking at this thread to see what has been mentioned.

3) Read 1 chapter in a book for me. Getting pretty good at this one. I read during lunchtime.

4) Go outside for 15 minutes. 

5) Clean or declutter one thing in the house. Yesterday, I tackled a huge pile of stuff in the master bedroom; it's so much more peaceful in there now. It only took 20 minutes total so I don't know why I let it go this long. 

6) Something just for me for 15 minutes, things on this list include a bubble bath, sudoku/kokuro, crafts, guided meditation via the Calm app, a TV show, or a board game or computer game. Back at the beginning of lockdown, I built a little wooden house from Walmart. I am currently making sculpy candies in order to make a permanent gingerbread house. I should be getting white puffy paint in my Walmart pickup today to simulate icing. So, I'll get it done hopefully sometime this week. I made a Halloween front door hanging a couple of weeks ago to display during October. 

I've cut FB and Twitter down to a short period in the morning; after that, I shut it off and I'll figure out what I missed tomorrow. I do hang out here a lot more though.

• Like 5

Such a good thread.  So many things to try!

Coffee on the front porch with DH every morning.

Vitamins and supplements for all.

Working and planning ahead on our school stuff, so things stay calm and focused.  

Exercise 5 days a week.  I do about 45 minutes, sometimes more.  I watch shows while exercising, and it’s a treat.

Working on enough sleep.

Lots of sorting and letting things go here.

Staying home.  Feeling grateful that we can.

Staying in touch with extended family.

Projects.

Periodic news breaks.

Spending focused time with each household member.

Reading a lot.

Treats - good wine, chocolate, good food.

We gardened, loved that.

Oh, and our pandemic purchase of an inflatable hot tub is still paying off. Its replaced the almost nightly bubble bath.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Amoret said:

If you don't already have a recipe in mind, I have made the croissants from the Flour cookbook several times and they always work out. Her directions are really clear and easy to follow. The book has a pain au chocolate recipe as well, although I have never made it. You have to start 2 days ahead of time -- the first day is mixing, the second day is rolling and pressing, and the third day is baking. Also, don't let them rise in a place that is too warm or the butter in the dough will melt and run out.

Thank you. I’ll check it out. I have two books with instructions on croissants (though only one has a pain au chocolat version) and a YouTube video saved as well. I do know it takes a few days; I’m sure that’s why it’s taking me so long to just give it a go! 

1 hour ago, Amoret said:

If you don't already have a recipe in mind, I have made the croissants from the Flour cookbook several times and they always work out. Her directions are really clear and easy to follow. The book has a pain au chocolate recipe as well, although I have never made it. You have to start 2 days ahead of time -- the first day is mixing, the second day is rolling and pressing, and the third day is baking. Also, don't let them rise in a place that is too warm or the butter in the dough will melt and run out.

Ooooh. Thank you! I've never made croissants... 

• Like 2

Your posts are inspiring. I need to go back and take notes when I have more time!

I got my first flu shot ever.

I've lost six and a half pounds so far while playing DietBet (needed that extra push).

I went to the doctor for help with my insomnia and feel SO much better with more sleep. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Aww, I am so sorry.   I have been thinking of you and wondering how things are going.   I think it was good you told him that.  One thing off your plate is a good thing.  Can you do other things to take more off your plate right now?  Do you have kids at home too?  Take care of yourself.   You have to have your gas mask on first to save anyone else.  Even if it is just locking yourself in the bathroom for a bit to get some peace.    I have done that more than a few times this pandemic and had a good cry.  A cup of tea in silence.   A savory piece of chocolate.   Just binge watching a show and forget about everything for an hour.   Thinking of you and sending some low stress vibes.

I am glad you got to vent.    We are here for you.  Vent away.   Sometimes that makes it better,  just getting it out.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Kassia said:

Does stress eating count?  I've been stress eating to soothe my anxiety, but then I get anxious worrying about weight gain...

This is me. I did so well the first 3-4 months of the pandemic but the last 2 months have kicked my butt and I've regained all the weight I had lost. It's a vicious cycle - anxiety- stress eat - gain weight-feel awful- eat to feel better - anxiety - eat-and so on and so forth.

I need to do something. I went from 15,000 -25,000 steps per day to barely 8,000 a day. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

Your posts are inspiring. I need to go back and take notes when I have more time!

I got my first flu shot ever.

I've lost six and a half pounds so far while playing DietBet (needed that extra push).

I went to the doctor for help with my insomnia and feel SO much better with more sleep. 

Any tips for the general public here? I need help!!! 😉

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Any tips for the general public here? I need help!!! 😉

Ambien. That stuff rocks. It only puts you to sleep, doesn't keep you asleep, so no grogginess in the morning. It can create psychological dependence because it works so well, but doesn't (so says my doctor) create physical dependence. My NP friend said it doesn't interfere with the sleep cycle. It can be taken as needed. 

My only trouble is the young pharmacist who has been snotty to me about my prescription twice. Yes, it is a controlled substance. No, I am not a drug addict. And BTW, it is none of your business what medicine MY doctor prescribes to ME.  So keep your attitude to yourself. 😞 I cried when I got home last time and my husband was all revved up to go in there. But, small town and who knows what is ahead for the country. Don't want to be on the pharmacist's bad side.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Just now, MercyA said:

Ambien. That stuff rocks. It only puts you to sleep, doesn't keep you asleep, so no grogginess in the morning. It can create psychological dependence because it works so well, but doesn't (so says my doctor) create physical dependence. My NP friend said it doesn't interfere with the sleep cycle. It can be taken as needed. 

My only trouble is the young pharmacist who has been snotty to me about my prescription twice. Yes, it is a controlled substance. No, I am not a drug addict. And BTW, it is none of your business what medicine MY doctor prescribes to ME. So keep your attitude to yourself. 😞 

That's good to know, thank you. I've had bouts of insomnia, so it's good to hear a recommendation. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MercyA said:

My only trouble is the young pharmacist who has been snotty to me about my prescription twice. Yes, it is a controlled substance. No, I am not a drug addict. And BTW, it is none of your business what medicine MY doctor prescribes to ME.  So keep your attitude to yourself. 😞 I cried when I got home last time and my husband was all revved up to go in there. But, small town and who knows what is ahead for the country. Don't want to be on the pharmacist's bad side.

I want to use both the trophy and the crying face descriptor for this post. So glad you've found something that works. So sad that the young pharmacist is so completely unprofessional. Can you make a complaint to the manager of the business? I certainly would. It's one thing to be aware of the medications one is handing out, but if there is an issue then go to the doctor and not the patient. They may be noticing a trend that concerns them, but to pick on a poor woman who is struggling with sleep is NOT cool. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I want to use both the trophy and the crying face descriptor for this post. So glad you've found something that works. So sad that the young pharmacist is so completely unprofessional. Can you make a complaint to the manager of the business? I certainly would. It's one thing to be aware of the medications one is handing out, but if there is an issue then go to the doctor and not the patient. They may be noticing a trend that concerns them, but to pick on a poor woman who is struggling with sleep is NOT cool. 

Yes, I have thought of letting the manager know. I probably would if it happened again, but I will likely switch pharmacies for the next refill.

There is no trend for her to notice, as I fill my regular prescriptions (except urgent antibiotics) out of town for the sake of cost, and this is the first time I've been prescribed this drug. I think perhaps I had one or two antidepressants listed in the system from years ago, when my doctor and I were first working on my OCD treatment. But again, not her business and certainly not evidence of any kind of addiction. 

Edited by MercyA

1 hour ago, The Accidental Coach said:

This is me. I did so well the first 3-4 months of the pandemic but the last 2 months have kicked my butt and I've regained all the weight I had lost. It's a vicious cycle - anxiety- stress eat - gain weight-feel awful- eat to feel better - anxiety - eat-and so on and so forth.

I need to do something. I went from 15,000 -25,000 steps per day to barely 8,000 a day. 

Same here.  I did really well at first and now I'm just falling apart.  

14 minutes ago, MercyA said:

That's awful about the pharmacist!  I'm sorry he or she makes you feel bad about something you are taking.  😞

7 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Yes, I agree with everything you wrote here and often find posts where I don't know which descriptor to use!  

• Thanks 1

I signed up for a medical weight loss program.  

I honestly probably need bariatric surgery but it's not available locally.  It's just not in the cards right now to do it with a Dr and hospital 3 hours away. 

I am hopeful that prescription meds along with accountability will be enough to keep me on track long term.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

Yes, I have thought of letting the manager know. I probably would if it happened again, but I will likely switch pharmacies for the next refill.

There is no trend for her to notice, as I fill my regular prescriptions (except urgent antibiotics) out of town for the sake of cost, and this is the first time I've been prescribed this drug. I think perhaps I had one or two antidepressants listed in the system from years ago, when my doctor and I were first working on my OCD treatment. But again, not her business and certainly not evidence of any kind of addiction. 

I was thinking more along the lines of a trend where many doctors (or certain doctors) prescribe this drug for an increasing number of patients within a particular time frame. 

You know how the use of opioids has gotten out of control and some researchers are going back to notice trends in pain meds that doctors are prescribing patients? Perhaps a young pharmacist is simply being aware of these things. It's not about you personally, rather about 250 people (for example) all adding up over time.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

I signed up for a medical weight loss program.  

I honestly probably need bariatric surgery but it's not available locally.  It's just not in the cards right now to do it with a Dr and hospital 3 hours away. 

I am hopeful that prescription meds along with accountability will be enough to keep me on track long term.

Good luck!  Losing weight is hard!  I hope this program makes it easier for you.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

This is why I only do 20 minutes. I can make myself do almost anything unpleasant for 20 stupid minutes. It’s a mental thing. For some reason a WHOLE HALF HOUR sounds so much meaner.

I completely agree with you!!!  I thought I was the only one that felt this way, so glad I'm not alone.