Menu

Hi Enigma!

My son is 5 and my daughter is 3. This year we are using:

The Peaceful Preschool: early phonics, early writing, literature, gross and fine motor, mathematics, art, fully scripted, 4-day/week program

Preschool Math at Home: math

Mudpies and Magnets: science

Hebrew Through Movement: we're a Jewish family, so I wanted to start introducing the sounds of Hebrew

I threw out A Year of Playing Skillfully. I just needed more planned out, structured time. AYOPS was too overwhelming for someone like me; I'm sure the kids would have loved it.

Edited by heres_a_llama
  • Like 1

My 4 year old loves doing school with me and trying to keep up with bigger siblings (6&8). He's been working through Progressive Phonics and the I See Sam stories. Math is MEP level 1, and handwriting is The Good and the Beautiful preK. He also tags along with the bigger kids' science, history, literature, etc. The only requirement he has is not to interrupt read alouds. Otherwise, he can choose whether to do any lessons on a given day. Generally, he's very keen, and I just have to try to find time. We've also got an almost 2 year old in the mix. Right now our evening read aloud includes nursery rhymes and fairy tales to make sure they get something summer just at them.

I finished 100 Easy Lessons a while ago with my 4 year old, and now she reads to herself. I've also started to teach her place value and counting on. We need to schedule actual math lessons for her 🙂 . 

Other than that, she listens to read alouds and plays. 

• 2 weeks later...

Adding: I am considering the following:

TGTB PreK

McRuffy PreK

MP Charter 2-day or Religious 2- or 5- day JrK

Blossom and Root Early Years Yr 2

I'm having a hard time making a choice. I have spent vast amounts of time looking at the upper levels of all of these programs that are available to get a feel for where and how they will lead us on this educational adventure. I feel like the first two are similar in presentation, etc.. The other 2 are exact opposites! Year 1 jitters = Freezing up

Edited by Enigma6
14 hours ago, Enigma6 said:

Adding: I am considering the following:

TGTB PreK

McRuffy PreK

MP Charter 2-day or Religious 2- or 5- day JrK

Blossom and Root Early Years Yr 2

I'm having a hard time making a choice. I have spent vast amounts of time looking at the upper levels of all of these programs that are available to get a feel for where and how they will lead us on this educational adventure. I feel like the first two are similar in presentation, etc.. The other 2 are exact opposites! Year 1 jitters = Freezing up

I really, really, really wouldn’t worry about using the same program in pre-k as you will use later.  Kids change.  Your lives change. I’ve had kids who started at age four not recognizing the letters in their name who were suddenly ready to read and reading chapter books by five. I could not have planned for that!!

You don’t need a preschool program, but if you want one, pick what looks good RIGHT NOW and have a fun year.  Take care of next year when it comes.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He asked to learn to read so we did 100 Easy Lessons and we're satisfied for now. I do plan for CLE Learning to Read next year, for more depth.

We are halfway through Rod and Staff's ABC series. He is finishing book F this week and it's the best book so far. He's quite excited to move on to the animal books that make up the second half.

• Like 1