Menu

How many campaign calls/texts/mailings are you getting? Purple state blues...

I've never lived in a state that was in play before. We live in Arizona. 

I'm receiving about 5 texts every day about the election. I'm receiving texts from both sides of the aisle. Most of the texts are about the senate race. We receive multiple political calls every day on our land line. We never use the land line and have never given that number to anyone. For the past two weeks, about 80% of our mail is political from both sides. The mailings are for the for the presidential and senate race and several down-ballot races. 

We thankfully do not watch real TV so we're spared the TV ads. But we watch a lot of Youtube and just about every Youtube video has a political ad now. One day it's Mark Kelly (Dem senate candidate) and Biden. The next day it's Trump and McSally (GOP senate candidate). My kids has so many questions about the election because of the Youtube ads. 

What are you getting? 

We vote by mail and I plan on marking my ballot this weekend after I research the ballot questions. Unfortunately that won't stop the mailings, calls, and texts. 

• Like 1

Arizona also. I am registered independent.

The texts have stopped about a week ago, before that it was 2-3 a day. Only Democrats.

1 Phone call a day for me; DH has his phone on airplane mode now because the calls were much more for him. Only Democrats for me, DH thinks its a mix for him but he didn't pay attention, just got irritated.

My main (only) media consumption is Pandora. Every ad is political now, except one for a Chase bank card, but I don't see that ad every day. I listen to Latino pop, so most of my ads are in Spanish. I will say 95%+ of the ads I hear are for Kelly (Democrat) and Biden (Democrat) or Democrats in general. It's been a while since I've heard a Republican ad. (eta: Oh, there's a McDonald's ad that's been running since Monday I think, too)

My husband does mostly Youtube, he says 80% political ads right now, maybe a 60-40 split between Democrats and Republicans. He (and he is truly out of the loops, does not watch news, does not watch anything current events, does not follow politics, does not know who anyone is and will do his research the week before the ballot) actually came out of his room to tell me that a McSally (Republican) ad against Kelly was distasteful, but I haven't seen it myself.

75% of the mail is political now. This is a mostly even split between parties. 

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 1

So far I've only gotten calls about local issues - some tax levies for the rec center and schools.  This is new though - I've never gotten calls about such things before, that I recall.

I am not sure why, but I rarely if ever get calls about political candidates, despite living in a swing state.  I must not be on the lists they use.  😛

• Like 1

Almost none, except for E-mail (and part of that is that I've e-mailed pretty much every elected official that is connected to me about something or other in the last few years). My deceased FIL, however, seems to have been on every pro-conservative mailing list, and apparently Florida was a major target, because we are getting at TON of mail addressed to him, even though even if he were still alive, the TN address would indicate that he is probably no longer a Florida voter...

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SKL said:

So far I've only gotten calls about local issues - some tax levies for the rec center and schools.  This is new though - I've never gotten calls about such things before, that I recall.

I am not sure why, but I rarely if ever get calls about political candidates, despite living in a swing state.  I must not be on the lists they use.  😛

I should correct this - there is one person who went to law school with me and started running for [state/local] office several years ago.  We didn't know each other, but she put me on her email list, which annoyed me.  I told them to remove me but they put me back on.  The second, salty "take me off" message must have gotten through.  😛

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

Arizona also. I am registered independent.

I'm also registered independent. DH is registered democrat. We've noticed that I receive mailings that he does not get. For example, I got a GOP voting guide yesterday which DH did not get. I assume it's because I'm registered independent so they think they have a chance with me (🤣)). 

• Like 1

I try really hard to not answer the phone, so I’m not sure how many calls are political vs. normal spam/scams.  My texts are out of control though. Somewhere along the line, my dd put my number down because I’m also getting texts addressed to her.

• Like 1

Red state.  Texts and emails out of control.  Even some phone calls.  But most of these are please support me type,  Dh normally gets the mail now and quickly throws away garbage so I am not sure how much mail we are getting.  Maybe they finally gave up on the idea that because we are environmentalists and support a number of wildlife preservation groups- mostly birds and bats- we are wanting to fund the DNC.  We used to get tons of mail from both the left and the right as they were confused as to who we were.  We may still be getting it but I won't realize till I do recycling.

Red state, but I have not received very many political mailings. No phone calls.  I've gotten several texts from a candidate I sent a donation to, but I expected they'd then spam me with requests for more support, (it's what they all do). 

Maybe everyone thinks Texas is so deeply red that there's no point in spending money here. 🤷‍♀️

Red state, no texts, possibly some calls but I ignore unkown numbers so I don't know for sure.

My biggest annoyance is all the "are you registered to vote" reminders all over social media. Yes, Facebook, thank you, I've been registered for 28 years now so GET OFF MY BACK!

• Like 1

Dh says he gets 5+ texts a day.  Our phone numbers are from an old swing state we used to live in and we are registered in a different swing state.  DH gets many more than I do, but I never answer anything I don't recognize.  I've gotten 3 total, two from the democratic parties in both states, and one link to a political poll about my opinions about Biden, which turned out to be from the Biden campaign.

I’m in a state considered solidly blue, but in a somewhat purple part of the state. Averaging maybe two political mailings per day, mostly about state Measures, a few for Legislative positions, none has been for Presidential election.  Probably quite a few calls, 6 or 7 calls per day above typical, but I don’t answer when I don’t recognize. Lots and lots of YouTube ads both sides of aisle and quite a few of them are for elsewhere than where I am — such as Maxine Waters and her opponent, or other California races.  

I never understand the red/blue state thing. I can say there is no doubt how my district will vote its electoral vote. DH & I are registered differently & while we both get mail from the same candidates, it looks different than each other. Contentious state legislative race between members if the same party yields several flyers each week. Most people would pick a 3rd candidate at this point because they are so sick of the lying, fake offense, & sniping from both sides. Big $$ being spent.

No texts/calls on the cell. Home phone gets calls but we don't answer most so I don't know if they are regular spam or election spam. The one candidate who robocalled me convinced me to vote for her opponent.

My ballot is filled out & waiting for DH to drop it in the drop box. I doubt it'll stop the mailings though.

My call blocker is working overtime.  But they can still leave messages until they are marked spam by someone.  Yesterday, I had 5 calls and 3 texts. All for the same candidate.  I am actually wondering if someone gave my number to that campaign.  So far for the month of October, I am averaging 5 calls/texts a day.

I've always lived in a battleground state. I get texts several times a day, my cell phone rings constantly with unknown numbers, and my mailbox is filled with political mail. We always get a lot, but it's more intense this year.

2 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

Red state, no texts, possibly some calls but I ignore unkown numbers so I don't know for sure.

My biggest annoyance is all the "are you registered to vote" reminders all over social media. Yes, Facebook, thank you, I've been registered for 28 years now so GET OFF MY BACK!

Facebook stopped telling me to register (probably too late now for those who haven't) and now just hassles me to return my ballot.  But I decided to vote in person so there is no ballot to return since I never requested an absentee ballot.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I never understand the red/blue state thing.

I understand it as how maps on media show which Major candidates got the majority for last few major elections. Or which are expected to do so in the coming election. Purple would be if it is mixed — maybe a Different party choice for Governor as for President...

how do others understand that? 

6 hours ago, Pen said:

I understand it as how maps on media show which Major candidates got the majority for last few major elections. Or which are expected to do so in the coming election. Purple would be if it is mixed — maybe a Different party choice for Governor as for President...

What I mean is that I never remember which color goes with which party. The color assignment seems random to my head so I don't remember which means which. (It took me until college to remember which party had the donkey & which had the elephant so note I'm just really not good at this political assignment stuff.)

I amazingly haven't gotten any calls or texts (not sure how this is), but we get 2-4 mailers in our mailbox every day, including many doubles addressed to former residents who haven't lived in this house for 2.5 years.  Most are for state legislature races.  About 90% of our youtube ads are political, about 75% for state races. 

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

What I mean is that I never remember which color goes with which party. The color assignment seems random to my head so I don't remember which means which. (It took me until college to remember which party had the donkey & which had the elephant so note I'm just really not good at this political assignment stuff.)

Afaik it is random, but both red and Republican start with R

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I get several mailings per day also. I don't know how I forgot about those. Sometimes that is the only mail we get 😞 They don't even make it in the house. 

I wonder if most of these things even work?

Kelly

I truly doubt it.  I HATE the paper waste and phone interruptions. (Even if I’m not actually picking up, I *am checking to see if someone important is calling.)

My household has a near perfect if not perfect turn out record, including non-presidential years. Every member is registered in the same party. (Dh was third party before 2016.)  I just tossed a very big stack of mailers into recycling from both parties.

I understand the *point, but I still hate the practice. I’m happy to post related information on FB and I’ve helped with voter registration campaigns in the past, but I refuse to sign up to contribute to annoying people by interrupting them and giving them trash to deal with.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I truly doubt it.  I HATE the paper waste and phone interruptions. (Even if I’m not actually picking up, I *am checking to see if someone important is calling.)

My household has a near perfect if not perfect turn out record, including non-presidential years. Every member is registered in the same party. (Dh was third party before 2016.)  I just tossed a very big stack of mailers into recycling from both parties.

I understand the *point, but I still hate the practice. I’m happy to post related information on FB and I’ve helped with voter registration campaigns in the past, but I refuse to sign up to contribute to annoying people by interrupting them and giving them trash to deal with.

I wonder how information is released. Do the mailing organizations have the ability to send only to Independents?

Do callers have a way of knowing your past turn out record?

If so, that feels somewhat intrusive too.

I wonder if the benefits of calling and mailing and now texting have been researched. 

I can answer some of this as I've been doing texting for my county's office of a certain political party There are many different groups texting and calling. There's the county party's office (the one I'm involved with), the state party's office. the national party, the specific candidate - who could be running for a national, state, or local office, and there are legitimate PACs. 

If your state requires a party affiliation and you're registered as an Independent or NPA (no party affiliation) you'll get calls from both sides. If you're registered for one of the two major parties you'll probably only get contacted by your party, though some groups are contacting people regardless of party.

How do they get your information? I can only speak to Florida but it could be the same for other states. We and all of the groups get names and numbers from our local Supervisor of Elections office, which are public records. If someone tells me to opt them out I do, but I explain that they'll only be opted out of our specific group. If they want to stop all contact they need to take that up with the SOE. Often I get "This isn't Robert and this isn't his number. I don't know a Robert. Why do you keep texting me?" I explain how we got the information. I don't know why their number showed up as belonging to Robert but I can't fix that. I can only opt them out. Also, even if a wrong number person says "Yes, I'll vote for Candidate A!" I have to opt them out because they aren't the person we were trying to reach. 

Political parties and groups, like charities, are exempt from the do not call list. The only way to stop the calls is to individually opt out each time someone calls or texts you, or find out how they got the number (we always explain but I don't know if every group does that) and get opted out of all calls at the source - probable your SOE (or BOE as some are called). If you block a number it won't change anything. For one, it isn't the person's actual phone number. I don't know what number shows up when I text, but it isn't my number. I don't even text from my phone. I text from a computer program, and some do it from an app on their phone but the app still doesn't use their number.

I hope this explains some things, even if you didn't like the answers. 🙂 

• Like 1

One thing that really annoys me isn't about campaign literature. It's about my Supervisor of Elections office. I have been voting by mail since 2008 (we don't need a reason; anyone can vote by mail). I always get my mail in ballot within a day or two after they start going out. I fill it out and return in asap. About two weeks later I get a sample ballot in the mail from the SOE. Everyone I've talked to who votes by mail says the same thing. If I have a ballot in front of me at home I don't need a sample ballot. However, if they insist we all need sample ballots they should send them out before the mail in ballots go out. It's such a waste of paper as well as a waste of taxpayer dollars. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Pen said:

Red states are ones that predominately vote Republican, Blue states predominately vote Dem and Purple states are ones that vary who they vote for.  I am in a very red state.  We only have a Dem choice in Pres, Sen, and Public Utility,  All the other many, many, many choices on the ballot (except for amendments) are Republican only.  Our main election is really the Republican primary always.  Yes, we currently have a Dem Senator but he was elected because we had a complete nutcase and maybe even a teen molester running against him.   So many of the Republicans either didn't vote or wrote in someone else - I did.

18 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Got a ton, all Dems, in VA but it stopped after I voted. 🙂

Another thing that's public record is the fact that you voted. Often when I'm texting people to return their mail in ballot they'll tell me they already sent it. One of our canned replies is to tell them it's not showing in our system, and then we give them a link where they can track the status of their ballot. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Pen said:

I wonder if the benefits of calling and mailing and now texting have been researched. 

I don't know about mailing but can give some anecdotes about calls and texts. I don't know if it's been researched. Often those of us calling and texting will get someone who says they didn't receive their mail ballot even though they requested one. We've had people ask where the early voting locations are, how do they do a change of address, can they get a ride to the polls on election day, and more. In my small corner of the U.S. texts and calls help get out the vote. Whether or not it changes minds or helps an undecide make up their mind, I have no idea. Our goal is to get our people to vote. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

I don't think the Do Not Call list works anymore. I remember reading something 4 or so years ago that Congress had done something that got rid of it. I was on the list and I now receive numerous spam calls daily, e.g. those infamous car warranty calls. I posted on one of the COVID threads that i had read an article about how contact tracing is so difficult in the USA because no one in the USA answers their cell phone because of the spam calls. The article said that on average 30% of the calls we receive on our cell phone are spam. I would estimate that it's about 50% of the calls I receive. Sometimes they are identified as "Potential Spam" but they usually come across with a number. 

My cell phone number comes from a state that I lived in 20 years ago. It's all the way across the country. For a couple of years, the spam calls were always from a number in that state. Now I've begun getting car warranty calls from local numbers. I guess they (who are they anyway?) finally figured out that I actually live in AZ now. 

Anyone else remember when all of the spam calls began coming and when they started coming from regular telephone numbers? 

The article said that Europeans are easier to contact trace because they answer their cell phones because Europe bans unsolicited telephone calls. How pleasant for them! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to actually answer your phone without being harassed about car warranties you don't want? 

I was curious why I had began to see Youtube ads for the candidates running for a state office so googled last night. Supposedly AZ is now the most expensive media market in the USA because we are such a battleground state right now. Most of the money on both sides is coming from dark money groups. 

3 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I don't think the Do Not Call list works anymore. I remember reading something 4 or so years ago that Congress had done something that got rid of it.

It still exists. I've been getting a lot of spam calls too. I think spammer just don't care and with spoofing numbers reporting them is useless. I did recently report a call and the calls stopped for about two weeks, then I got one yesterday. 

https://www.donotcall.gov/

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

The article said that Europeans are easier to contact trace because they answer their cell phones because Europe bans unsolicited telephone calls. How pleasant for them! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to actually answer your phone without being harassed about car warranties you don't want? 

I wonder how they actually do it in practice in Europe.  

I am on Do Mot Call which gets rid of legit business ad calls — but not scam calls.  I am told scammers don’t care and that while individual numbers can get blocked, the scammers have ways of spoofing more and more numbers. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

It still exists. I've been getting a lot of spam calls too. I think spammer just don't care and with spoofing numbers reporting them is useless. I did recently report a call and the calls stopped for about two weeks, then I got one yesterday. 

https://www.donotcall.gov/

I think reporting does help - at least a block can be put on a particular number to slow scams down a bit. If no one reports they don’t know what to block at all...

• Like 2

If you are registered as Independents, and not as members of one party or the other, you are prime game for the telemarketing. They will see you as undecided and you are the people they will try to convince to vote for their side.  If you are registered as members of one party or the other, that would probably reduce the phone calls and messages you and your DH receive.  It will be over in a few weeks...

• Like 2

Text help. I was given a link to request my mail ballot. Clicked and done.

Calls help. I've been "undecided" for a long time now -- I know who I'm not voting for, but not how I'm filling my ballot. The last two calls I engaged on really did help. Just having another person either clarify something I didn't understand, or just LISTEN to my thought process was immensely helpful. 

27 minutes ago, Lanny said:

If you are registered as Independents, and not as members of one party or the other, you are prime game for the telemarketing. They will see you as undecided and you are the people they will try to convince to vote for their side.  If you are registered as members of one party or the other, that would probably reduce the phone calls and messages you and your DH receive.  It will be over in a few weeks...

As an independent, I find it interesting that only Dems are reaching out to me. DH WAS registered Republican and so we suppose is still on their contact lists, but is now independent, so that's probably why he is getting double+ what I am, and having both contact him.

(edit to add Lanny's quote, which disappeared from my original somehow)

Edited by Moonhawk
2 minutes ago, Lanny said:

And I think political telemarketing is allowed under No Call list rules.

But are party or independent registration info  along with names and phone numbers and addresses available as a matter of public record? 

2 hours ago, Pen said:

And I think political telemarketing is allowed under No Call list rules.

But are party or independent registration info  along with names and phone numbers and addresses available as a matter of public record? 

Yes to both.

See my post upthread.

Editing to add robo calls and bot texts are not allowed. Although a bot could do much of what I'm doing, it requires a live person to keep hitting send. There have been replies with questions that can't be answered by a canned response so I can see the benefit of having a person send the texts (or make calls) rather than a bot text or robo call.

Edited by Lady Florida.