Menu

Individual Books of Bible as Scholarly Sources

I have been increasingly quoting ancient authors as scholary sources in my research papers. I own an e-book copy of the Britannica Great Books set and use the syntopicon to point me to individual authors. I then find a stand alone book to use as an MLA scholary source.  I also want to quote from the Bible, but want to quote the individual authors, not any collection published as a Bible. Where can I find the authors published individually?

Do you mean you want to use the "original" (or nearly so) scrolls that were used, or do you mean you just want, like, Genesis published in its own book?  Each book of the Bible usually says "attributed to" in an introduction or something, and I believe there's much debate over who wrote each book specifically, so I'm not sure you're going to find that.  MLA has rules for citing Biblical sources, but the Works Cited needs to include which version of the Bible you're using.

I think you can get a look at the Dead Sea Scrolls somewhere online.  I'm sorry.  That's probably not helpful.

Interesting topic, though!

• Like 2

I think that's an interesting idea too, but would be difficult.  Many "authors" are unknown, or at least cannot be absolutely confirmed.  And, some are likely a mix.  Also, much of the Bible began as part of the oral tradition. 

What I'd probably do is list the book, chapter, and verses you are quoting.  I'd also list the specific English translation you're using.

I can recommend a couple theologians who could probably give you a better answer than that though, if you're interested!

• Like 1

Some books are obvious: Haggai, Jude, Romans.

There must be a series of books where each book was published individually and maybe annotated by one or more "scholars", maybe even secular scholars.

There is so much stigma attached to any author whose work is included in the Bible, compared to other ancient authors. Sometimes when quoting a book, it is all about finding the same words packaged elsewhere, to be allowed to use them. Like Charlotte Mason Geography: If you use a recently published edition, you are all set with schoolboard; but if you downloaded a free copy off the internet, you might get your plan rejected.

Edited by Hunter

The Britannica set Syntopicon lists subjects like democracy and justice and capitalism. These are very relevant topics right now. These authors can be quoted in discussions of these topics. Bible verses are listed under these topics, and also other Bible reference tools will lead to scripture discussing each topic. There is an entire study Bible devoted to Justice. And another devoted to Literary Analysis. I can find relevant verses with these resources, but I want to be strategic about my bibliography.

Sometimes I do not have access to the best databases, so I learned to be creative with what I do have access to. My papers are becoming unique and I want to develop this idea further.

I need the "right" editions to quote from.

Just now, perky said:

Maybe a Commentary?

It is going to have to be one that is just right and published by a secular publisher. It might be sold as a commentary and include the entire scripture, too.

I know sometimes that posting here, means someone knows about something that I would have never known existed otherwise.

There must be something with real punch. There must be.