Menu

Quest Bridge/"binding" applications

My 17yod has been working on an application for Quest Bridge. One of the agreements is that if she is accepted/admitted to a school of her choosing (she ranks up to 12 schools in order of preference) the admission is "binding" meaning she must withdraw her application for the rest of the schools. I have read the fine print and tried to make sense of any penalties should she not end up attending the school. While I see nothing (yet) something about this seems...off. Does anyone know about these "binding" scholarship applications?

• Like 1

I believe they are basically like "early decision" -- you give up your right to go anywhere else (with limited ways out) but you know sooner than "regular decision" and you may have a better chance of getting picked vs. regular decision.

• Like 2

Awesome program.  I ran across that on the web site of Rice, several years ago, but too late for my DD to find out if she would have been eligible to participate, since she is an Overseas American.  Any restrictions they impose would IMO be worth the benefits that I read about.  Good luck to your DD with QuestBridge!  

I agree with RootAnn that it's basically like regular early decision. I think the 'penalty' is that other highly selective schools frown upon breaking the agreement, and it can lower your chances.  

Questbridge is obviously amazing for those who get selected. Because there's so much work involved, I think it's important to know the stats and requirements. You have to be willing to attend your match college, obviously, and a lot can change from beginning of senior year to end. About 13% of applicants get a match. Of those who get a match, about 73% are first generation, about 90% have family incomes below $60,000, and the score percentile range is 90% to 97%.  If I didn't meet at least one of those criteria, I wouldn't necessarily put a lot of time into the application (it would depend on other interests and chances). I've never helped someone through the process, but I've had a couple of tutoring students say that it was a big time commitment. 

They do have a second round where additional students get acceptances and financial aid, but no set level. 

One of the students I mentioned above was nowhere near their score stats, and it bothered me that they did not tell them it was a long shot; they said the opposite, in fact. The student didn't place at any level - obviously there are no guarantees, but tell them the truth and let them decide how to use their time and effort. 

OP, you probably know all this, but I wanted to share for others. 

• Like 1