Menu

WWYD?

DawnM

Most of you know I am a school counselor.   We had a death this past week.   I won't go into details for privacy sake, but it is a child, and I always go, even if it is a parent.   

But I am not sure there will be social distancing.   But I would feel horrible not going.

I guess I can drive up and scope it out and see if I feel safe?

What should I do?

• Sad 1

Honestly, I would send a card with a heartfelt note. 

If it is in a venue where you can pull up and scope out, maybe.  But if it is indoors, at a funeral home, with more than like a dozen people right now I'd likely avoid if your numbers look anything like ours.  If they were doing a graveside service outdoors, I would consider going masked. 

• Like 1

Graveside is private.    This will be indoors.   There will most likely be LOTS of people.   The more I think about it, the more nervous I am becoming.

A friend of mine is a family doc, and she says she has had numerous people get Covid from funerals recently.

Our numbers are at 9.8% and no one seems to care anymore.

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Graveside is private.    This will be indoors.   There will most likely be LOTS of people.   The more I think about it, the more nervous I am becoming.

A friend of mine is a family doc, and she says she has had numerous people get Covid from funerals recently.

Our numbers are at 9.8% and no one seems to care anymore.

I am so sorry to hear this.  I think that it's simply not safe to go.  As a parent who lost a child during covid, the last thing I'd want would be for someone else to die because of my child's funeral, or for my child's friends to be without a counselor at this time because she was quarantining due to an exposure.  I am sure you'll be playing a critical role in helping his or her friends through this.  

My son's funeral was closed to people outside very close family.  Some friends from church came and stood outside while his body was carried out.  Others signed an online guest book.  We've also gotten many cards, and notices about donations in his memory.  It touched us, and let us know that people were thinking of him and praying for him, but by participating in these socially distanced ways they also assured the safety of his great grandfather, and let us sing some of my son's favorite songs safely.  Perhaps you could find another way to participate?

I'll be praying for this family.  Losing a child is awful, and covid complicates it.  

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

I wouldn't go. Dh and I just skipped the funeral of a very close family member. There shouldn't have even been a big funeral because Covid is spreading rapidly through our county, but other family members insisted on it. We knew there were going to be a lot of people there and that many of them have not been careful at all, so we stayed home. Within a few days of attending the funeral, people were getting sick and one of them is in the hospital now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

Most of you know I am a school counselor.   We had a death this past week.   I won't go into details for privacy sake, but it is a child, and I always go, even if it is a parent.   

But I am not sure there will be social distancing.   But I would feel horrible not going.

I guess I can drive up and scope it out and see if I feel safe?

What should I do?

I think you can send a nice card, and not go in this situation.

I agree that a card would be fine (and very much appreciated) in this situation.

My FIL's funeral services at the home were horrifying to me with the lack of social distancing, masks, etc.  It was like there was no pandemic at all.  And most of the people there were elderly and high risk.  

I am sorry about the death - that is very sad.