Menu

Are we trying clothes on in a pandemic?

Ginevra

Ds has grown and it has just come to my attention that he has only a couple of shirts to speak of. School starts (hybrid) next week and he wants some shirts. I’m a little hesitant to order shirts because I’m not sure about fit. I could just order several and return the incorrect sizes, I guess? They have off Friday and I was thinking of going to a physical store he likes. Are we trying on clothes right now? 

What are other people doing about kids’ clothes? 

No because the dressing rooms are closed here!!!!!!!  And we are in a pretty lax state that allows indoor dining as long as tables are 6 feet apart, as far as I can tell.

I think there are a few stores that have dressing rooms open, but they either have a full time attendant.

Or else they individually unlock dressing rooms and have to sanitize them between people.  

They have the issue then of — how long do they quarantine the clothes that have been tried on?  

I don’t think many if any stores here are trying to do this.  They have just closed their dressing rooms.  

• Like 1

I have purchased a few shirts that turned out to be too tight across the chest.  He can wear them until it gets cold here but they won’t fit in the Spring, I’m sure.  I should have gotten the next size up or just not gotten that cut of shirt.

For the most part things have turned out to be just fine.  

• Like 1

In our area old Navy is open for trying on things as are some thrift stores.

One thing that might work is just wearing a thin t shirt and trying things on over that....no need for the fitting room.

At one store I wear thing yoga capris and tried pants on over them.  Not ideal but I need new pants and sizes mean almost nothing in women's clothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another issue is — what if there is a line to go into the dressing rooms.  Is there room in the store for people to stand 6 feet apart?  

It is not very practical!  

You might be able to pick a store with open dressing rooms and go at a time there is nobody else in the store.  

We have been okay with just hoping for the best as far as if the clothes will fit or not.  

My husband tried on an outfit in the parking lot once in case we needed to get him the larger size.  Fortunately it fit!  

• Thanks 1

We're allowed to try on in most stores here now.  Sanitizing hands upon entering and masking in the stores is mandatory (according to state of disaster regulations).  I did go into a changing room once to try on a pair of jeans, as I didn't want to drive all the way back to return it if it doesn't fit.  I made sure to sanitize my hands again upon leaving.

The clothes themselves are apparently steamed before being returned to the racks and shelves.  

• Like 2

I feel like here, I saw excessive traffic and crowding at the places that had dressing rooms open.  But I was out on a Saturday about 6 weeks ago?  Also looking for school clothes right before school started.....

It was just not going to work out for us, we went to other stores.

Now I just know — dressing rooms are closed at Wal-Mart and Target, and at the thrift store.  I haven’t been in anywhere else since then. 

It’s frustrating because it is my preference to try on for sure!  But it has worked out.  

You could also buy and return if they don’t fit.    We were going to do that with my husband’s outfit if necessary.  

We have needed clothes since dressing rooms have been closed, for certain things, and just limited to things where you can tell by looking they will probably fit.  My husband has some shirts now that don’t fit him the most flattering but they are okay.  They could be a better cut for him.  But they aren’t horrible.  

I got some clothes from a thrift store in the summer and several shirts just did not fit.  I knew that going in and it still worked out to be a good price for what I got and I needed some shirts.  The thrift store here is not taking any returns whatsoever.  

2 minutes ago, Lecka said:

feel like here, I saw excessive traffic and crowding at the places that had dressing rooms open.  But I was out on a Saturday about 6 weeks ago?  Also looking for school clothes right before school started.....

It was just not going to work out for us, we went to other stores.

I think I’m going to order online today. I will order a couple more shirts than I would do if we were going in person and, while it’s somewhat inconvenient to return clothes, if we go to this store, which is not nearby, and either 1) dressing rooms are closed, or 2) it’s busy and I am not comfortable, that would also cause a much bigger inconvenience. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

In our area old Navy is open for trying on things as are some thrift stores.

One thing that might work is just wearing a thin t shirt and trying things on over that....no need for the fitting room.

At one store I wear thing yoga capris and tried pants on over them.  Not ideal but I need new pants and sizes mean almost nothing in women's clothing.

I wish our thrift store had dressing rooms open!  That is nice 🙂. Things I will appreciate after this......  

• Like 1

Ordering shirts for a young man ought to be pretty easy, unless you're talking about dress shirts! 😎

S, M, L, XL... are his current shirts too small? Has he had a growth spurt? I'd order several in two sizes and plan to return some. Or maybe if they are too big, keep them in case he keeps growing.  Can you order in a brand he already has, so you know how the sizing goes?

Hope it goes well. My son in high school was super easy to buy clothes for so I'm thinking how it would go with him. Fit was not a big issue one way or the other. My daughter, on the other hand... 😲

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We did a mix, but mostly ordered online. I ordered my 15 year old quite a few pairs of jeans from amazon. I just made sure they were all marked as free returns. It worked out—ordered 5, kept 2. We did go into Old Navy and try a few things on, but we went in the middle of a weekday and it was basically deserted. We were the only ones in the whole dressing room area, other than the attendant, who was sanitizing things. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hannah said:

The clothes themselves are apparently steamed before being returned to the racks and shelves.  

Yes, supposedly the larger chain department stores are taking them in the back and treating them using various procedures. Steam is one approach. 

• Like 1

Very few stores have dressing rooms open.  I would call before heading into a store.  I have ordered a lot of stuff bc 3 of my kids grew a lot since last winter.  A few orders sizes were all wrong, so I started just buying 2 sizes in several things.   I've got 3 kids that are straddling the upper kids 14-16-18 and Juniors sizing (and do men's just not have Juniors- they need small slim shirts).   I just decided to pick a few stores and order several options.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

Very few stores have dressing rooms open.  I would call before heading into a store.  I have ordered a lot of stuff bc 3 of my kids grew a lot since last winter.  A few orders sizes were all wrong, so I started just buying 2 sizes in several things.   I've got 3 kids that are straddling the upper kids 14-16-18 and Juniors sizing (and do men's just not have Juniors- they need small slim shirts).   I just decided to pick a few stores and order several options.

Stores like Abercombie & Fitch and Hollister are made smaller and slimmer, but there are no junior men's clothes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marbel said:

Ordering shirts for a young man ought to be pretty easy, unless you're talking about dress shirts! 😎

S, M, L, XL... are his current shirts too small? Has he had a growth spurt? I'd order several in two sizes and plan to return some. Or maybe if they are too big, keep them in case he keeps growing.  Can you order in a brand he already has, so you know how the sizing goes?

Hope it goes well. My son in high school was super easy to buy clothes for so I'm thinking how it would go with him. Fit was not a big issue one way or the other. My daughter, on the other hand... 😲

Yeah, he's not a lot taller, but his upper body has filled out more. I think most of his outgrown shirts (t-shirt types) were S; he probably needs a M in those now. I do plan to order a brand he already has; that's what he wants anyway. 

My son needed a new suit this week and was able to try on at JC Penny's. They only had one changing room open on the floor we were on, with half of the stalls available. While we were there, they were sanitizing between people. I was actually impressed. They seemed to be holding clothes overnight before returning them to the racks.

There is a big jump between boys 16/18 and mens small. (no Junior sizing that I have ever seen) We felt like American Eagle offered smaller mens sizes, and a slimmer cut. 

• Like 2

DS15 could fit into Men Small Slimfit for shirts. That size looks slightly baggy on DS14 but still ok.

For dress shirts, we do the good old method of aligning the shirt to the back of the person to check for fit. Shoulder of shirt to shoulder of person. Cuff of shirt to wrist of person. Since I am flat chested, that method works for me too. 

• Like 1

I have seen big store fitting rooms open (Kohl's) when I have run in to pick up my online orders. There was enough traffic of people going in and out of the fitting rooms there ...

But, I would never be inside a closed room where someone else has been inside recently ... just not worth the risk, though I am not the kind to use fitting rooms even pre-pandemic and would rather buy 2 sizes and return the one that does not fit. As for buying shirts for my son, I hold the shirt against myself and he needs a shirt that goes up to 2 inches below my waistband. That is approximately the correct size for him. So, I use myself to measure the height and shoulder width of the shirts when I shop in person.

• Like 1

I bought DS clothes online knowing they could be a bit large, but not risking that they'd be small. (We have that problem with some things anyway... Why doesn't anybody do boys' shirts in Tall, even when they sell the pants in Slim?) I agree with a PP about measuring to give you an idea.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Carolina Wren said:

I bought DS clothes online knowing they could be a bit large, but not risking that they'd be small. (We have that problem with some things anyway... Why doesn't anybody do boys' shirts in Tall, even when they sell the pants in Slim?) I agree with a PP about measuring to give you an idea.

Old Navy does! 

11 hours ago, Quill said:

Ds has grown and it has just come to my attention that he has only a couple of shirts to speak of. School starts (hybrid) next week and he wants some shirts. I’m a little hesitant to order shirts because I’m not sure about fit. I could just order several and return the incorrect sizes, I guess? They have off Friday and I was thinking of going to a physical store he likes. Are we trying on clothes right now? 

What are other people doing about kids’ clothes? 

Dd tried on homecoming dresses at the mall.  My two ds don’t care to shop, so I order pants and shirts online and then return whatever doesn’t fit.  All shopped in person for shoes to try them on.

• Like 1

Our stores still have closed dressing rooms. When I went to Kohl's the other day, they had someone at the door sanitizing carts and telling people that the fitting rooms were closed. DD and DS both needed some new clothes, so I measured them and used online size charts. Some of the things were bought in the store and others came today and seemed to fit OK.

• Like 1