Menu

Can anyone compare Schole Academy to Wilson Hill Academy? (or another NCAA acr. Christian online school)

We have used Schole for several classes over the years and have been very happy with them. However, ds will be in high school next year and it is likely he will play sports in college so we have to walk the NCAA path. He is set for math (Mr D) which is NCAA accredited. I was planning for him to take a few more classes there as well, probably History/GB, maybe Biology, and logic. It seems it would be more simple to have him do those classes through an already NCAA accredited program . . . right? 

Can anyone compare Schole to WHA?

Bump for you.  You might want to ask about other providers who are NCAA accredited as well.  For example, The Potter's School also offers accreditation.  https://at-tps.org/academic-administration/transcripts/

We only have experience with WHA. I found it to be very well run, and we liked the teacher. I would say the students in my son's GC1 class were not average 7th graders. They seemed mature and advanced. I have no idea what the other classes are like. Overall though, the reason we did not continue is because I think he needed a slower and later progression through the Great Books.  Other than that, the communication, interface, etc. were great.

Please be aware of WHA's cancellation policy. It's not very favorable.  Also, there is a student services fee if your child is in 8th grade or higher. I can't remember if that is an annual fee or one time only. Hopefully someone will comment here.  

Like Omnibus (which you have used, IIRC), the Great Conversation classes at WHA are three credits--theology, history and literature.  TPS offers a history/lit/comp class if you are interested in that.  The book lists are quite different between providers, so that is something to look at. 

ETA: an old thread on NCAA stuff: 

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nam2001 said:

Check out Excelsior as well. It’s NCAA approved. My daughter is having a good experience with Chemistry this year. 

With Childress? My DD took Chem with her several years ago & recommends that class for people who are looking for a solid Chem class that isn't honors level & isn't a billion hours of work. She enjoyed Mrs. Childress.

@ByGrace3I am no expert, but I don't think you need all your classes to be from NCAA-approved providers if you put yourself down as the teacher & the outside class teacher down as a ... can't remember the term ... consultant? Assistant? Something or another...

Ok, took me a bit, but I found where Lori D linked the NCAA stuff in the fourth post of the College Motherload thread pinned to the top of the College board. Some of the info is old, but this tidbit is only 2 years old.

Here is how someone described how they listed outside classes so they didn't have to be by a NCAA-approved provider:

"For online providers I listed myself as the teacher of record and the instructor’s name for other teacher. For assessments designed/developed by I listed the instructor’s name with approval from me. I also listed the instructor’s name with approval from me for assessments graded by."

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/678450-ncaa-eligibility-center-our-experience/

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RootAnn said:

With Childress? My DD took Chem with her several years ago & recommends that class for people who are looking for a solid Chem class that isn't honors level & isn't a billion hours of work. She enjoyed Mrs. Childress.

@ByGrace3I am no expert, but I don't think you need all your classes to be from NCAA-approved providers if you put yourself down as the teacher & the outside class teacher down as a ... can't remember the term ... consultant? Assistant? Something or another...

Yes, Childress.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Ok, took me a bit, but I found where Lori D linked the NCAA stuff in the fourth post of the College Motherload thread pinned to the top of the College board. Some of the info is old, but this tidbit is only 2 years old.

Here is how someone described how they listed outside classes so they didn't have to be by a NCAA-approved provider:

"For online providers I listed myself as the teacher of record and the instructor’s name for other teacher. For assessments designed/developed by I listed the instructor’s name with approval from me. I also listed the instructor’s name with approval from me for assessments graded by."

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/678450-ncaa-eligibility-center-our-experience/

Thank you!