Menu

What’s your favorite movie snack?

Spryte

Help me find a new movie snack?

I’m a popcorn girl.  Always have been.   Any kind of popcorn, really.

We do movie night every week with a “concession” stand, three flavors of popcorn, special drinks and snacks for kids.

Alas, popcorn has been giving me hives.  Aaaack!

I need a new movie munchie.  

Ideas?

(Bonus for no peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, avocado, wheat - allergies here.)

1 hour ago, PinkTulip said:

Seconding the Red Vines. Twizzlers are just red plastic. 

mmm - red plastic. Twizzlers have been my movie go-to for years. I don't think we have red vines where I have lived - I don't remember ever seeing them in stores or at the movie theaters. I wonder if there's a regional component to twizzers v. red vines? 

Also - pretzels, grapes, trail mix, junior mints and coffee (yummy combo).  

• Like 2

Always been a popcorn girl here, too. And corn doesn't sit well with me now, so I've had to stop eating it. 😢

SOOOO... I brush my teeth, drink a glass of water, and do some crocheting while watching a movie to keep hands busy -- rather than snacking and packing on the pounds on these already starting-to-bulge middle-aged hips. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Tortilla chips and dip, whether it’s salsa, guacamole, or cheese dip- the white kind. We have this at least once a week for a meal, usually layering one of the above over a ramekin of warmed refried beans.  And thin chips- like Tostitos cantina thins. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

Alas, popcorn has been giving me hives.  Aaaack!

My condolences, that would give me the sad!

Pretzels might be a good substitute. Munchy and salty and you kind of eat them the same way. That doesn't meet the no wheat bonus, though. 

Wasabi peas? Or the Harvest Snap peas come in a few different flavors and are more chip-like. 

Sunflower and pumpkin seeds. 

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Baby carrots, Apple slices, grapes, etc.

32 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I brush my teeth, drink a glass of water, and do some crocheting while watching a movie to keep hands busy -- rather than snacking  

Y'all need to stop with this good and healthy advice 😄

35 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

mmm - red plastic.  

😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chips and salsa. Although, this is my answer to answer question that is favorite snack related. 😁 Like @Annie G I can do guacamole or queso, but salsa is my favorite by far. Sometimes I mix salsa with a bit of sour cream. My favorite chips are On the Border and Thin Tostitos. Yum!

• Like 1

These are great, thanks!

I am just so, so sad about losing popcorn. Gaaaah!  It’s my absolute favorite snack.  And because of the fiber, I could even save up enough carbs every day to have popcorn (I’m semi-keto-inspired, but will cheat for movie night, ha!).  

I’m off to make a grocery list.  😁

18 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I am just so, so sad about losing popcorn. Gaaaah!  It’s my absolute favorite snack.  And because of the fiber, I could even save up enough carbs every day to have popcorn (I’m semi-keto-inspired, but will cheat for movie night, ha!).  

I had to stop eating popcorn too after intestinal surgery.  I used to eat it every day and it was so hard giving it up!  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I had to stop eating popcorn too after intestinal surgery.  I used to eat it every day and it was so hard giving it up!  

I feel your pain.  

This hive thing has been on-going, and I’ve eliminated  every other possible food.  Then I had a big reaction, undeniably from popcorn, and there’s no doubt.  

Whaaaaaa!  

Edited by Spryte
Typos
  • Sad 3

As a replacement for popcorn.....Plain Lays chips.  Thin (so not too loud), doesn't need to be warm, salty and can last a full movie and still taste yummy at the end.  I have lots of chips that I love, but plain Lays are also something special by them selves (and the closest to popcorn).

Favorite movie snack for me in a theater....Jr Mints. 

• Like 3

At home, I don't often movie snack because it's usually after we've just had dinner. Maybe ice cream or frozen blueberries (I eat blueberries for dessert fairly often). But in the theatre--it's gotta be Milk Duds. I can't believe nobody has mentioned them yet. I do like popcorn a lot, but in the theatre, it always smells a whole lot better than it tastes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, klmama said:

Is it just from popcorn or s it from corn in general?  If tortilla chips aren't a problem, be sure to take a look at the other ingredients in your (microwave?) popcorn, so you can tease out the culprit.  

Thanks!

It started out only happening when I ate Skinny Pop.  (Oh, the love I have for Skinny Pop Popcorn!) ... then it would kind of come and go, but I narrowed it down to something mysterious about Skinny Pop.

Around that time, my doc started thinking Mast Cell Activation, that it wasn’t food at all, so I opted not to allergy test.  

Everything seemed ok for a while, and then bam!  I made air popped Orville Redenbacher, olive oil and salt.  Full body hives.  Gaaaah! So just the three ingredients.

I mean, it could be the mast cell thing.  Maybe.  But I’m definitely scared off of popcorn now.

Though no trouble with corn chips... allergies are so hard to figure out!

Keep in mind that histamine levels seem to work on the bucket system.  You may be able to tolerate a certain amount of histamine through food, filling your bucket slowly or only to the brim, and then one bite of something will cause it to "overflow" and you get hives.  In reality, the problem isn't just the one bite of whatever triggered the hives; it's also the other things that were raising the histamine levels.  You might want to take a look at this mast cell website food list to determine if the rest of your diet is particularly high in histamines.  

• Thanks 1