Menu

My Mate Cannot Sing

Ginevra

On 10/13/2020 at 1:39 PM, Quill said:

*light-hearted thread alert. I know there are bigger problems in the world. 

I mean, he knows it. But I think he just really wants to be able to sing. He may even think, as his mother used to say, if he just keeps practicing, he’ll be able to. But I really wish he would just give the heck up. 

He plays guitar and it sounds good, but he really wants to sing the songs, too. This is roughly bearable if he’s trying something like, Pride and Joy; faster songs that are not that melodic anyway. Recently, though, he’s been learning to play Unchained Melody and, I’m sorry but, if you can’t sing, you sure as hell can’t sing Unchained Melody

Where are my noise-cancelling headphones...

He is lucky that he can play the guitar.

I have no hearing and as a child, I played the piano. It turned out ridiculous, and I was never among the best. After studying for three years, I refused to attend classes, after that, I decided that everything related to music is not for me. But my brother inherited talent from our father. They both play the guitar well and they fond everything related to it https://www.guitarguide.xyz/the-best-clip-on-tuner/ You also can find this source useful, especially since he is good at playing the guitar. And the issue of singing can still somehow be resolved. Sometimes long practice can give results.

One of my favorite music professors often would say that anyone who is not profoundly deaf can learn to match pitch. Having said that, I do think that disabilities that affect prosody in speech do affect it. 

One of the most important things is to make sure you're trying to sing in the correct range. This can make singing along with beginning piano music or guitar books hard because they tend to be adjusted to be in the right key to play in easily, but not necessarily to sing in. One of the talks I once went to at a music conference was titled "they can sing, but why can't they sing Dona Nobis Pacem in tune"-and what it comes down to is that particular song just plain hits a lot of voices in a spot where sustained notes fall on hard pitches to keep in tune, especially for unchanged trebles and less trained female voices (the standard mezzo-soprano range most women have after puberty unless they have had intense vocal training during puberty). As it turns out, altering the melody even one half step up or down is a really, really obvious difference. 

So, for the OP, get your mate a capo, and see if maybe moving it up a bit makes it easier for him to sing along (unfortunately, you can't capo down). It can really make a difference. 

• Like 2

For rhythm, it can be executive functioning, coordination or both. Metronome work can help a lot. And one of the best things you can do is simply to move full body. Clapping is actually a lot harder than walking. One thing I've noticed is that I have a lot of piano students who can do just fine moving in steady beat or reading thythms using syllables or even playing a hand drum-but when it comes to moving those fingers rhythmically...ackk!!!!! There are reasons why eighth notes are one of the first things I teach as an Orff teacher -but come in about 4-5 books into most piano series. This is one of the areas where I absolutely take a leaf from the Suzuki book with repeated rhythms on one key/finger at a time early on. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrianRameriz said:

He is lucky that he can play the guitar. I have no hearing and as a child I played the piano. It turned out carelessly, and I was never among the best. After studying for three years, I refused to attend classes, after that I decided that everything related to music was not for me

Awww. I'm sorry. 

I spent my childhood being told that I couldn't sing, that I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.  When I was 12, choir was required, and my choir teacher kept me after school and spent 30 minutes teaching me to match pitch.  She changed my life.  I sang in choirs all through high school and college, and music is a huge part of my life.  I taught music at a preschool for years.  I'm not professional quality, but I'm definitely above average, church choir caliber.  

I think most people can learn to sing, but like drawing, it's a skill that takes some instruction.  

• Like 2