Menu

Issue is more what is absorbed well.

I take regular Ascorbic Acid usually -often with flavonoids—but Liposomal C is probably better absorbed. 

Zinc has some forms that are thought to absorb better than others even without a zinc ionophore (like Quercitin or Hydroxychloroquine),  for example, possibly zinc piccolinate or zinc chelate, and possibly sublingual or liquid forms absorb better. Quercitin is thought to act as a zinc ionophord to help it get into cells where it is needed, but Quercitin itself has relatively low absorption. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you are adding any new vitamin to your daily intake, you might want to check everything you are already taking.  
I take PreserVision AREDS 2 Formula Eye Vitamins (eye doctor recommmended for my family history). It already has Zinc in the formulation, so I haven't added Zinc as a stand alone option for me, but I did for the rest of my family. 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Bambam said:

If you are adding any new vitamin to your daily intake, you might want to check everything you are already taking.  
I take PreserVision AREDS 2 Formula Eye Vitamins (eye doctor recommmended for my family history). It already has Zinc in the formulation, so I haven't added Zinc as a stand alone option for me, but I did for the rest of my family. 

Good thought! The only things I take are the D3 and Claritin. Not sure if I should be adding a daily multivitamin as well?

How much Zinc should I take daily? What about teenagers?

If you aren't taking a regular multivitamain, I would introduce that first.  You really need to watch balance between some minerals and that can give you a good base to work from.   

• Like 1
12 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

If you aren't taking a regular multivitamain, I would introduce that first.  You really need to watch balance between some minerals and that can give you a good base to work from.   

What are good websites for newbies to learn about Vitamins & supplements?

Just now, domestic_engineer said:

GoogleScholar 

VitaminDWiki for anything related to D

Linus Pauling Institute (orthomolecular medicine) at Oregon Health Sciences

selfhacked

Foundmyfitness

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

What Pen posted. FoundMyFitness is probably my favorite. I pay to be a monthly member and find it's well worth it. It's run by Rhonda Patrick, who is a published scientist herself, and the info she puts out is tops, all backed up by studies which she scrutinizes. You can find her interviews with other scientists on YouTube if you want to see some samples of what she covers. At her site, the videos have time stamps if you want to find something in particular quickly.

Adding to Pen's suggestions, Chris Masterjohn's website is quite good, too. You can take a free 30-day course to learn more about vitamins and minerals and he offers a lot more. His content is thorough.

Dr. William Li's book, Eat to Beat, is worth getting if you're interested in learning how to use food to heal certain health conditions or prevent them. Li is the head of the Angiogenesis Foundation. 

• Thanks 1