Menu

Why is the chat board so much more active than the other forums?

Not_a_Number

This question is a bit recursive, as it's posted on the Chat Board, but I've definitely been finding that this is by far the most active forum. Why is that? I definitely joined because I wanted a place to discuss actually homeschooling my kids, but right now, most of the conversation on here aren't about that... 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2

Well, for me personally, I've homeschooled for about 20 years. I'm now on my last kid of four and I have hit a stride that works for us. I'm kinda tired of homeschooling at this point so I'd rather talk about other stuff. I'm actually seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and looking forward to phase 2 of my life. 

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 15

6 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Most of us have been here long enough that we don't have questions to ask.

My kid wasn't even school age and I could predict what answers would be given on the high school board, I had been reading along so much.

Hah, well, I've gotten a sense of what programs are recommended. But I'm still fascinated by how different kids' brains work and how kids learn, so I like chatting about that. 

• Like 3

I spend a lot of time reading older posts, following old 'best of' links and going down the rabbit hole of old posters who aren't here any more. There is so much good stuff in here already, you just have to dig for it!

Honestly, I'm just too tired most days to engage my brain in more than I'm already doing. I'm barely getting school done at home each day. (Did I forget to read history again today? Yup. Have I figured out how to fit Latin back into my 6th grader's days and start Greek with the 3rd grader? Nope. Am I prepared for my college students on Wednesday - maybe?)

• Like 6

We all have so much to discuss! 

Seriously, though, for me, it’s because I don’t homeschool anymore and even in years past when I did still homeschool, I got to a point where I didn’t have many questions about which history program to use or whatever. Also, as my kids got older, I got more protective about sharing things about them or their learning issues. I rarely asked on-line about those things. It worked better to ask people IRL who I knew would be discreet. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

There is so much good stuff in here already, you just have to dig for it!

Yeah, I've read some old threads, but I like actually TALKING about teaching, because it's interesting to me 🙂 . I like live conversations, because I integrate them differently than reading disjointed threads without knowledge of the people's kids. 

We don't use any programs, anyway, so it's not like I need suggestions, per se. I'm just endlessly interested in people's experiences as data 🙂 . 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MercyA said:

I came here looking for information on curriculum, but I'm happy with what I use now. I'm in my 9th year of homeschooling. 

This forum is the most active because it's the most fun. No other place like it in the 'verse. 🙂 

It's definitely been a lifeline during the pandemic! I love all the thoughtful perspectives. It's just I spend a lot of time thinking about teaching (and teaching math, specifically, since it's my thing), and I sometimes wish I could geek out about it more 🙂 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

It's definitely been a lifeline during the pandemic! I love all the thoughtful perspectives. It's just I spend a lot of time thinking about teaching (and teaching math, specifically, since it's my thing), and I sometimes wish I could geek out about it more 🙂 

A lot of current homeschoolers aren’t interested in educational philosophy in the way my peers did when I started out. I do like talking about how people learn and how best to teach children of all ages. 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

A lot of current homeschoolers aren’t interested in educational philosophy in the way my peers did when I started out. I do like talking about how people learn and how best to teach children of all ages. 

I've noticed that, although these forums are much better on average. Do you know why people are less interested? 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

Like others I initially came for the homeschooling.  But that was 9 years ago and now I know roughly what we’re doing and where we’re headed.  But I found something else here which is a bunch of people mostly more intelligent or educated than me who actually discuss stuff interestingly and intelligently and that’s not so easy to find elsewhere.  

• Like 17

I am a post homeschooler.  I started on the boards way way way back....maybe as veg source???  Certainly back when they flipped.

So now I am here for good discussion with people who can largely bec civil even if they disagree.

where else would I learn about bookshelves, tea and calculators along with kilts and cupcakes

Also, I have been in the Boards so long that people here seem like friends.

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

I think it's because most people here are at least somewhat seasoned hs'ers - or at least not complete newbies anyway. So we may not have as many "nuts and bolts" type questions now as we used to.

Most of the newbies - at least if my FB feed is any indication 😝 - aren't interested in this level or type of education.

Obviously that's a generalization and won't be true in all cases! But I remember being a newbie on these boards and it was a loooooong time before I stopped lurking and felt confident enough to post. These boards are kinda intimidating, TBH.

Edited by Momto6inIN
Typos
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Lol, in my previous incarnation, my first post was a controversial math post 😛 . With the ensuing fight... I'm never afraid to jump in, apparently 😛 . I ought to be more afraid! 

Yeah, um ... in case you haven't noticed ... you're kind of an unusual case! 🤣

And I mean that in the nicest way possible lol! You add a lot of depth and interest to the boards and I'm so glad you're here and  willing to be active! But you're definitely not the norm 😉

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, Momto6inIN said:

Yeah, um ... in case you haven't noticed ... you're kind of an unusual case! 🤣

And I mean that in the nicest way possible lol! You add a lot of depth and interest to the boards and I'm so glad you're here and  willing to be active! But you're definitely not the norm 😉

I've, errr, noticed that over the preceding few decades 😉 . I'm much more grateful for that nowadays than I used to be as a jaded and unpopular teenager, lol. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

I've, errr, noticed that over the preceding few decades 😉 . I'm much more grateful for that nowadays than I used to be as a jaded and unpopular teenager, lol. 

I think you're great!!!  But I think lots of people begin by lurking on here and you just jumped right in 🤣

• Haha 2

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Less are homeschooling for philosophical reasons- more are refugees from public schooling and often not by choice. Or so I have been told. 

Ah, I see. I suppose we're in that boat by some definition, because we did send DD8 to kindergarten. Although I did always expect to educate her despite the schools, so perhaps that's different. 

• Like 1

I was trying to remember today how long I have been here and now long the boards have existed ? 

My dd is 12.5 yo and I know I posted on here when I was having a miscarriage that I had before her...so I’ve been here at least 15 years maybe? 

Anyways- yes, those who have been around a long time have fewer questions. I post most often on the college board even though I still have a 7th grader. Most of the advice and support and just things I am interested in discussing pertain to my big kids. Plus so many people here no longer homeschooling or even with kids at home.

But the chat board can get you an answer to just about anything. I post most often looking for suggestions or product reviews. There is very little you could post on the chat board and not have someone chime in with an opinion. It’s very effective as a research tool.

• Like 6

I am done homeschooling (working as a teacher with homeschool kids) so this is my teachers' lounge. I can join a conversation about teaching math, but sometimes, it is just nice to chat about something other than work.  Plus these people are super smart!

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, lmrich said:

I am done homeschooling (working as a teacher with homeschool kids) so this is my teachers' lounge. I can join a conversation about teaching math, but sometimes, it is just nice to chat about something other than work.  Plus these people are super smart!

Pretty much ditto.  My kids are all grown, I'm now tutoring others' kids, but this has, perhaps embarrassingly, become one of my primary social outlets.  The people here are intelligent and interesting and I can talk about all kinds of things!

Why there aren't ranks of newbies joining in and populating the Ed boards is a whole different question...

• Like 16

I think a lot of younger homeschoolers just don't use forums. Many forums have died a slow death as people moved to other types of forums: facebook, redditt, blogs, and very few of the younger generations use plain old fashion topical forums. This set up was very Gen. X and Gen X is on the tail end of raising kids and homeschooling. 

I do like chatting with people rather than just reading old threads. It is not the same thing but I don't have that much to ask. I'm also at a fairly exhausting time in my life so I don't always engage as much as I could.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

Why there aren't ranks of newbies joining in and populating the Ed boards is a whole different question...

Yeah, that’s really the question, I guess. It sounds like this board is active because it’s full of people who had joined back when forums were more popular. Now, most people are in FB groups... I have nothing against FB groups, but I haven’t found one as academically minded as here.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, frogger said:

I think a lot of younger homeschoolers just don't use forums. Many forums have died a slow death as people moved to other types of forums: facebook, redditt, blogs, and very few of the younger generations use plain old fashion topical forums. This set up was very Gen. X and Gen X is on the tail end of raising kids and homeschooling. 

I do like chatting with people rather than just reading old threads. It is not the same thing but I don't have that much to ask. I'm also at a fairly exhausting time in my life so I don't always engage as much as I could.

Yeah, jinx. And again, I don’t mind FB, but I like actually getting to know people and people giving thoughtful answers. Also, FB doesn’t lend itself to as much civility. I’m not entirely sure why.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My son is now in his final (finally!) year of college. I started posting here when he was in 5th grade, so obviously done with homeschooling. 

I post a lot on the college board as I'm a TA and student myself. 

I enjoy the chat here, people I've "known" for years. I don't post much about homeschooling because so much has changed since we finished, I wouldn't feel comfortable talking about programs that have probably changed. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, frogger said:

And if you figure out where the interesting homeschooling philosophy type things are being discussed, let me know. 😉

Yeah, same to you 😉 . If I weren’t so busy, I’d start a FB group. I’ve started nerdy FB groups before 😉 . But they require a lot of upkeep to keep alive.

• Like 1

I can't understand at all why everyone moved to FB groups.  You absolutely cannot have these kinds of discussions there.  Email groups were also much better for discussions - it was easy to find threads and past discussions there too.  On FB it's all quick comments, and it seems old posts just go *poof* in short order.   It's awful.  People left these forums and email groups to go there.  WHY????  It's a huge downgrade in effective online communication - like a de-evolution.   

I'm just really happy that I'm not the only oldster who's sticking around.  Heaven forbid these boards go *poof* someday, I will have no idea where to have in depth intelligent conversation on a wide range of topics, not to mention useful and thoughtful recommendations or advice for anything or any topic I might need!

• Like 31

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, same to you 😉 . If I weren’t so busy, I’d start a FB group. I’ve started nerdy FB groups before 😉 . But they require a lot of upkeep to keep alive.

I dropped my Facebook account and have no interest in going back. Reddit really isn't better.  I love the forum format. You can get to know people but still search for topics and I like categories and finding stuff I wouldn't have searched for but there are just so few newbies now. 

• Like 6

A goodly number of young homeschoolers I know have WhatsApp groups but I can't see it as any better than fb or reddit except it's encrypted. 

I'd go mad  if I didn't have this board. I have no one IRL to talk to about so much. I have what I call "kugel (Jewish casserole-pudding made for the Sabbath) friends", people I can talk recipes with or other light, non intelligent stuff conversations and it wears on me. 

Thank you all so much. 

• Like 19

9 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I can't understand at all why everyone moved to FB groups.  You absolutely cannot have these kinds of discussions there.  Email groups were also much better for discussions - it was easy to find threads and past discussions there too.  On FB it's all quick comments, and it seems old posts just go *poof* in short order.   It's awful.  People left these forums and email groups to go there.  WHY????  It's a huge downgrade in effective online communication - like a de-evolution.   

I'm just really happy that I'm not the only oldster who's sticking around.  Heaven forbid these boards go *poof* someday, I will have no idea where to have in depth intelligent conversation on a wide range of topics, not to mention useful and thoughtful recommendations or advice for anything or any topic I might need!

Well, FB is just THERE. It combines different facets of your life and your phone pings when there’s a post 😉 . 

I started on a forum like this for babywearing and moved to FB for the quicker conversations. I haven’t yet felt tempted by FB for homeschooling, but then this is a better and deeper forum and I haven’t found anything similar on FB...

• Like 1

It's been like that for as long as I've been around--so 2004 though I don't think "chat" was in the title back then.

I think part of it is that the Chat Board has something for everyone whereas the rest of the boards have the potential to split us into smaller groups.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, YaelAldrich said:

A goodly number of young homeschoolers I know have WhatsApp groups but I can't see it as any better than fb or reddit except it's encrypted. 

I'd go mad  if I didn't have this board. I have no one IRL to talk to about so much. I have what I call "kugel (Jewish casserole-pudding made for the Sabbath) friends", people I can talk recipes with or other light, non intelligent stuff conversations and it wears on me. 

Thank you all so much. 

Yeah, I have lots of local homeschooling friends, but we don’t have deep conversations. I love having those friends, and their kids are friends with my kids, but it’s not the same.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EKS said:

It's been like that for as long as I've been around--so 2004 though I don't think "chat" was in the title back then.

I think part of it is that the Chat Board has something for everyone whereas the rest of the boards have the potential to split us into smaller groups.

Aaah, interesting.

I wasn’t active on this board before COVID. But then when COVID hit I needed a place where people were aligned with me, and most local people weren’t.

4 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

The Cult of the Expert is pretty strong out there in the world. There is a certain sense about how parents are not supposed to take responsibility for their children's upbringings so much as take responsibility for outsourcing it to appropriately qualified people.

I appreciate expertise in some topics 😉 . I hope that someone who needs a math question answered asks me, and I’ll absolutely ask my friends who do physics or engineering about those.

But we don’t really HAVE that many experts in teaching kids. We have way more people that THINK they know things. And that’s a big difference.

• Like 3

I know I wondered on to the educational forums looking for curriculum tips.  Than checked out the chat board out of curiosity and was hooked.  

I think it was the thread about the little dog humping a doll and getting tangled up that really got me.  You just never know what you are going to find here.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 2
  • Haha 12

20 years ago when I read, and partially followed TWTM, I spent ALL my time on the education boards. I didn’t find my way to chat for years. My youngest just graduated homeschool. I don’t have it in me to have any more regular, intense curriculum conversations. I played through all that by about 9 years ago when my oldest began high school. 

Chat is my main online social outlet. I come here to argue about cupcakes and washing machines. I haven’t visited the other boards in YEARS. Sometimes I accidentally land on the General Education board, but I back out real quick. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, EKS said:

This was the “general “ board initially, I think. Then it got divided further. 

• Like 5

I've got a 3rd and 5th grader and what I've noticed is that the General and K-8 boards are more active during breaks - summer, Christmas, etc. - when people are planning or changing curriculum or looking for help for the next year. I also tend to see a flurry right as the new academic year or semester get started as people have trouble with a curriculum or a child needs help in a particular subject. Then it's very quiet in the middle of semseters......as if everyone's too busy to ask questions. Then at the next break, it gets active again. But that's just my observation over the last few years.

I quit researching and thinking about homeschool philosophies a year or so ago. I was soooooo stressed out by ideal curriculum and what I considered to be the ideal homeschool philosophy......none of which every got done. So I quit thinking or talking about it and just continued continuing on with what was getting done. I do enjoy reading about it though.

I still check the General and K-8 boards everyday. There's just not much going on there right now. 

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I figured everyone moved to the WTM FB group and that’s why the educational boards were so quiet. Like you, Matryoshka, I can’t figure out why they’d want to do that, though. FB is a terrible format for a lengthy discussion and the search feature doesn’t work on the ipad at all.

I find it very sad that the educational boards aren’t as active, though I am officially done homeschooling for myself and so I no longer need them. But they were my lifeline for the 12 years I did homeschool...well, maybe only 10. I don’t think I found WTM until I was a couple of years into it. My oldest is in college and my youngest is in a cyberschool now, so I’m not a homeschooler anymore. I learned everything I needed to know about homeschooling on these boards. I honestly don’t think I could have done it without the boards and I think it’s a shame that the knowledge here will slowly pass away as the older threads get older and older and there aren’t new threads to replace them.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 13