Menu

One little family gathering...

BlsdMama

We had my beautiful niece’s wedding last weekend. ❤️ Everything was lovely. It did NOT rain after all. 

Yesterday FIL got his positive test. Later, SIL got her positive result back. Oldest DD (married with her own family) called to say she has lost all sense of taste and smell. Her test is scheduled for Monday AM. 

Statistically, 3 households, 3 positives, only one shared event. Thus far, we were asymptomatic, but with oldest DD two more times earlier this week. Today DD16 and I have pretty awful headaches. Sigh. 

Obviously, we are quarantining. DH starts working 100% from home tomorrow AM - timing is great. 

I was scheduled to spend two days in instruction with Andrew Pudewa this week. 😞 Four of my girls were scheduled as well. Sigh. This stinks. ACT is scheduled for Saturday - no idea how to reschedule that and it will make her miss the deadline for her #1 school’s merit scholarships deadline.  And all only this level of suck assumes it will go smoothly with all of us. Truly I am most concerned about my FIL. He is in great physical condition but respiratory stuff kicks his butt. 😕

• Sad 60

I'm passing this on to family that is planning to attend a wedding. Sigh. Cases in their rural area have been super low, but half of their (less than 100) cases county-wide have been diagnosed in the last couple of weeks. They think it's due to leaf peepers who are coming out in record numbers--tourists are blocking roads and being turned away at state park entrances because there are so many. 

Scratch that--they did just pass 100, but less than half those cases didn't exist about three weeks ago! 

Edited by kbutton
new info
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I’m sorry to hear this and hope everyone recovers quickly and completely.

My mom is in the hospital (not Covid related) in a Covid hotspot and my brother and his wife there went to a wedding yesterday. He and his family are doing so much for her while my local sister does nothing and I’m 2000 miles away, so I definitely felt like I couldn’t criticize or even comment on their choice, despite the fact that they are visiting her in the hospital. And I know my mom wanted them to go. She was also invited, but not planning to attend, even before the hospitalization.

Edited by Frances
  • Sad 2

I'm so sorry too!  I hope ya'll get over this quickly and don't require hospital visits.  It is a risk to do anything like this, but people keep doing it.  I really hope your daughter gets to reschedule her ACT because it seems as if it is pretty important for her to take it.

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

We had my beautiful niece’s wedding last weekend. ❤️ Everything was lovely. It did NOT rain after all. 

Yesterday FIL got his positive test. Later, SIL got her positive result back. Oldest DD (married with her own family) called to say she has lost all sense of taste and smell. Her test is scheduled for Monday AM. 

Statistically, 3 households, 3 positives, only one shared event. Thus far, we were asymptomatic, but with oldest DD two more times earlier this week. Today DD16 and I have pretty awful headaches. Sigh. 

Obviously, we are quarantining. DH starts working 100% from home tomorrow AM - timing is great. 

I was scheduled to spend two days in instruction with Andrew Pudewa this week. 😞 Four of my girls were scheduled as well. Sigh. This stinks. ACT is scheduled for Saturday - no idea how to reschedule that and it will make her miss the deadline for her #1 school’s merit scholarships deadline.  And all only this level of suck assumes it will go smoothly with all of us. Truly I am most concerned about my FIL. He is in great physical condition but respiratory stuff kicks his butt. 😕

I am so very sorry.   I don't mean to diminish what you are feeling in any way, but I would like to encourage you that I've seen four cases recently where I thought the people who got sick were doomed.  Two of them in a nursing home, and the other two were senior adults with poor health.  All four of them have done remarkably well, only one had to be intubated.  One of the nursing home cases, a 98 year old diva :-) , didn't even go to the hospital, and she definitely had some statistical "cards" stacked against her.

1 minute ago, Halftime Hope said:

I am so very sorry.   I don't mean to diminish what you are feeling in any way, but I would like to encourage you that I've seen four cases recently where I thought the people who got sick were doomed.  Two of them in a nursing home, and the other two were senior adults with poor health.  All four of them have done remarkably well, only one had to be intubated.  One of the nursing home cases, a 98 year old diva :-) , didn't even go to the hospital, and she definitely had some statistical "cards" stacked against her.

It's a very random virus. While age obviously matters, I've heard plenty of stories of people who were old and didn't even get symptoms. There's clearly some variable we don't understand driving people's symptom severity. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

It's a very random virus. While age obviously matters, I've heard plenty of stories of people who were old and didn't even get symptoms. There's clearly some variable we don't understand driving people's symptom severity. 

I have no basis for this, but I wonder if it's not the degree of exposure.  That would explain the two nursing homes cases I referenced, at any rate.  (Caregivers at that location had been meticulous about PPE.) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Is it weird I’m not terrified? My diaphragm and breathing is not yet affected. If someone had told me I’d likely get it going to this, I’m not sure I would have stayed home tbh. We’ve been very “good,” imo, as far as risk. This was a small wedding and it was a family that is SO important to me. I don’t think I’d have chosen to miss it, even if. I am curious to see how it affects attitudes towards Covid in our families. 

• Like 3

((((BlsdMama and family))))

Many prayers for you all.

Let me tell you this: A friend from church moved to a new home; her dh (of course), adult children, and grandchildren all helped with the moving process. They all got c*vid. They were all mildly sick for about 10 days, and they all got better and went on with their lives. My friend said it was no worse than a mild flu.

34 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

I have no basis for this, but I wonder if it's not the degree of exposure.  That would explain the two nursing homes cases I referenced, at any rate.  (Caregivers at that location had been meticulous about PPE.) 

Viral load? That seems to be part of it for sure. But it doesn't seem to be all of it. 

1 hour ago, Halftime Hope said:

Yes this is believed to be true.  But also some other factors 

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Praying for your whole family.

I hate this.  Every time I feel like we should loosen up and not live in isolation, I hear stuff like this.  It just sucks.

You know, I don't feel like we should be living in isolation anymore, but I really don't understand the people having weddings.  OP--I am not judging you for going.  I think it puts family and good friends in a really bad spot to have to choose to go and take the risk or miss such an important event. And I can't imagine hosting an event that turned out to be a spreader.  Why not just wait for the party?  You can still get married.  Maybe I am too far removed from that season of life, I don't know. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

Is it weird I’m not terrified? My diaphragm and breathing is not yet affected. If someone had told me I’d likely get it going to this, I’m not sure I would have stayed home tbh. We’ve been very “good,” imo, as far as risk. This was a small wedding and it was a family that is SO important to me. I don’t think I’d have chosen to miss it, even if. I am curious to see how it affects attitudes towards Covid in our families. 

No, I don't think it's weird not to be terrified.  

We went to a funeral in July and there was no social distancing, the services were held in a crowded small room, people wore masks but took them off, etc.  As far as I know, no one got sick - I was relieved, but very surprised since people came from all over to attend and very few people were being careful.  

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

One variable appears to be how much "throwback" Neanderthal DNA you have. I mean, that's pretty random! (and as someone who supposedly has more than average, not cool!)

5 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

It’s such a weird virus.  I personally know of three weddings lately with over 150 people each(in flagrant disregard of the rules but no one seems to care, even the venues, though one was a backyard wedding). None were masked or social distancing and each wedding had one person who turned up positive for Covid within 48 hours of the wedding—but nobody else got sick. No cases were linked to the weddings.

And then you have a very small family only wedding and everyone gets sick.  It’s just so bizarre and there’s so much we don’t know.

I think this is something we already know — most people aren’t spreaders.

• Like 2

I keep thinking back to Mary Mullins (Typhoid Mary for reference though I hate to call her that). How unfair life is.

That being said I would find being a superspreader a fate worse then death which is why I mask so much not really because I'm that afraid of getting it.  I'm not saying others should feel that way, it seems unhealthy, and I won't blame those who happen to be superspreaders, it's just how I'd feel about things.

Edited by frogger
Just punctuation
  • Like 7

23 minutes ago, frogger said:

I keep thinking back to Mary Mullins (Typhoid Mary for reference though I hate to call her that). How unfair life is.

That being said I would find being a superspreader a fate worse then death which is why I mask so much not really because I'm that afraid of getting it.  I'm not saying others should feel that way, it seems unhealthy, and I won't blame those who happen to be superspreaders, it's just how I'd feel about things.

Yeah, I’d feel awful about it.

I'm really sorry, and I truly hope that no one else gets sick in your family.

Do you mind sharing a few details about the wedding and how people interacted? My nephew is getting married in January. He and his fiance are planning a very short and simple ceremony with perhaps 70 people invited, without a reception. They want to be cautious, and we want to be able to be there. The fact that there is no reception makes it less risky, but having to be inside makes it more risky.

The two mothers are hoping that the bride and groom will at least have a small dinner just for immediate family. Although we would love to do this (if invited), we would most likely skip that and drive back home.

This side of our family has been super cautious and did not get together for the annual outdoor extended family Labor Day picnic and will not see each other for Thanksgiving or Christmas, as we normally do. I am really glad that the bride is being careful, but I think attending the wedding is still a risk.

• Like 1

I’m very sorry to hear this.  Such tough decisions right now.  

A very dear neighbor across the street died last week at 95.  I wanted to go to the funeral so bad.  But I decided that I just shouldn’t.  150 people under an outdoor awning, followed by a big dinner at her grown daughter’s house.  So awful to miss it, so risky to go.  No good thing to do.

• Like 3

Well, someone’s golf partner was positive. I’m not even asking if it was known before the wedding because I want to continue liking this person. Smh. 
My oldest DD has lost her sense of taste and smell. We were them Thursday and Friday before we’d heard positive results. 
It seems my brother in law (father of the bride) is now symptomatic. We’ll see. 

DD19 had to have a rapid test today. She has no symptoms and was negative. She also has to have a normal test weekly. For the life of me, I don’t understand letting her work but they are at the point of not being able to provide adequate care. 

I scheduled five of us for testing - four symptomatic (very mild) and one asymptomatic who is involved in a play. We will repeat if they are negative because I just hate the idea of exposing someone healthy who then exposes someone not, kwim? 

ETA: I can understand why having a small group of family and friends to celebrate. It’s a big day! We attended a wedding in the spring that was park in the parking lot and honk. It was SO disheartening. There is no foreseeable safe time for a large gathering so a small celebration seems apt. I would have still chosen to go even had I known we’d be exposed. This was a thing to celebrate with joy. I’ve already gotten the regret and sorry text from my sister in law and it breaks my heart if she feels a minute of sadness over this. Their family hit a rough spell this year medically and I’m so glad they had a moment of joy and celebration. It was truly needed and important.

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

On 10/11/2020 at 1:10 PM, BlsdMama said:

With this experience what is your advice to others? Do you think attending the lovely wedding was worth the family cases it apparently spawned?  

18 minutes ago, Pen said:

With this experience what is your advice to others? Do you think attending the lovely wedding was worth the family cases it apparently spawned?  

For me? Yes. But everyone is healthy except me. 😉 And I’d rather go out now with Covid than ALS, just being brutally honest. 

This is what I liked - they celebrated their day. They invited us. If we would have decided not to go, that decision would have been completely respected. I wanted to go and had the freedom to choose it. Now, if I were to find out that golf buddy had a positive test before the wedding and person A knew he’d been exposed and said, “Meh, I wanna go?” That makes him a grade A jerk. But I digress... like I said, I don’t think I wanna know. 

• Like 8

For me? Yes. But everyone is healthy except me. 😉 And I’d rather go out now with Covid than ALS, just being brutally honest. 

This is what I liked - they celebrated their day. They invited us. If we would have decided not to go, that decision would have been completely respected. I wanted to go and had the freedom to choose it. Now, if I were to find out that golf buddy had a positive test before the wedding and person A knew he’d been exposed and said, “Meh, I wanna go?” That makes him a grade A jerk. But I digress... like I said, I don’t think I wanna know. 

I do think that it is wise to not ask. 

I think there is more to life than physical health and am glad you got to attend. You are being careful to try to make sure you don't pass it on too which is a blessing to others.

Hoping with you that you all have mild cases.

I wanted to ask something similar and hope my question comes across as simply that and nothing more: With the events your dc were scheduled to take part in (ACT, Pudewa) and your FIL's health would you have done things differently looking back? I ask because my mom lives by us and my oldest is heading into some big testing as well, but I go back and forth between attending a special event (wedding, ironically) and saying 'no' in order to not expose my family or mom. But then I wonder if it's worth not going? I don't know if I fear COVID or my dd's disappointment if the deadlines were missed should we find out we were exposed and had to quarantine. Or COVID vs. my mom's health.

I guess my question might also include is your family (FIL, dc) still supportive of the decision to go to the wedding even with the exposure and resulting consequences (isolation, etc.)? Was this a group decision and everyone knew the risks? Or were the risks low where you live?

In my area things are so lax and "normal" that I honestly don't know which way to go with our own decision. I like weddings...I like wedding cake...mmmmm, cake....

I hope all exposed come through safely and quickly, BlsdMama.

12 minutes ago, BakersDozen said:

In my area things are so lax and "normal" that I honestly don't know which way to go with our own decision. I like weddings...I like wedding cake...mmmmm, cake....

Wedding cake is compelling, but you, like me, might discover that you have a local bakery that sells wedding cake by the slice and really that changes everything. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Wedding cake is compelling, but you, like me, might discover that you have a local bakery that sells wedding cake by the slice and really that changes everything.

Wait, what?? Calling bakeries first thing tomorrow morning! This could be life changing for me.

Edited by BakersDozen
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1