Menu

The Writer's Jungle

Hi everyone - this is for all the users and past users of the BraveWriter products.  I have already read all the archived and current posts but nothing has truly helped me with my issue.  I have been looking into purchasing The Writer's Jungle for quite a long time, decide against it, and then come back around that  may, just maybe there is something in there that would be worth the steep cost.  I understand it's more philosophical without any lesson plans but that part doesn't bother me.  What I'm wanting for my daughter (and other kids as they grow) are ideas for writing projects and ways to help guide my kids.  My daughter tried the freewriting late last year and she absolutely hated it (usually ended up writing about how stupid it was LOL).  Now she just writes her own stories and poems whenever an idea hits her until she tires of it, which is really great. 

Does WJ provide ideas for writing projects or is it just one convoluted speech? (which is why I can't watch her videos or listen to her podcasts - I prefer things to the point.)

I've also looked into PW because I like some of those projects but two-thirds of the book is useless for me and I cannot see spending that much for ten projects.  We already do spelling and she's ahead in her grammar (thanks to two years of FLL), and we do composition from Memoria Press, which has really helped her improved summarizing and dictation. 

I had looked into WWE but that didn't work for us because I just need something that focuses on writing ideas and projects, that show the process and help teach the importance of editing and such.

Thank you for your time,

There are not many specific ideas for writing projects in that book.  

More so it is a description of the process of teaching composition, which is different from physical writing, or grammar, or editing.  It describes a typical progression, and how to be of assistance at each stage.  There is a focus on copywork at least in the early stages, and on taking the student’s dictation at times.  It’s not for teaching writing formulaicly but more for bringing forth the writer in the writer’s on unique ‘voice’.  As such, it was helpful *for me* — more of a train the trainer resource than a curriculum per se.  I am very glad that I had it, but I didn’t use it directly.

If you are looking for very specific writing projects, Writing Strands is like that, and it was helpful to me to use both.  One thing I appreciated about Writing Strands is that it didn’t teach only non-fiction writing, and also, it didn’t combine composition strongly with editing. That last was very important for my DD, who was not a natural speller or a neat hand writer on any level.  I used editor in chief and copywork to teach spelling and editing, and it all finally came together in the middle school years.  

I have to say—it’s been quite a while since I used these, and there are probably other resources that have been published since then that are good so I am reluctant to be stronger in the recs than that.  

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 12:21 PM, son914 said:

I had looked into WWE but that didn't work for us because I just need something that focuses on writing ideas and projects, that show the process and help teach the importance of editing and such.

A question:  may I ask what kind of writing instruction you seek?  If you are looking for creative writing instruction/ideas, you might look at Well-Trained Mind Press' Creative Writer.  

Writing With Ease is focused on expository writing, and is preparatory to Writing With Skill--which does provide a lot of ideas and instruction for students learning to write essays an prepare for rhetoric-level writing.  

What curriculum you want depends on the goals you have for your kiddos.

I love Bravewriter, but based on what you have said, I really don't think it's a good fit for you, and would not spend the money on it.  

Here are some affordable books that have made a big impact on how I teach writing:

The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever, by Mericonda (aimed at grades 2-4, but useful at all levels for creative writing)

Step-by-step Strategies for Teaching Expository Writing, also by Mericonda.  (aimed at grades 4-6)

Both of these books are aimed at classroom teaching, but offer excellent advice.

The Writing Revolution by Hochman et al.   (strategies for all grades K-12)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 2:19 AM, Helpdesk said:

A question:  may I ask what kind of writing instruction you seek?  If you are looking for creative writing instruction/ideas, you might look at Well-Trained Mind Press' Creative Writer.  

Writing With Ease is focused on expository writing, and is preparatory to Writing With Skill--which does provide a lot of ideas and instruction for students learning to write essays an prepare for rhetoric-level writing.  

What curriculum you want depends on the goals you have for your kiddos.

That’s a good question and I think basic writing instruction is what I’ve been seeking. Not dictation, spelling, grammar, or any of those things but the writing practice itself and different forms of writing, along with fun and creative projects. I’ve not seen WTP Creative Writer and will look into that. 

On 10/13/2020 at 1:29 PM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I love Bravewriter, but based on what you have said, I really don't think it's a good fit for you, and would not spend the money on it.  

Here are some affordable books that have made a big impact on how I teach writing:

The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever, by Mericonda (aimed at grades 2-4, but useful at all levels for creative writing)

Step-by-step Strategies for Teaching Expository Writing, also by Mericonda.  (aimed at grades 4-6)

Both of these books are aimed at classroom teaching, but offer excellent advice.

The Writing Revolution by Hochman et al.   (strategies for all grades K-12)

Writing Revolution came in the other day and it’s so amazing. I can see how this will help with writing skills or the future and plan to implement it with  some other resources I’ve come across. 

• Like 1