Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW41: 41 Things

I'm sticking with what I consider fluffy reads for the time being. I'm continuing to play in Fiona Quinn's World of Iniquus paranormal action adventure romance series and currently on book 3 in her Lynx series. One picks up where the other leaves off so glad I'm finding this series now when all the books are out.  

On 10/11/2020 at 4:13 PM, Æthelflæd said:

Like Mothersweets I haven't finished anything new either but wanted to say Hi!!! 👋

I was enjoying the first book, Dissolution, that Mum recommended me, but then 2020 hit and I went ADD again and couldn't keep focused and didn't want to miss things, so used the trick y'all suggested earlier in the summer and went back to a loved previous read. So I'm back in the Pillars of the Earth. 😂 I think I might just stay here until after November. 

I watched and really enjoyed Ratched on Netflix (which took away from reading time too). It almost had me want to reread Cuckoo's Nest, as it's been ages since I've read it or watched it, but then I decided that might take me out of my happy place. Ratched just has a whole different feel than Cuckoo's nest- book and movie. 

On a non-book topic, @Robin M- how's the Hemi doing? 🙂

Waving hi!  We're enjoying the heck out of it, but haven't had much opportunity to really go all out. She's sleek and fast  and have to watch it because by the time I hit the highway to merge, most of the time already going 80.   And since the police use Dodge Chargers and Challengers around these parts for highway patrol,  folks just seem to slow down and glide out of my way at night.   Hee Hee!

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Pen I just finished a great dog book which you may or may not😉 have recommended to me.  Kindle and goodreads have both recommended many times while I have been waiting for my hold!   A Borrowing of Bones features a former female Marine and her inherited military sniffer dog.  The characters are both damaged and trying to figure out how to go forward when they find an abandoned crying baby and a human femur bone on a wilderness walk......I can’t wait to continue the story!  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37638044-a-borrowing-of-bones

My fluffy spooky cozy theme has been going really well.  I found two series so far that I fully expect to continue reading.

The Ghost and Mrs. McClure https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/156510.The_Ghost_and_Mrs_McClure was great as an audio book.  Sort of a remake of my favorite movie ghost except in this one there is a Mickey Spillane type private detective haunting the bookshop where he died in the 40’s.  My library has the series on audio so definitely finishing this series. @aggieamy may have recommended these to me as I had them marked to read.

Pumpkins is Paradise https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31130648-pumpkins-in-paradise is a typical fluffy mystery filled with likable characters.  Nothing special except I liked the whole package quite a bit and already have the next one checked out.  It’s an audiobook so huge bonus points as I seem to be quilting quite a bit again.

• Like 7

Hello all, I think it's been a couple weeks since I posted but I now I feel caught up.

I recently finished Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman and All Systems Red (Murderbot Diaries).  The first was... fine. Kind of fun. Really enjoyed the second and have the next in the series on hold (there is a long queue so it will be a while).

Has anyone read Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak (author of The Book Thief)? A friend suggested it for a tiny book group I'm in (3 women including me) and I'm struggling with the writing style. Frankly it surprises me that this particular woman loved this book!  I've not even made it to 10% complete and I am baffled by the story line.  We are meeting to talk about it on Monday!  

I'm also slowly reading The Hive: The Story of the Honeybee and Us by Bee Wilson. She's a food writer; I enjoy her columns in the Wall Street Journal. It's a fun and engaging book. There was a time in my life I seriously considered keeping bees, and I still daydream about it sometimes though it's completely unlikely ever to happen. 

Talk of Rebecca - I had always loved that book, and have tried to get my daughter to read it, but she is not interested. I may watch the new movie but think first I will revisit the 1940 Joan Fontaine version.  Thanks for that trailer, I had no idea a new movie was coming out!

Now I have a dilemma. I love love love Tana French and her latest, The Searcher, just came out. I put it on hold at the library months ago but the queue is months long. However... during Amazon prime day, that was one of the "buy 3 pay for 2" books, and there were two other books we wanted as Christmas gifts, so... I own it. It is here right now. But I think I should save it for my husband to give me as a Christmas gift. But it's here, in my house, right now...

Thanks for the thread and all the book talk!  

• Like 7

My recent reading mostly consisted of more Puppy Patrol books to give to the youngest two.  We don't have any more new ones in the house right now, so hopefully I will get a break from elementary reading.  The books are good for what they are; I'm just ready for something less juvenile.

I did finish one of my own books -- a book of Japanese short stories.  I have not read much Asian literature, and this book was recommended by someone on the Hive.  The book is organized chronologically and I definitely enjoyed the more recent stories.  Now that I'm through the book, I want to research the authors of some of the stories that I enjoyed most.  I really know nothing about any of them.  One other thing that I noticed with these stories is that nearly every one of them (maybe all of them? I'll have to check) were written in first person.  So every time I started a new story I had to mentally start over and figure out who "I" was.  Overall, I don't think I really liked this book, but it did expand my horizons a bit and I did find a few stories that I enjoyed enough to read again.

The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories

• Like 8

And with that, I have reached Book 100 for the year!!

I wanted to set my goal for 52, but I knew that I would be reading a lot of children's books, so doubled by goal to 104 and then rounded down to 100.  I was not expecting a global pandemic, so I've been able to read a lot more than usual.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, marbel said:

I have a dilemma. I love love love Tana French and her latest, The Searcher, just came out. I put it on hold at the library months ago but the queue is months long. However... during Amazon prime day, that was one of the "buy 3 pay for 2" books, and there were two other books we wanted as Christmas gifts, so... I own it. It is here right now. But I think I should save it for my husband to give me as a Christmas gift. But it's here, in my house, right now...

There's no reason not to re-read it when you receive it at Christmas....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

Congratulations @Junie!!!! You are a reading machine! And you're making steady progress on your Bible reading, too, in two languages. May some of your self-discipline and determination rub off on me.

Yes, I'm actually almost finished this year's Bible reading, too.

OT (in English) -- all that's left is Zechariah and Malachi

NT (in Spanish) -- I still have First, Second, and Third John; Jude; and Revelation

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

Congratulations @Junie!!!! You are a reading machine! And you're making steady progress on your Bible reading, too, in two languages. May some of your self-discipline and determination rub off on me.

Well, I think we all learn from and encourage each other.  That's what I really like about this thread.  We can each help each other grow.

I know that you have encouraged me to take another look at some classic literature -- a lot of which I didn't even know existed.

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Confession: I'm on week 12 of my 2020 Bible reading schedule. But Exodus and Galatians were good. Better some than none, right?

Some is definitely better than none.  In fact, my pastor encourages us not to read through the Bible too quickly -- that we should read more slowly and meditate on what we have read rather than racing on to the next chapter or book.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I have at least a dozen brand new library books here awaiting my attention, thus I chose to re-read a book I own. Go figure! Sometimes you just want a guaranteed good read.

Parker's Sanctuary: A Guardsmen Novel 

I also read the FREE prequel 

Rescued: A “Parker’s Sanctuary” Story 

Both are by Cooper West. The novel has adult content, the prequel does not. Here's the blurb for the book:

"Greg Lademar is an ordinary and average Army veteran who has settled down with his job as an accountant and his lingering PTSD. He lives a quiet life as a single man, alone on the former blueberry farm he bought from his parents after they retired to Orlando. When a friend who works with animal control asks him to foster Parker, a severely injured dog who has just been rescued from an abusive home, the last thing Greg expects is to be dragged into the mysterious world of the Guardsmen — the bonded pairs of humans and their weredogs, known as Protectors, who are literally the stuff of myths and legends.

Greg’s life is turned upside down by unexpected events involving Parker and the strange Guardsmen pair Marcus and Alex Stephanek, but far more dangerous to him is the man who used to own Parker and holds a grudge for having “his” dog taken from him. A game of cat and mouse ensues, with more on the line than even Greg ever thought possible: his life, and the life of Parker, who has become more important to him than Greg ever imagined a rescue dog could be."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

A FREE horror book for Kindle readers. It sounds appealing to me (and I used to live in Providence), but I don't read horror.

Interlands by Vincent H. O'Neil

"A tale of modern-day horror from award-winning novelist Vincent H. O'Neil:

In Providence, Rhode Island, graduate student Angie Morse has discovered evidence that an ancient stone obelisk worshiped by a colonial-era cult is still in existence. Hoping to finish her studies with a career-boosting headline, she's combing the woods to find it.

As she digs into the history of the obelisk and the cult that perished at its feet, she's plagued by bizarre events and shadowy figures from her college days. The more time she spends in the ghostly forests outside the city, the more Angie starts to suspect the obelisk is exerting the same influence on her that doomed so many others."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Kareni said:

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed Spoiler Alert, @Dreamergal. The author, Olivia Dade, has written several other books. You can see a list here.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks ! I looked it up and there is something called Love Struck Librarian series which seems to be disputed with a previous publisher and not available. Don't know the story, but I hope she gets her rights back. 

What I like about this author from just the blurb of what is available is that she is writing inter racial relationships as just two characters, not a big production of "this is an inter racial romance book".

Thanks again for introducing me to this author !

• Like 6

Congratulations @Junie

I finally finished Queen Isabella. It says I'm at 66% but the rest is acknowledgements, sources, etc. I'll probably skim through and stop to read anything that catches my attention but I finished the actual book so I'm calling it done. 

At first I was reading a chapter now and then in The Night Watchman which is how I let the loan expire without finishing. I was finding it a slow but good read. The past few days though I've been reading several chapters at a sitting and am loving it. I think it's better when read that way. 

I started Black and British: A Forgotten History but am not in far enough to say much about it yet.

• Like 9

Congratulations to @Junie and @Lady Florida. on meeting this years reading goals!

5 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Thanks ! I looked it up and there is something called Love Struck Librarian series which seems to be disputed with a previous publisher and not available. Don't know the story, but I hope she gets her rights back. 

What I like about this author from just the blurb of what is available is that she is writing inter racial relationships as just two characters, not a big production of "this is an inter racial romance book".

Thanks again for introducing me to this author !

I happened to look up one of @Kareni’s Olivia Dade’s on my Overdrive and know the Lovestruck Liberians were part of their collection as I thought they looked interesting too.  No idea about the dispute.  I have the 40 Love book on hold by the same author.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 10/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, Junie said:

Some is definitely better than none.  In fact, my pastor encourages us not to read through the Bible too quickly -- that we should read more slowly and meditate on what we have read rather than racing on to the next chapter or book.

I agree with this. I think there is value in Bible-in-a-year plans, and also value in not striving to read it all in one year. I am finishing up a chronological reading plan for this year, and plan to take it more slowly next year. Maybe even dust off the bullet journal/commonplace book/composition book of random stuff and record a verse or two and some thought every day or few days or weeks....  

• Like 6
18 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I happened to look up one of @Kareni’s Olivia Dade’s on my Overdrive and know the Lovestruck Liberians were part of their collection as I thought they looked interesting too.  No idea about the dispute.  I have the 40 Love book on hold by the same author.

Thank you so much !!!

I thought those books were yanked out of circulation  as the author's website said currently unavailable and hard copy prices if available were expensive. It never occurred to me that they would be found in libraries. We have them in ours. Evidently very popular. Put 3 on hold. 

• Like 4

Congratulations @Junieand @Lady Florida.! This thread is very inspiring and has gotten me to read more than I had in a long time. I'm really enjoying it. Thanks to all of you.

I had a busy start to my week, with a little too much work and not enough time to read. I just came here to say that I started North and South and it's wonderful. Especially after my struggles with Balzac, this novel feels so cozy and warm. So much emotion, so much inner life, and so many likable characters. It's the story of a pastor's daughter whose family is uprooted from their home in the south of England after the father has a crisis of faith; they relocate to the industrial North. So it's a social novel as well as (I think) a romance.

Even the footnotes are fun to read and I find myself learning a lot from them. I really recommend this book.

• Like 9

Congratulations @Lady Florida. and @Junie

8 minutes ago, Little Green Leaves said:

I had a busy start to my week, with a little too much work and not enough time to read. I just came here to say that I started North and South and it's wonderful. Especially after my struggles with Balzac, this novel feels so cozy and warm. So much emotion, so much inner life, and so many likable characters. It's the story of a pastor's daughter whose family is uprooted from their home in the south of England after the father has a crisis of faith; they relocate to the industrial North. So it's a social novel as well as (I think) a romance.

Is it the book by Elizabeth Gaskell. There is a wonderful BBC series you may like to  watch if you like the book. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Congratulations @Lady Florida. and @Junie

Is it the book by Elizabeth Gaskell. There is a wonderful BBC series you may like to  watch if you like the book. 

Yes! it is Elizabeth Gaskell. Sorry, I should have said that. I'll definitely look for the series once I'm done with the book.

• Like 6
20 minutes ago, Little Green Leaves said:

Congratulations @Junieand @Lady Florida.! This thread is very inspiring and has gotten me to read more than I had in a long time. I'm really 

7 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

There is a wonderful BBC series you may like to  watch if you like the book. 

Yes. I'm often disappointed when this type of book is turned into a movie or series, but that one was well done.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

With this additional recommendation I am going to include the trailer.

<snip>

I enjoyed this too, and do want to read the book sometime.  And, I am not really a swoon-over-actors type person, but... Richard Armitage must be one of the most handsome men I've ever seen. 

• Like 6

I read a book earlier this week which I evidently neglected to mention.

I enjoyed Nowhere Man: Another John Pickett Novella by Sheri Cobb South.This is a take on It's a Wonderful Life; it was a nice read but would make no sense without having read the prior books in the series.

Incidentally, the first book in the series is currently FREE for Kindle readers:  In Milady's Chamber: A John Pickett Mystery (John Pickett Mysteries Book 1).

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I finally finished Les Miserables.  What a beautiful story.

I began reading this last November and just slowly, slowly worked my way through the story.  I already had an idea of where it was going, having seen the movie, so I didn't feel rushed to find.out.what.happens.  It was so, so enjoyable!

Now I have to pick which book I want to slowly amble through next...

Les Misérables

• Like 5
On 10/16/2020 at 3:20 PM, Little Green Leaves said:

If you like the Victorian "crisis of faith" novels, you should add to your reading list Mrs Humphry Ward's Robert Elsmere (Anglicanism to Unitarianism), John Henry Newman's Loss and Gain (Anglicanism to Catholicism), J. A. Froude's The Nemesis of Faith (Anglicanism to atheism), and Charlotte Yonge's The Daisy Chain (Anglicanism to better Anglicanism). I haven't read the last two but will when I can find them. As novels qua novels, the Gaskell and the Ward are probably the best of the lot (though Ward and Froude wrote in reaction to Newman, one doesn't have to read Newman first).

In, of course, your copious free time. 😉

• Like 2