Menu

gift ideas for 11 year old boy

hjffkj

Ds has a bday in Dec and of course Christmas as well.  I already know what we are getting for him but dh's parents get each kids A LOT of things and strictly adhere to lists.  So, I need ideas for him.  Basically, I'm expecting 8 gifts from in-laws for b-day and christmas separately.  So, 16 gift ideas total or a few more expensive ideas to lower the number of things needed.  So far, I have Minecraft dungeons, a ps4 network subscription, 2 lego sets, and a fire starter necklace. I need more ideas.

He doesn't really play with toys.  He spends a lot of time outside and the rest of his time on the computer unless he's playing board games, which he loves.  So, any ideas for basically a really nerdy kid 🙂

4 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Stocks

I have actually considered this.  But he is currently helping dh and me fix up my parents house to sell it and once it sells will get a small amount of money specifically to invest with. So, while I can still do that for his bday I think it will take away from that current plan.

• Like 1

(I'm assuming that "spends a lot of time outside" means he has a naturalist tendency.)

Owl pellets (+ dissection kit if needed)

Animal track casting kit

Pocket microscope

A high quality insect net

Insect mounting materials

Animal/plant field guides

Whittling kit w/ cut proof gloves

Wood burning kit

How many people does he usually have available to join in a board game?  I have suggestions, but they are generally best with 4 or more players.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

My boy is 13. He is into video games and playing outside.

One of the first things we bought during the pandemic was a something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Aoneky-Mini-Portable-Tennis-Driveway/dp/B01LXNHJ8L/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=tennis+net&qid=1602362240&sr=8-6

Except ours has longer posts and can be staked to the ground. We bought ours on Amazon and it came with two tennis rackets and cost around $45. I can't find it now. We also bought a badminton set and a volleyball.

We also have a basketball hoop, a proper one not one of those portable ones. My boy gets hours of entertainment out of it and shoots hoops by himself or "socially distanced" sinking hoops in opposite driveway baskets with a friend.

We also have a soccer net and a soccer ball.

It basically saved our boy and frankly DH and me because it has given us hours of outside time to play.

The second is raspberry pi. So many things on Youtube and websites to do. 

We have all things sport wise.

I will look into a raspberry pi.  He is learning coding right now with a udemy class and is enjoying that a lot so maybe a raspberry pi would be a good next step. thank you

Edited by hjffkj

11 minutes ago, Cecropia said:

(I'm assuming that "spends a lot of time outside" means he has a naturalist tendency.)

Owl pellets (+ dissection kit if needed)

Animal track casting kit

Pocket microscope

A high quality insect net

Insect mounting materials

Animal/plant field guides

Whittling kit w/ cut proof gloves

Wood burning kit

How many people does he usually have available to join in a board game?  I have suggestions, but they are generally best with 4 or more players.

thank you got the bolded! great ideas that him or even his brother would love.  He generally has at least 4 people to play with and will have more once his cousins move across the street which will be before his bday hopefully.

• Like 1

This is a fun non-fiction book that is great for browsing; I've found that husbands like it, too. (Just try to look past the cover!)

Oh, Yuck! The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty by Joy Masoff

Is someone willing to play a game with your son?

If yes, Quarto or the smaller Quarto mini for two players only.

Also Onirim (one or two players) or Friday (solo play).

I'm curious about ...

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

a fire starter necklace

Can you tell me more?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hjffkj said:

He generally has at least 4 people to play with and will have more once his cousins move across the street which will be before his bday hopefully.

Robo Rally

King of Tokyo

Smash Up

Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Jaws

and I can't leave out my kids' #1 favorite -- Scribblish -- we make our own paper tapes that are twice as long as those given in the set, and we save them all to laugh at when we pull the game out again.

For 2 players, Patchwork is an interesting game.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2020 at 6:00 PM, Kareni said:

This is a fun non-fiction book that is great for browsing; I've found that husbands like it, too. (Just try to look past the cover!)

Oh, Yuck! The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty by Joy Masoff

Is someone willing to play a game with your son?

If yes, Quarto or the smaller Quarto mini for two players only.

Also Onirim (one or two players) or Friday (solo play).

I'm curious about ...

Can you tell me more?

Regards,

Kareni

We have that book and all my kids find it fun!  WE are a family of board game players and there is usually at least one person at all times willing to play a game.  We have Quarto, great game!  Haven't heard of the other two, will look into them thank.

Fire starter necklace like this https://www.amazon.com/PSKOOK-Necklace-Survival-Paracord-Magnesium/dp/B073F53GHX/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=fire%2Bstarter%2Bnecklace&qid=1602552361&sr=8-6&th=1 but a friend of mine made him one.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 7:13 PM, mmasc said:

all wonderful suggestions, thank you!  

• Like 1