Menu

Co-ops and COVID

mom@shiloh

We are all online.  Just made a decision to continue online after the holidays too.  

Our co-op is requiring teachers to have online synchronous meetings weekly and hosting some online gaming/chat/lunch break times.  

Our co-op is for tweens/teens so it's a little easier to be online than if it were directed toward younger kids.  I know a local co-op that was meeting at a park this fall.  

We are meeting with masks required under state law (over age 5) and stepped-up cleaning protocols. We did lose about 1/3 of our group when the state mask mandate was announced. There are a very small number of individuals who do not wear a mask and I don't know why, but co-op leadership's policy is that if they do not wear a mask, they will assume that they have a good reason. 

We go, and I even take my high-risk child, because I feel like we have already reduced our risk in many other areas, and co-op is important for our mental health. 

Ours is doing monthly-ish activities. I think they are supposed to be outdoors, stuff like the Pumpkin Patch. We aren't going. It might be fine, but people around here are just not being very careful. We had only one year under our belt with this co-op, so we didn't know people super well.

Band has resumed, but we're definitely not doing that. Again, people here aren't that careful, band is a lot of blowing air, and our band is not that disciplined in the "follow directions" and "pay attention" sense.

Not exactly a coop, but our homeschooling center here (paid classes) is meeting again. We aren't going, though -- indoor meetings for the whole day aren't going to be our thing this year. I've started a Zoom class for social time to keep in touch with DD8's friends and we're trying to spend more time outside. We're also podding with in-laws to make this time psychologically feasible. 

Our co-op started back in September. Some classes are online only. There is a reduced number of classes being offered in person. The schedule was adjusted to only have classes in the morning so there is no eating lunch at co-op. Masks are required and social distancing is enforced. Parents are not allowed in the building. 

We are only doing online this year so we have not been to co-op in person.  

Susan in TX