Menu

Another FAFSA question

Nicholas_mom

What did you put down for this question:

What will your high school completion status be when you begin college in the 2021-2022 school year?

• "High school diploma” means you have received or will receive a U.S. high school diploma, or a foreign school diploma that’s equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma before the first date of your enrollment in a college or career school.
  • “GED certificate or state authorized high school equivalent certificate” means you have received or will receive a General Educational Development (GED) certificate, or state authorized high school equivalent certificate before the first date of your enrollment in a college or career school. A state authorized high school equivalent certificate is a certificate that the issuing state recognizes as the equivalent of a high school diploma in that state. Note: A high school certificate of attendance and/or a certificate of completion are NOT the equivalent of a high school diploma.
  • “Home schooled” means you’ve completed home schooling at the secondary level regulated by your state.
  • “None of the above” means you don’t have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent, and didn’t complete secondary school in a home school setting.

I thought High School Diploma....and I submitted the FAFSA already.  I think I did not read all the options and missed the 'Homeschooled' option.  But I also thought automatically, why of course, a high school diploma.   Do I do a corrections for this?  FAFSA is giving me a headache!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicholas_mom said:

ok.....In PA the PA Dept of Education recognizes our diploma.  According to my PA evaluator, she thought answer US Diploma would be correct.  For us, using US Diploma would be ok.

Does someone else have a better insight that I am not understanding???  

I think it’s ridiculous that they have a separate category for homeschool students. I had my kids select that they had a high school diploma. They were schooled according to the laws of our state and have a legitimate the diploma. It shouldn’t matter that they were home schooled. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JanetC said:

If your student graduates with a diploma from a high school or cover school with a number in the federal database, put high school. Otherwise, put homeschool. Makes it much easier if your FAFSA is selected for verification.

My kids have both been selected for verification a couple of times over the last five years. It didn’t matter what we selected for the diploma. We type in the name of our homeschool, even though there isn’t a number for it. The form has always accepted it.

Edited by MerryAtHope
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We selected Homeschool, and I'm glad we did. We didn't have to answer any information about what high school my daughter attended. I would assume either answer is okay, as technically, your homeschool student will receive a diploma. Our stat recognized homeschools as private schools, so we could've answered the other way as well.

Angie

• Like 1