Menu

Songs with the best guitar solos

itsheresomewhere

DD just started taking electric guitar lessons and has fallen in love with it.  We got to talking about different songs and artists on which ones had some of the best solos or guitar pieces.  So we are just wondering what everyone’s might be? 

Bonus out of asking everyone is I am planning to buy a couple of pieces of sheet music for Christmas for her.  Might find one on here we haven’t thought of. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere

6 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Any Paul McCartney bass line.  He was a melodist who played the bass and sometimes the bass line is the best part of the song.

Paul Simon, Jim Croce have beautiful guitar riffs and accompaniments that are accessible to relatively new guitarists.  They are not necessarily "solos" but they are beautiful accompaniments. 

Clapton (duh).  

Clapton is a favorite here along with Paul Simon and Paul McCartney ( huge Beatles fans here).   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

few songs off the top of my head

Beat it (Eddie Van Halen solo) By Micheal Jackson

sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 (Edge)

Hotel California by Eagles

November Rain, Sweet Child of Mine - Guns n Roses (slash)

Layla - Eric Clapton 

Jeff Beck, Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Brian May (Queen), BB King, Edge (U2), Slash (GNR) are some of the best guitarists not to forget Eddie Van Halen

Crossroads guitar fest

A couple of years ago, we had the chance to see Slash play with Guns and Roses.  He was just as good as when he was younger.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Thing is, you want to find riffs she can play sooner than later.  Lots of red hot guitarists—but for someone starting out...find some nice riffs that are do-able. 

Thanks.  That is really would I would like right now and buy the good artist stuff for Christmas. These music lessons are really helping her right now with confidence and anxiety.  Finding her something she could play soon would do her a lot of good.

• Like 1

Metallica.  Anything Metallica, sounds so good whether electric or acoustic, though personally I love it as acoustic. 

House of the Rising Sun has a really nice finger pattern in it. I love when dh plays that. That might not be the best for a beginner, though.

Lynard Skynard, Eric Clapton. Man of Constant Sorrow. 

Dh was, moments ago, working to learn Unchained Melody, though that probably wouldn’t be a big hit with a modern teen. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Quill said:

Metallica.  Anything Metallica, sounds so good whether electric or acoustic, though personally I love it as acoustic. 

House of the Rising Sun has a really nice finger pattern in it. I love when dh plays that. That might not be the best for a beginner, though.

Lynard Skynard, Eric Clapton. Man of Constant Sorrow. 

Dh was, moments ago, working to learn Unchained Melody, though that probably wouldn’t be a big hit with a modern teen. 

She likes Unchained Melody and would be impressed with your DH learning it. She is likes all music and mire into the older stuff than what is current. 

House of the rising sun is good. It does have an interesting pattern. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

A couple of years ago, we had the chance to see Slash play with Guns and Roses.  He was just as good as when he was younger.  

Slash bought a house a (long) block from my home. 

I had a super-long list of suggestions typed up and I lost the entire post. Drat!

Bill 

• Like 2

Avoid Stairway to Heaven. Overdone. 🤣

My preference for amazing guitar playing is classical and flamenco. Talk about all 10 fingers working non-stop to create something amazing. Makes electric guitar sound like a loud baby. Sorry. There's no going back when you've discovered how fast fingers can really move.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

😭 Those are tears of envy. 😀

Don't be too green, I have not seen Slash. Just his house.

And I miss the beautiful old home that was torn down to build the character-less white faux-Cape Cod thing that went up in its place. *Sob*

The old house was owned by one of the Andrews Sisters. It had real charm.

Aretha Franklin used to live right across the street from the new Slash house in a very nice (huge) home and across the other street (corner lot) is the old John Wayne estate (that now has one of the biggest houses anyone has ever seen). Like a personal hotel. 

Bill 

23 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Well, no one accused Slash of being tasteful in architecture. You need to live near Brad Pitt for that since he is an architecture expert ?? Didn't the Edge also get in some legal trouble for building some huge, ugly mansion ? 

My education in American Music is sorely lacking, so pardon. The only Andrews I know is Julie who sings rather decently from the Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. Did not know if she had sisters who sang.

Now Aretha and John Wayne I know. 

Julie Andrews wasn't one of the Andrews Sisters. And don't feel bad about not knowing who there were, one would need to be..er, uh..of a certain vintage. LOL. But in the 1940's the Andrews Sisters were quite famous. Here are two three selections (sorry no guitar solos):

Edited by Spy Car

DH has been on a Dire Straits kick (for the entire Covid-at-home experience) - Sultan's of Swing has some fun guitar stuff.  Money for Nothing is another sweet recognizable (and repeating) electric guitar part(s).

I prefer AC/DC but dh is not into it.

He's also a Joe Satriani Fan - I only recognize the Top Gun theme song.

As a suzuki violin teacher, after hearing daily concerts and practice sessions for the last 6 months, I'm pretty sure I could almost pick up the guitar and play Sultan's of Swing...

eta video link: Sultans of Swing

Edited by WendyLady
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WendyLady said:

DH has been on a Dire Straits kick (for the entire Covid-at-home experience) - Sultan's of Swing has some fun guitar stuff.  Money for Nothing is another sweet recognizable (and repeating) electric guitar part(s).

I prefer AC/DC but dh is not into it.

He's also a Joe Satriani Fan - I only recognize the Top Gun theme song.

As a suzuki violin teacher, after hearing daily concerts and practice sessions for the last 6 months, I'm pretty sure I could almost pick up the guitar and play Sultan's of Swing...

😆.  I felt exactly that way about Mary had a little lamb when she was learning the Kalimba.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Clapton is a favorite here along with Paul Simon and Paul McCartney ( huge Beatles fans here).   

Then we can assume familiarity with Clapton's duo with Duane Allman on the original Layla (Derek and the Dominos) and Clapton's guest appearance on the Beatles (George Harrison track) While my Guitar Gently Weeps and Harrison's own beautiful guitar work on Something?

How old is your daughter?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

Just now, Spy Car said:

Then we can assume familiarity with Clapton's duo with Duane Allman on the original Layla (Derek and the Dominos and Clapton's guest appearance on the Beatles (George Harrison track) While my Guitar Gently Weeps and Harrison's own beautiful guitar work on Something?

How old is your daughter?

Bill

2 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

OK, on the edge for some of my picks, but has she heard this dual guitar lead from Lou Reed's live remake of his own Sweet Jane (originally recorded with the Velvet Underground)? Should be more widely known. Really good.

Bill

• Like 2

For the opposite of "shredding" guitar work listen to what Jerry Garcia does in this live Stella Blur from Boston 1973 (around 7:50). Bob Weir in left channel on rhythm  guitar and Jerry Garcia on lead in the right channel. So sweet.

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

No real "solo" in this one, but Mrs Spy Car's favorite song (emotional pick for me too). Listen to the beautiful guitar interplay between Mick Taylor playing acoustic (using "Nashville tuning"--one octave above normal tuning)--and Keith Richards on electric, playing Wild Horses

Bill

• Like 1

Who wants to hear a song called Maggot Brain? Not I. And the album cover? Polarizing. And Parental Warning there is an expletive can can be skipped by moving the playhead to :30 with no lost of music. And the back story, Funakdelic leader George Clinton telling guitarist Eddie Hazel to play "as if his mother is dead" while they are all under the influence of a certain psychedelic substance may (or may not appeal). But dang! This is a GUITAR SOLO!!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

And Melissa! (from Eat a Peach) 

It was on my list last night (that I lost). Greg Allman played this at his brother Duane's funeral and then recorded the track with the Allman Brothers on Eat a Peach. A beautiful song.

Bill

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I got curious and ran a search with this string:  https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=best+guitar+riffs+to+learn&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 and a lot of interesting options came up, like "for beginners" or "to learn" or "that sound hot but are not really that hard".

:0)

Thanks.  

We found this today- if anyone is interested, fender is offering 3 months free of lessons online.