Menu

Is pneumonia contagious?

math teacher

The bacteria or virus they have is contagious.  The pneumonia itself is a complication of being sick with whatever. 

So my DH brought home some bacteria in the spring he was sick but fine, one kid got very sick and need antibiotics the other kid devoleped pneumonia and needed hospitalized. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It can be https://www.healthline.com/health/is-pneumonia-contagious

“Pneumonia is a lung infection caused by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Some of these germs do spread from person to person, so you may be contagious if you have certain types of pneumonia. However, not everyone will develop pneumonia when exposed to the same germs.

There are many viruses that can cause pneumonia, and viruses can pass from person to person easily. For example, the influenza virus can survive on surfaces, making it even more contagious.

Bacterial pneumonia can spread from person to person as well.

Fungal pneumonia passes from the environment to a person, but it’s not contagious from person to person.”

Usually, when we're not in the middle of a deadly pandemic, no.

Typically when people on hospice have pneumonia they are infected with common bacteria we all carry, but because of their health condition their immune system cannot control it.  Or more accurately, they have a common bacteria in the wrong place.

• Like 1

I'm going to say not necessarily- pneumonia is an infection in the lung- which can have any number of causes.  Some of those are contagious,  others aren't.  A few years ago a friend had a fungus in his lungs- not contagious to anyone.  My grandma often gets pneumonia from things that wouldn't even make another person sick- allergies, virus of any sort all settle in her lungs.  I have been around both while sick and would do do again.  I would try to ask hospice if what she has is contagious,  but its very possible its just her bodys reaction to something that wouldn't make most others sick.  Even normal bacteria in your lungs can overgrow and cause pneumonia (think of it like a yeast infection).

When my daughter was in second grade, her best friend had pneumonia. Soon thereafter, my daughter became sick. The doctor said that pneumonia was not contagious. Ten days later and still sick, my daughter had a chest x-ray which showed that she had pneumonia. Then my husband had pneumonia. I luckily remained well throughout.

4 hours ago, math teacher said:

Is pneumonia contagious? ... dh and I were talking about it and wondered ... 

I say yes.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1