Menu

Political and BLM signs burned in our yard last night--UPDATE in 1st post

Acadie

We've lived here for 18 years and have always put up political signs. Nothing has ever been stolen or defaced, much less burned. Other neighbors had political signs stolen last night too, but none were burned. I'm wondering if our BLM sign was the target. 

Police report filed, only one neighbor has a security cam and it didn't capture anything. I'm going to call the fire marshal too because the signs were burned 8 or 9 feet from our house, near dry leaves that could have caught fire.

On the plus side, many people have reached out with care and concern, offers for free new signs, updates on what's happening in other neighborhoods around the city, and to connect us with a community group gathering information on political and BLM sign crimes to make sure burned BLM signs are treated as hate crimes. 

Our signs are going back up. My heart is only more resolute, and more connected with people of good will keeping our families and communities together. 

UPDATE: Police said 10 residents in my area reported stolen political signs the same night (nothing else burned though). Then last night they caught two people stealing signs on the other side of town, so they came back this morning to take more pictures of our yard and a detective is supposed to call. Not certain it's all connected but I do feel safer. We had new political signs up last night with no issues. BLM sign on the way.

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 58

Gosh, I am sorry! That would frighten me for sure. If I could, I would get Ring or something like that to possibly help with surveillance. (I don’t think we can actually get Ring here because of lack of always-available broadband internet. But if you can, I would consider it for sure.) 

• Like 3

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry.  That’s frightening!  You must feel so violated.  

And burning feels like a more ominous message than stealing the signs.  😨

I’m happy to hear your signs will go back up!  

Can you get a security camera?

FWIW, we have basic Nest outdoor cameras.  We keep meaning to replace the one in the front with the higher resolution model, so that we can see details, should they be needed.  The ones we have would not read a license plate, or see details of a face. So, if you are putting them up to deter crimes in your yard, you might consider springing for the higher resolution camera from the start.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Quill said:

Gosh, I am sorry! That would frighten me for sure. If I could, I would get Ring or something like that to possibly help with surveillance. (I don’t think we can actually get Ring here because of lack of always-available broadband internet. But if you can, I would consider it for sure.) 

28 minutes ago, Spryte said:

FWIW, we have basic Nest outdoor cameras.  We keep meaning to replace the one in the front with the higher resolution model, so that we can see details, should they be needed.  The ones we have would not read a license plate, or see details of a face. So, if you are putting them up to deter crimes in your yard, you might consider springing for the higher resolution camera from the start.

25 minutes ago, hippiemamato3 said:

I second the Nest cameras, and I'm so sorry this happened to you!

Thank you for suggestions on security cameras--this will help as we look into options.

• Like 1

That is terrifying.  The haters have always been there but are now emboldened.  A car/truck parade "rally" in support of Trump happened last weekend.  It weaved through severals small communities, including mine.  The video footage that people have been posting has shown the flying of confederate flags, monkeys hanging from nooses, and passengers screaming, "Go away N-words" out the windows.  Until recently, this would have completely shocked me.  That next morning there were numerous reports of stolen and burned Biden and BLM signs.  I have friends who are afraid to replace their signs.

• Sad 29

3 minutes ago, skimomma said:

That is terrifying.  The haters have always been there but are now emboldened.  A car/truck parade "rally" in support of Trump happened last weekend.  It weaved through severals small communities, including mine.  The video footage that people have been posting has shown the flying of confederate flags, monkeys hanging from nooses, and passengers screaming, "Go away N-words" out the windows.  Until recently, this would have completely shocked me.  That next morning there were numerous reports of stolen and burned Biden and BLM signs.  I have friends who are afraid to replace their signs.

That is devastating. That we could have this happening right now hurts my heart. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, NewIma said:

Acadie and skimomma, you don't love near each other do you? BLM signs being burned if multiple locations is even scarier, if that is even possible.

I am guessing we do not.  But in my local case the signs were stolen and then burned in a pile in a public area.  Not in people's yards. While certainly no good, not nearly as scary as in Acadie's situation.

• Sad 4

11 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I'm embarrassed to admit that we're afraid to put signs in our yard.  

Me too. I refused to let DH put signs in our yard because we have teen girls who are always outside in our neighborhood. I didn't want to put them in a scary, dangerous situation. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

We used to live in Texas and are now in NY. I’m currently very glad we’re no longer in Texas. (We were in Austin, but still.)

1 minute ago, kand said:

I agree it’s all bad and dangerous and wrong, but the burning of the BLM sign is particularly scary and sinister. It would be like if someone had a religious symbol of some kind displayed in their yard somewhere and someone lit it on fire. It feels personally threatening, rather than just political. 

I’m sure it goes with the current line about ALL BLM protesters being violent. Of course, people tell stories like this before they engage in religious prosecution, too.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm so sorry! I posted on facebook about MAYBE getting one of those flags that says "in this house....black lives matter, science is real, no human is illegal...etc etc" and had a drunken neighbor start ranting at me, posting crazy stuff. So..yeah, not actually putting political signs up. But my husband did put this up - maybe it will make you smile 🙂

luke the dog sign.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Your goose needs a fall outfit.  Or maybe giant sticker that says "I voted" lol

Oh! Or dressed as Uncle Sam! With a  little hat and beard! 

The giraffe in my parent's neighborhood is wearing a mask, which is another option.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, skimomma said:

The video footage that people have been posting has shown the flying of confederate flags, monkeys hanging from nooses, and passengers screaming, "Go away N-words" out the windows.  Until recently, this would have completely shocked me.  That next morning there were numerous reports of stolen and burned Biden and BLM signs.  I have friends who are afraid to replace their signs.

2 hours ago, kand said:

I agree it’s all bad and dangerous and wrong, but the burning of the BLM sign is particularly scary and sinister. It would be like if someone had a religious symbol of some kind displayed in their yard somewhere and someone lit it on fire. It feels personally threatening, rather than just political. 

Agreed, politics is signs and slogans and ad campaigns and rallies.

But burning BLM signs and what skimomma describes above fall under the category of racial terror, which is a different beast. I first heard that term from a writer friend from Mississippi a few years ago, and I remember how much it struck me. No lack of examples in 2020, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Your goose needs a fall outfit.  Or maybe giant sticker that says "I voted" lol

I have one - need to dig it out - I think it's a scarecrow. I forget, lol. 

4 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

Oh! Or dressed as Uncle Sam! With a  little hat and beard! 

The giraffe in my parent's neighborhood is wearing a mask, which is another option.

I have a patriotic one - and he was wearing a mask before we took off the summer outfit 🙂

Same here, though not nearly so dangerous. We have a sign with a Martin Luther King quote out in the yard. It was targeted by paint ball guns one night. We let the rain wash it down and it is still out there. We are committed to keeping a sign up no matter what.

I'm sorry this happened to you. It's unnerving and sickening.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

Yes, it's a BLM sign that was set fire.  But does my response of 'setting fire to things is wrong' and 'fire is scary as hell' really need to be about politics?  Is it not ok to sympathize with the OP and condemn arsonists, without getting into the political side of it?

OP.......I am glad your house didn't burn down.  I am sorry that saying so had to become political.  

The thing is, this is not likely about arson for the sake of fire. It's about racism. That's what makes it extra scary. Racism is a human condition that affects all areas of life, including but definitely not limited to politics. It is possible to reflect on the ugliness of racism without discussing politics. The racism raises a definite concern for continued and escalating vandalism and violence. And the ugly feelings that cause such behavior are sickening. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 10

I think this discussion of BLM makes it clear that the personal is political 😉. I actually don't think there's a clear line between "politics" and "not politics." For some people, BLM is a political movement. For others, it's merely a statement of a value. It's not like either side is right... just different perspectives on the same issue. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think this discussion of BLM makes it clear that the personal is political 😉. I actually don't think there's a clear line between "politics" and "not politics." For some people, BLM is a political movement. For others, it's merely a statement of a value. It's not like either side is right... just different perspectives on the same issue. 

For me personally, I love the statement Black lives matter, because they absolutely do. That statement recognizes the value and worth of a people group who have been and are being marginalized and abused. But I think it's important to point out that while racism can and does affect politics, racism goes far beyond politics. It touches every part of our lives as Americans, though that is very, very hard for white folks to understand. It's a political discussion if I bring up policy. Otherwise, it's a discussion about the condition of fellow human beings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

Just now, Harriet Vane said:

For me personally, I love the statement Black lives matter, because they absolutely do. That statement recognizes the value and worth of a people group who have been and are being marginalized and abused. But I think it's important to point out that while racism can and does affect politics, racism goes far beyond politics. It touches every part of our lives as Americans, though that is very, very hard for white folks to understand. It's a political discussion if I bring up policy. Otherwise, it's a discussion about the condition of fellow human beings.

But it's a little murky when it becomes the name of a movement that does get involved in politics... as well it should, since its goals are more aligned with one side than the other. 

I don't in any way disagree with you, but I also don't think it's an apolitical thing to talk about. It's just that politics covers a lot of ground. 

• Like 1