Menu

Election Day Party

NewIma

Ok, so I'm expecting election day to be one of the most stressful days of my life. My kids are also on edge and dh is working as a poll worker for the first time and will be gone from 4am to 10pm. I probably will be voting early in person so I won't even have that to do! So, I am think of having an election day party to break up the tension. If you were going to have a election/democracy themed party what would you do? It will probably be myself and my two kiddos, but maybe a quarantine buddy will join us. If we hadn't just watched it, we might have watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

• Like 4

I looked to see if Landslide still exists and many board games came up such as this:

Election Night! Board Game - Winner of 2019 Parents Choice Gold Award. A Super Fun Way to Learn Essential Math, Geography and Civics While Strategizing Your Way to The White House. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NDRRP33/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tuEFFb4AZTMEV

Other than the Parents Choice award to suggest it is well done I have no knowledge of it pro or con, but there seem to be a lot of a game would be fun for your party

You may need to go on a weeks-long bender if states that can't process mail-in ballots until election day are in play! 

Kidding aside, this is a lovely idea, to acknowledge and handle the anticipated stress by marking the occasion by celebrating democracy and the world you want to see. 

On election day, I might watch part of the inauguration of the last president I was excited to see sworn in. 

• Like 5

How old are your kids?

Dave is probably my favorite movie about the presidency. 

Maybe two pinatas?  One for republicans and one for democrats.  You get one big hit on the pinata every time a state is called.

I'm sure there are a ton of food and decoration ideas on pinterest.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Pen said:

I looked to see if Landslide still exists and many board games came up such as this:

Election Night! Board Game - Winner of 2019 Parents Choice Gold Award. A Super Fun Way to Learn Essential Math, Geography and Civics While Strategizing Your Way to The White House. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NDRRP33/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tuEFFb4AZTMEV

Other than the Parents Choice award to suggest it is well done I have no knowledge of it pro or con, but there seem to be a lot of a game would be fun for your party

Popcorn will be essential! Lol I will check out the game! Thanks!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Acadie said:

You may need to go on a weeks-long bender if states that can't process mail-in ballots until election day are in play! 

Kidding aside, this is a lovely idea, to acknowledge and handle the anticipated stress by marking the occasion by celebrating democracy and the world you want to see. 

On election day, I might watch part of the inauguration of the last president I was excited to see sworn in. 

Acadia, don't even joke about that. Lol I honestly don't know how I will survive the waiting. Oh my...

I love the idea of watching an inauguration! 

18 minutes ago, Junie said:

How old are your kids?

Maybe two pinatas?  One for republicans and one for democrats.  You get one big hit on the pinata every time a state is called.

They are almost 10 and almost 14! I've heard Dave is funny! I will check it out! 

The pinata idea is a hoot, but I don't know if I can pull off that much levity! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewIma said:

They are almost 10 and almost 14! I've heard Dave is funny! I will check it out! 

Maybe a pinata, not for levity but for rage?  (That said, I do think it's our duty for democracy to point out all the time, to everyone, that we cannot expect to know election results for days or weeks.)

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Something I don't really understand:  My dh and I recently voted by mail in our state.  They needed to be postmarked by election day (so ours of course were very early), but will be accepted through November 10.  (Assuming mail might take awhile.)   So that means that probably a lot of ballots mailed on election day won't actually be received until later.  It seems strange that they aren't required to have an earlier postmark deadline. 

1 minute ago, J-rap said:

Something I don't really understand:  My dh and I recently voted by mail in our state.  They needed to be postmarked by election day (so ours of course were very early), but will be accepted through November 10.  (Assuming mail might take awhile.)   So that means that probably a lot of ballots mailed on election day won't actually be received until later.  It seems strange that they aren't required to have an earlier postmark deadline. 

That would mean moving Election Day *up* which would be a harm on voting access. So voting access over us knowing immediately makes complete sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewIma said:

Ok, so I'm expecting election day to be one of the most stressful days of my life. My kids are also on edge and dh is working as a poll worker for the first time and will be gone from 4am to 10pm. I probably will be voting early in person so I won't even have that to do! So, I am think of having an election day party to break up the tension. If you were going to have a election/democracy themed party what would you do? It will probably be myself and my two kiddos, but maybe a quarantine buddy will join us. If we hadn't just watched it, we might have watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

I would get some Lincoln-esque top hats, blueberries, strawberries and cream, bunting to drape around, as well as all-American foods...maybe grill.

• Like 2

We were supposed to have an election day party in 2016. We had one many other years, even off election years. Dh loves election days.

Thank goodness Mushroom got a stomach virus and started throwing up and we had to cancel. I don't think I've ever had a day that I would want a party or even an intimate get together less than that night. Holy cow.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Maybe a pinata, not for levity but for rage?  (That said, I do think it's our duty for democracy to point out all the time, to everyone, that we cannot expect to know election results for days or weeks.)

I could do a pinata for rage for sure!

42 minutes ago, Farrar said:

We were supposed to have an election day party in 2016. We had one many other years, even off election years. Dh loves election days.

Thank goodness Mushroom got a stomach virus and started throwing up and we had to cancel. I don't think I've ever had a day that I would want a party or even an intimate get together less than that night. Holy cow.

I know. Election night 2016 was one of the absolute worst nights of my life-on par with the death of loved ones. The problem is that my kids are old enough to be aware this time, but not old enough to handle me unraveling. I feel like making plans for election day will help me be a better mom that day. The next day might be a mom doesn't get out of bed and you watch documentaries day but I'm trying to plan ahead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewIma said:

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

I suggested the pinatas because I thought you might feel like throwing or hitting something.  😉  And, especially if your kids were little, a pinata would be more acceptable than throwing the tv remote across the room or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NewIma said:

Acadia, don't even joke about that. Lol I honestly don't know how I will survive the waiting. Oh my...

I love the idea of watching an inauguration! 

Actually I just read that with Biden doing better in the polls, the results we may have to wait for are Senate seats. But after 2016 I'm not at all complacent.

10 hours ago, Junie said:

How old are your kids?

After this year, I might be tempted to just take out my frustrations on both those pinatas and smash them to smithereens. LOL  

Then the kids would be like. "Moooommm". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the kids color an electoral predictor map, then have them tally up their choices and who they’ve predicted to win. Then we color the “official” one and see who called each state properly as the results come in. It’s always fun.  One of my kids is eerily accurate.   

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Junie said:

I suggested the pinatas because I thought you might feel like throwing or hitting something.  😉  And, especially if your kids were little, a pinata would be more acceptable than throwing the tv remote across the room or whatever.

Truth LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cnew02 said:

I have the kids color an electoral predictor map, then have them tally up their choices and who they’ve predicted to win. Then we color the “official” one and see who called each state properly as the results come in. It’s always fun.  One of my kids is eerily accurate.   

Oh! Great idea!!