Menu

Cool out-of-the box way to learn a new language!!

I listen to Tim Ferris's podcast (that goes into a million topics), but his way of learning a new language is amazing.

Long story, short: he did a year with a family in Japan when he was about 15. He floundered. Finally he found a poster that had like 500 of the top words used in Japan. He studied that like a wild man -- just the top words -- and learned to speak Japanese from doing that. After he went to Japanese high school, got great grades, and is still in touch w/ the family today.

I love this idea so much: He also learns new languages -- so that according to him he won't be lonely in foreign lands -- by reading Dilbert books written in other languages. Instead of Dilbert I'd love to do this with Calvin & Hobbes.

Wish I'd stuck with this idea: When my boys now 17 were 7 or 8 I got the idea to show them their favorite movies in Spanish. We watched Cars in Spanish and it was so fast for me that I gave up on the idea. I think if you have kids, I think they'd take right to the movies in foreign languages.

They love their movies so much that they'll put two and two together quicker than an adult would (just because they're so spongy and learn so quickly.)

Just wanted to share!! ♥

W.

• Like 2

I like the idea, too, Alicia. Our first year of homeschooling was when my daughter was in seventh grade. For copywork, I had her use the Spanish translation of Harry Potter as she was a big fan of the series. We also had Spanish editions of Calvin and Hobbes plus Garfield in the house.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1