Menu

Where on earth to start - WWE & FLL

priodfab

Hi all, I have two boys, aged 10 and 11, who are way behind where they should be. Really unsure of where to start them with Writing with Ease and First Language Lessons, I'm new to the curriculum so don't know if they should start at the beginning and whizz through to make sure there are no gaps? That's what I'm leaning towards rather than trying to place them part way through the series. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you. 

I’ve used the first three levels of both programs, and I definitely don’t think you need to start from the very beginning.  You can find the mastery evaluations for each level of WWE here:

http://downloads.peacehillpress.com/pdfs/samples/wwe/wweevaluations.pdf

Each evaluation gives you an idea for what type of work is expected of the student at the end of that level; if the kid does well, move on to the next one, etc.  This should give you a good feel for where to put them.  

In terms of FLL, I’ll just say I put my ds9 (with no formal grammar experience) right into FLL 3 last year, and it was totally fine.  The pacing is a bit faster than that of other levels, but it starts from the beginning with nouns 🙂

• Like 1

I also wanted to add that in FLL 3, a student workbook is introduced to go along with the regular text.  This helps give a visual component as the kid follows along and then applies what they’re learning in the written exercises (no colorful pictures though).

Edited by maptime