Menu

I normally have the prettiest gold light upstairs this week, from the aspen out front. We had one day of gold leaves and then, poof, they turned black from the drought. Bummer. I always look forward to the gold. Plus, I was supposed to be in VT this past weekend, for Parents' Weekend. Of course, that didn't happen, so n amazing reds.

How are the leaves where you are?

• Sad 3

We had spectacular colours this year. Seemed to be a lot more shades of red than normal. We also kept our leaves on the trees longer as we had no big wind storms. We still have a lot of leaves on the trees, though more and more are falling. I'm in Canada, so fall is generally earlier than most parts of the US.

Sorry you missed the red leaves from maples, etc. this fall. Do you have sumac in CO? Those leaves are usually bright red. I love them, but love the maples best. 😉

The leaves are just starting to turn here in the midwest and I think it's going to be the best fall colors we've had in years - many brilliant shades of orange, red, and gold so far. The peak should be in another week or two.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wintermom said:

We had spectacular colours this year. Seemed to be a lot more shades of red than normal. We also kept our leaves on the trees longer as we had no big wind storms. We still have a lot of leaves on the trees, though more and more are falling. I'm in Canada, so fall is generally earlier than most parts of the US.

Sorry you missed the red leaves from maples, etc. this fall. Do you have sumac in CO? Those leaves are usually bright red. I love them, but love the maples best. 😉

No sumac here in the mountains. We have oak brush, but it's not the same intense red. Sometimes groves of aspen will be a neon orange, but not the ones in the front of the house. There is speculation that the orange indicates molybdenum in the soil. 

Edited by Margaret in CO
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Margaret in CO said:

I normally have the prettiest gold light upstairs this week, from the aspen out front. We had one day of gold leaves and then, poof, they turned black from the drought. Bummer. I always look forward to the gold. Plus, I was supposed to be in VT this past weekend, for Parents' Weekend. Of course, that didn't happen, so n amazing reds.

I had to head back to Florida early from New Hampshire and was bummed to miss the change.

Everything is still pretty much still green here.  Our trip last week through the mountain passes saw some pretty fall colors though.

My roses are all putting on new growth and the tomatoes are still green.  I am really hoping for more fall colors soon.

• Like 1

Across the water there's a whole stand of some sort of trees, maybe cottonwood.  They turned yellow then dropped their leaves in 24 hours.  No red at all.  It was so disappointing.

3 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

If it makes you feel better, we had a big rainstorm come through last week which blew down many of the leaves and the foliage wasn't looking as pretty as it normally does for the first weekend in Oct.  

• Like 1

Reds and golds are coming.  Picture is from a hike 2 hours north of me.  Surprised they didn't have more color but still beautiful.  Seeing more red than last year....and I love red 

received_457306018554496.jpeg

Turning a little earlier turning than usual, probably because it's been dry here too. The colors are really nice, but one of our trees that usually turns all the way before dropping leaves is dropping them as they turn.

My parents live in a different area, but their county is a tourist area and heavily forested with a lot of deciduous trees. I see a lot of pics on FB from my hometown, which is having historic drought. The colors are stunning in comparison to typical years. I think things are peaking a little early, but not by tons. 

I walked all over campus today, in the hunt for something besides plain yellow. I found some stunning red outside the fieldhouse, and some nice red  black hawthorn by the dorms. It will have to do for the kids to collect tomorrow.