Menu

What do you think about Mr. D. Math? Rigorous enough?

Has anyone's child used Mr. D. Math? I'd love to hear your thoughts and pros and cons. Also wondering if it's appropriate/rigorous enough for a kid who excels in math and wants to be an engineer. Thinking about trying it for my son who is getting ready to begin Pre-Algebra. I know I'm going to need help teaching math from here on out. Thank you!

For a kid who excels, I’d go with something else. I have my solidly average math students in it and I hope it picks up in difficulty. One DD is in Algebra 2 and says it feels like Algebra 0.

She did AOPS Geometry last year and wanted something that took less time. 

On 10/5/2020 at 12:33 PM, Not_a_Number said:

Lol. What does "Algebra 0" feel like? Now I'm curious. 

PreAlgebra or 5th grade math? She's super bored but I'm hoping it's just that he's doing a quick review. It's self paced and she started a little late so she's only starting chapter 2. She also gets mad at the multiple choice quizzes because the wording can be open for interpretation and she gets things wrong for misreading and not for not knowing how to do it. One question was like what equations do you need to do to find an answer. She selected she needed to do equation A and equation B, but the answer was equation A OR equation B because they were talking about graphs of inequalities with open and closed circles. It was confusing because she thought he was asking practically- what do you do, and you must do both to find the numbers to chart. I guess he wanted how do you represent the inequality, but I thought it was a poorly worded problem. There's always something weird like that and when you have 5 questions, missing 1 or 2 is significant to your grade.

34 minutes ago, Paige said:

PreAlgebra or 5th grade math? She's super bored but I'm hoping it's just that he's doing a quick review. It's self paced and she started a little late so she's only starting chapter 2. She also gets mad at the multiple choice quizzes because the wording can be open for interpretation and she gets things wrong for misreading and not for not knowing how to do it. One question was like what equations do you need to do to find an answer. She selected she needed to do equation A and equation B, but the answer was equation A OR equation B because they were talking about graphs of inequalities with open and closed circles. It was confusing because she thought he was asking practically- what do you do, and you must do both to find the numbers to chart. I guess he wanted how do you represent the inequality, but I thought it was a poorly worded problem. There's always something weird like that and when you have 5 questions, missing 1 or 2 is significant to your grade.

Oh, hmmm. That sounds annoying. I hope the class speeds up!! 

My non math loving kid did it for geometry and Algebra 2 and Trig/preCalc. I don't know about engineers. We are into the humanities here, but it served her well.  My dd in particular was not a fan of math. It was her lowest score on her PSAT and ACT and at one point she wanted to get that score up to get closer to her scores in the other areas. She went back through Alg 2 in one month, redoing every quiz with intentionality and brought her ACT math score up 7 points. So I don't know if she wasn't trying her hardest to understand before, quite possible, or what. But she never used anything else besides KAHN academy occasionally.  So the material is there and it worked for us.  We will use it again. 

• Like 1