Menu

Dd's college going back to in-person classes on Monday

Chris in VA

My DS1 is a freshman and he told us over the weekend he wants to take a year off after this semester until this all blows over.  He is very unhappy with hybrid and online.  Calculus is his only class that meets in person and it is a half semester course and meets daily.  He loved it.  

We have discussed some options of what to do and maybe to restart next fall, so it would be less than a year.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Mbelle said:

My DS1 is a freshman and he told us over the weekend he wants to take a year off after this semester until this all blows over.  He is very unhappy with hybrid and online.  Calculus is his only class that meets in person and it is a half semester course and meets daily.  He loved it.  

We have discussed some options of what to do and maybe to restart next fall, so it would be less than a year.

Our neighbor's son was very disappointed that his school went all online, but the neighbor secretly confided that his grades are amazing and that he doubts his son would have worked near so hard has the school been in person. Another faculty member at a different school said she's seen an improvement in her students' work due to the lack of partying opportunities. So, while I understand the value of in-person classes (hey, my husband is a university professor so we're pretty bought-in), it isn't all bad. 

It is interesting to see what the grad students are doing. DH encouraged them not to move to the area, as there is nothing going on at the department, but they all moved to town and are having backyard get togethers.

Emily

My 2 DS's have been on campus since mid-August at Purdue and it's going well. The present infection rate is 4% and holding steady, I believe. They have a mix of online and in person classes and while it for sure isn't a "normal" semester, they've still had opportunities to socialize and meet people.

• Like 3