Menu

Good news thread

mommyoffive

I found a Wal-Mart only an hour away that had Fiesta Nacho Cheese soup on the shelves. And Flax Seed Oil capsules. And a big container of pomegranate-scented softsoap. All things I haven't been able to find in person or have shipped to me for a couple of months.

My eldest was happy with her math exam grade. My #2 finished her second college class with an A.

My family has their health. DH has a job. These are our blessings right now.

• Like 15

I just wondered out loud to dh if we should give Schitt's Creek a try. We are running out of shows.

We are going to our vacation home next week. I am so looking forward to just sitting there, watching the tide come and go and the fishing boats go by.

• Like 9

My family is heathy and happy.  Shall I make that bored but happy and I am grateful.

My husband was able to order Win Schuler’s Bar Cheese as part of our curb side. 😉

Tangerine La Croix is really good! 😉

• Like 13

One sheep who had some kind of illness a couple of months ago and we were worried about lambed successfully and seems to be caring for the lamb.

We’re getting rain and expecting a mild fire season.  

I saw a friends baby today for the first time and he was adorable.

• Like 16

My new hair clipper comb arrived (ordered from Germany; shipped from Denmark) and my hair now looks neater.  The students where I  work are incredibly grateful for everything we are trying to do for them. The sky is clearing after heavy rain. My old dog is healthy.  My husband and kids are doing well. I  have a job.

• Like 15

Ds has made it through 4 days of isolation and is managing well with COVID.

The rest of us are doing fine. (although a bit stressed with it all of course)

We will have lots of family time this week during quarantine. We had a bonfire outside last night. Ds joined us outside but stayed distant of course. It was good to at least see his face, it feels horrible to have him locked up in his room, once this is past he is getting so many hugs whether he wants them or not.

Quarantine will enable to save money in a month that was going to be tight.

Dh gets to do all his classes online while in quarantine (he has some labs he usually has to commute for). It will be a good chance for him to catch up on sleep, homework, downtime, and family time.

• Like 15

Some of you may remember that my niece came home from college due to a seizure that led to the discovery of a large mass in her brain. From the MRI the neurosurgeon believed it to be a cavernous malformation. She had surgery almost two weeks ago. It wasn't a cavernous malformation. It was a tumor, and he couldn't get it all. He said, "It is one of the most difficult tumors I have ever seen." The pathologist looked at it briefly and said, "Grade 2." Grade 2 is technically benign, but average life expectancy is 5-7 years. Not very benign. She had a second surgery the following day, with the neuro hoping to get at least 95% of the tumor without causing her to lose motor skills or the ability to make new memories. The second surgery was a complete success. It is a long story how she got her neurosurgeon, but it felt (and we believe) that God handpicked her surgeon for her. He got 100% of the tumor. He was able to preserve her memory making ability. Although she is having to relearn how to walk (and everything else involving her left side), she can move her toes. She should get all movement back. And, when pathology came back it downgraded it to a rare Grade 1, BENIGN tumor. And I was able to see my niece handle the whole situation with courage, faith (Not that she would necessarily be healed. One of my aunts and one of my cousins died from brain cancer. But that God would be with her and nothing would happen outside his will.), and peace. I was able to see how she planned to move forward with her life before the prognosis came back in her favor. It was amazing and beautiful. And we are all very happy.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I just wondered out loud to dh if we should give Schitt's Creek a try. We are running out of shows.

We are going to our vacation home next week. I am so looking forward to just sitting there, watching the tide come and go and the fishing boats go by.

Yes, watch Schitt's Creek. It took  a few episodes for me to get into it. Don't give up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meriwether said:

Some of you may remember that my niece came home from college due to a seizure that led to the discovery of a large mass in her brain. From the MRI the neurosurgeon believed it to be a cavernous malformation. She had surgery almost two weeks ago. It wasn't a cavernous malformation. It was a tumor, and he couldn't get it all. He said, "It is one of the most difficult tumors I have ever seen." The pathologist looked at it briefly and said, "Grade 2." Grade 2 is technically benign, but average life expectancy is 5-7 years. Not very benign. She had a second surgery the following day, with the neuro hoping to get at least 95% of the tumor without causing her to lose motor skills or the ability to make new memories. The second surgery was a complete success. It is a long story how she got her neurosurgeon, but it felt (and we believe) that God handpicked her surgeon for her. He got 100% of the tumor. He was able to preserve her memory making ability. Although she is having to relearn how to walk (and everything else involving her left side), she can move her toes. She should get all movement back. And, when pathology came back it downgraded it to a rare Grade 1, BENIGN tumor. And I was able to see my niece handle the whole situation with courage, faith (Not that she would necessarily be healed. One of my aunts and one of my cousins died from brain cancer. But that God would be with her and nothing would happen outside his will.), and peace. I was able to see how she planned to move forward with her life before the prognosis came back in her favor. It was amazing and beautiful. And we are all very happy.

Wow.  So happy for your family. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

Today my son received his First Communion. It was the first time in a church since March, and maybe the 4th time out of the house total for my kids since then, and they really enjoyed it. 

Oh, how blessed!

My last baby is prepping for his FHC this year. Sacrament prep is...underwhelming thus far. (It’s on Zoom. Bless the director; it’s not easy, I’m sure.) I’ve brought our old Balt Cat back out to supplement. 

• Like 4

My daughter is having a great start in High school.  Less than half chose face to face vs virtual.  Most of her friends chose face to face also.  She is liking all her classes especially ROTC.   

My boys are all healthy and working.  Navy kid is happy that he can explore Japan a little before heading back to his home base in Washington state.

• Like 6

Good news amongst all the crap. DH broke his leg and is out of work. My parents surprise us with groceries and have twice with cash. They listen. They support. They are passing on much needed health care items.

Speaking of health care items - there was no way we could buy a wheelchair. We've been using one that belonged to my grandmother but it has no foot or leg support. We've made do. The social worker was concerned that dh would be going home post surgery without a chair with extended leg support so she worked until she found one for $10/mo rental and had it delivered to the hospital. Her working so hard on that meant a lot to dh and I. We know it's her job but it still meant a lot.

DH's surgery was a huge success. Another person who really went out of his way for dh was one he has never even saw at the naval base. With me out of town, dh had no way to get to the base hospital and when they called to get him in to see a doctor, DH explained the circumstances and that doctor went out of his way to find a civilian doctor who specializes in the kind of surgery my dh needed and made the appointment for him. Then the civilian doctor also went out of his way to figure out the best way to fix dh's leg. Yep, that's his job but he was so concerned with getting it right that he kept dh's CT on his phone so he could study it any time. Even until the day before, he still didn't know the best way to fix his leg to insure a good quality of life post surgery. Thankfully, he managed to fix it in a way to help prevent post surgery arthritis. While arthritis is still on the table, the likelihood is much less. We are so pleased with his outcome.

Thanks for encouraging me to acknowledge these bits of good news. It's easy to overlook them amongst the chaos.

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Good news amongst all the crap. DH broke his leg and is out of work. My parents surprise us with groceries and have twice with cash. They listen. They support. They are passing on much needed health care items.

Speaking of health care items - there was no way we could buy a wheelchair. We've been using one that belonged to my grandmother but it has no foot or leg support. We've made do. The social worker was concerned that dh would be going home post surgery without a chair with extended leg support so she worked until she found one for $10/mo rental and had it delivered to the hospital. Her working so hard on that meant a lot to dh and I. We know it's her job but it still meant a lot.

DH's surgery was a huge success. Another person who really went out of his way for dh was one he has never even saw at the naval base. With me out of town, dh had no way to get to the base hospital and when they called to get him in to see a doctor, DH explained the circumstances and that doctor went out of his way to find a civilian doctor who specializes in the kind of surgery my dh needed and made the appointment for him. Then the civilian doctor also went out of his way to figure out the best way to fix dh's leg. Yep, that's his job but he was so concerned with getting it right that he kept dh's CT on his phone so he could study it any time. Even until the day before, he still didn't know the best way to fix his leg to insure a good quality of life post surgery. Thankfully, he managed to fix it in a way to help prevent post surgery arthritis. While arthritis is still on the table, the likelihood is much less. We are so pleased with his outcome.

Thanks for encouraging me to acknowledge these bits of good news. It's easy to overlook them amongst the chaos.

Such great news about your dh's surgery.   Sending all the best healing vibes to him.

I love all the care and support that is surrounding your family.   

• Like 4

My oldest ds finally started a job he was offered a year ago as a senior in college but because of everything just now started. It is a good job with benefits and he is getting started with his 401K and HSA immediately. No one in my family has ever gone straight through school and been settled in a good job before getting tied up with marriage and babies...it is shocking to see my 22 yo actually doing things in an easier way than the rest of us ever chose 😂

My second ds has been struggling mightily trying to finish his degree and get graduated in December as planned. After his first round of tests he has As and Bs. Seriously shocked. He might make it. We will be holding our breath until the diploma is in hand but today it is good news.

My third ds got elected president of our state 4-H. He has been working towards this goal since middle school. They would have normally met over the summer and elected officers but because of Covid that was cancelled and they finally held a virtual election. It remains to be seen if he will actually get to do anything (in a normal year he would be traveling the state and beyond as the top student officer in 4-H and attending events and speaking and rubbing elbows with the important people). But even if he doesn't actually get to carry out official duties he is very happy to at least have been chosen by his peers and i'm sure he will preside over and attend some online events. 

Last week everyone seemed down but this past week was good. Life has been such a roller coaster lately. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, teachermom2834 said:

My oldest ds finally started a job he was offered a year ago as a senior in college but because of everything just now started. It is a good job with benefits and he is getting started with his 401K and HSA immediately. No one in my family has ever gone straight through school and been settled in a good job before getting tied up with marriage and babies...it is shocking to see my 22 yo actually doing things in an easier way than the rest of us ever chose 😂

My second ds has been struggling mightily trying to finish his degree and get graduated in December as planned. After his first round of tests he has As and Bs. Seriously shocked. He might make it. We will be holding our breath until the diploma is in hand but today it is good news.

My third ds got elected president of our state 4-H. He has been working towards this goal since middle school. They would have normally met over the summer and elected officers but because of Covid that was cancelled and they finally held a virtual election. It remains to be seen if he will actually get to do anything (in a normal year he would be traveling the state and beyond as the top student officer in 4-H and attending events and speaking and rubbing elbows with the important people). But even if he doesn't actually get to carry out official duties he is very happy to at least have been chosen by his peers and i'm sure he will preside over and attend some online events. 

Last week everyone seemed down but this past week was good. Life has been such a roller coaster lately. 

Awww.  You are raising such great men.  You must be so proud.   It is the best thing as a parent to see you kids do well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Awww.  You are raising such great men.  You must be so proud.   It is the best thing as a parent to see you kids do well.

Gosh that is sweet! Seeing these young folks through this pandemic has not been easy. They have all had setbacks. Probably easier on them because, while they do care about each other, at this point they are really just focused on themselves. But mama suffers all the disappointments for everyone! 

It was therapeutic to type out our good news. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Gosh that is sweet! Seeing these young folks through this pandemic has not been easy. They have all had setbacks. Probably easier on them because, while they do care about each other, at this point they are really just focused on themselves. But mama suffers all the disappointments for everyone! 

It was therapeutic to type out our good news. 🙂

Yep, this year has been so hard for teens and young adults.    I wish all the time during this that my kids were younger.   

• Like 2

My DH is teaching my two teens to drive -- and it's going beautifully (without my help; I'm a backseat driver). Yay for delegation!

And I'm on week 30 of writing my blog. A huge accomplishment b/c without an editor's deadline I've had a hard time sticking with a schedule.

Nice thread idea!

W.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Lovely weather here too. DH and I went in a nice walk this morning and I spent part of the afternoon putting up pumpkin purée on the freezer for pies, pumpkin bread, and pumpkin pancakes. There are roasted pumpkin seeds cooking on the counter now.

• Like 3

I had a bad news kind of day but the good parts were:

Gorgeous weather. The open window kind is my absolute favorite.

No line at the polling station. I have been dreaded voting. All the long line news was really putting me off and I kept procrastinating and nearly decided not to vote at all. Finally I got in the car, telling myself that if there is a long line I can just turn back around. Funny thing is I nearly didn't vote because there was no line and I was sure I was in the wrong place. Because I knew how I wanted to vote, I was in and out in 5 minutes. 🙌

Our cat is getting better by the day. I'm noticing other issues with him but this is a good news thread so I'm going to celebrate his fight and raised spirit. Last night was the first night that he came running when it was time to hand out the nightly treats. I was so thrilled to see my boy in his usual treat spot.

Today the medical equipment people came by to get the wheelchair. DH has graduated completely to his scooter.

Youngest son came by for no reason whatsoever. Just to hang out with the sick kitty and his old folks. He's such a sweet boy.

DIL sent pictures of our new grandson.

IMG_4600.jpeg

• Like 17

13 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

All my winter clothes fit!

Now that is good news! The Covid 15 is making my winter clothes fit snugger than I like and some of them unwearable. I refuse to buy more though so losing the weight is the only option I'm giving myself.

Good job! That is such a great feeling when something you haven't worn in a while slides right on. 🙌

• Like 4

Dd's TNR non-profit has been super overloaded with kitties since spring, but suddenly has had a run on them. Almost 10 of the kittens have applications in for them and most people have been flexible about choosing an alternate if their first choice is already taken. That's about half of the ones they have that aren't spoken for yet. So happy!! Plus, they were able to get more in for surgeries today than scheduled. Fingers crossed meet & greet on Sunday means 3-4 more adoptions!

• Like 5

We have great news:

• Our foster child may become ours soon
  • DH nor I have lost our jobs, nor have we lost any pay (we haven't gotten any raises either, but that's ok)
  • Our foster child doesn't get the daycare subsidy and a local preschool offered a 50% discount to us for 3 days per week!
  • Whoever wins the election, I still live in a great nation
  • We have our health
  • I (mostly) have my faculties and will continue pursuing my national boards for school counseling
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to hear everyone's good news.

Ok mine is small and it isn't news so much as just something I am loving right now.  I ordered a bunch of different tea flavors.  Normally I am just a green or black tea plain kind of girl.  Having all these new flavors that are delicious is amazing.  My big problem is which one I am going to drink each day.  So much joy for me especially now that it is cold.   

• Like 6

A friend called me this afternoon, just to say hi and check in.

Dd got her summer internship application and her piano competition video turned in.

Today has been sunny and dinner is already made. 

Ds has read (or reread) several good books in the last month or so. Going to school reduces his time for reading and I'm happy to see him still with his nose in a book quite often.

• Like 4

My dh got a new job. He’s been trying to make a step up for at least a year now and he seemed to keep getting down to the final round of candidates and then not landing the job. He finally got one to hit. It is a significant step up so hopefully he can quit the job search for awhile. It was getting old for sure. He will, however, still be working out of the corner of my living room for another six months at least. Fortunate he has the ability to work remotely during the pandemic.

I am ambivalent but my 17 yo ds was able to secure the new PlayStation 5. Apparently this was a big deal. I’m not a video game fan but he has been working and saving up for it. I am glad he got it so he can stop pursuing it and stalking the websites that were releasing it and selling out immediately.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

My dh got a new job. He’s been trying to make a step up for at least a year now and he seemed to keep getting down to the final round of candidates and then not landing the job. He finally got one to hit. It is a significant step up so hopefully he can quit the job search for awhile. It was getting old for sure. He will, however, still be working out of the corner of my living room for another six months at least. Fortunate he has the ability to work remotely during the pandemic.

I am ambivalent but my 17 yo ds was able to secure the new PlayStation 5. Apparently this was a big deal. I’m not a video game fan but he has been working and saving up for it. I am glad he got it so he can stop pursuing it and stalking the websites that were releasing it and selling out immediately.

Congrats to your dh!  That is great news.

Yay for your son.   We are not video game people, but I have heard that it is super hard to get.  

This is so shallow.   Costco is carrying the Hilary Radley pants again (in a different color) and they are, hands down, the most comfortable pants I've ever worn. Previously I had them in gray.  Now I have black.  I realize it's ridiculous, but I put them on this AM and it makes me happy, lol.

DD's middle school mock team is onto the state competition after ROCKING the regional competition! (State is via Zoom.)

ETA: Loved reading this thread - SO many happy things going on and I just really enjoyed reading them.  Thank you all for sharing!! ❤️ 

Edited by BlsdMama
  • Like 4