Menu

NatGeo Kids: worth it for 10yo child?

We got an ad for this recently and I mentioned I was considering subscribing to DH. He did his own research and subscribed us to Ranger Rick. He said it sounded like Ranger Rick had more in-depth content while Nat. Geo kids was more pretty pictures. One less thing for me to think about! I'm curious to hear any other opinions!

• Like 2

Yes. Absolutely worth it.

I am a big fan of National Geographic from the time I was a little older than the 10 year old child myself. One of the two libraries that influenced me tremendously and opened up my world in my country of origin was the library at the American consulate. Nat Geo books and Lonely Planet books were two of the books and magazines that showed me places and without being cliched, allowed me to dream. I never in a million years imagined I would ever travel, but when I did those places and cultures were not alien to me thanks to those two.

I have coffee table books I have collected ever since I came here and we are subscribers too. Lonely Planet closed down sadly, so Nat Geo is what we have now. I cannot emphasize how much I learned from it and my children do now

Edited by Dreamergal

We thought it was not worth it. Too thin and not enough meat to it. Maybe if you get the 5 dollar deal of the day on it, it would be worth that.  We do like the regular version but the kids one was boring to my kids. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere

really depends upon the child.  you know her best - ask her parents.  I can see some kids loving it, and others being bored to tears.

By age 10, my ds was reading some regular National Geographic articles. We read the kids magazine a few times in the library before that and I never wanted a subscription.