Menu

Early modern history encyclopedia for 5th grader

melbotoast

We are part way through SOTW3 and I think my 5th grader is ready for a little more depth. We are checking out library books but I'm looking at an encyclopedia that would go along with what we're doing as well. Since we're off the traditional four year cycle, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations? DD enjoys history but is a reluctant reader. Thanks!

Not very in-depth, but the Usborne History of the 20th Century hits the major events in 2-page spreads. Lots of illustrations, reading level is right about gr. 5-8.

More essay-driven with photos is the Life: Century in Pictures for Young People covers the 20th century in the U.S. (so, NOT World History). Listed for grades 5-8... I would put it more at gr. 6-9.

Also U.S. (NOT World) History: 20th Century American History for Kids. Focus is on 30 major events. At a grade 4-6 reading level.

oops... realizing you are in SOTW 3, not 4 (lol) -- so you're not up to 20th century yet. ::embarrassed:: 😳

We really enjoyed Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines (gr. 5-8) secular -- covers 1300 to 1650.

Maybe purchase some of the back issues of the Kids Discover magazines (gr. 4-7) on specific topics that match up in your time period? There are a number of titles on colonial/early U.S., but here are some World History titles:
- African Kingdoms
- Age of Exploration and Colonization
- Aztecs
- China's Empires
- Industrial Revolution
- Leonardo da Vinci
- Renaissance and Reformation
- Shakespeare

Maybe some of the Oxford University Press books (gr. 6-9) secular -- the last 3 titles in this set might fit your time line; 
The European World, 400-1450
The African and Middle Eastern World, 600-1500
An Age of Voyages, 1350-1600
An Age of Empires, 1200-1750
An Age of Science and Revolutions, 1600-1800

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Thank you, Lori! Your recommendations are always fantastic and now I'm prepared for next year too 🙂 

I will look through all the titles and see what she might like. I never thought of Kids Discover magazine! I liked reading those as a kid. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, melbotoast said:

Thank you, Lori! Your recommendations are always fantastic and now I'm prepared for next year too 🙂 

I will look through all the titles and see what she might like. I never thought of Kids Discover magazine! I liked reading those as a kid. 

Yea! Happy to help!

And magazines are great for reluctant readers -- illustrations and lots of short articles. Really pulls you along! Maybe space out the print magazines you get and slip one into the pile of mail every so often so she gets mail, too! 😉  Also -- there are free articles and additional info on new topics at the Kids Discover magazine website!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:23 PM, SilverMoon said:

It sounds like you're looking for more books like Lori's list than an actual encyclopedia. 👍 My 4th grader in SOTW 4 is using the Usborne Internet Linked World History Encyclopedia. The Kingfisher history encyclopedia recommended for logic stage in TWTM is a little more challenging to read, but the Usborne one would be fine for 5th too. Both of these go from ancients to modern, so his schedule only includes the UIL sections that align with SOTW 4. He reads a few pages a week in them and tells me some things he read. It adds more context and interesting details. (He's a good reader but a reluctant writer; his older siblings would have wrote a few facts from it in 4th-5th.) 

If you're interested in extra readers (book-books), the SOTW activity guide is loaded with recommendations too. 

Yeah, I guess I'm not really sure what I want. It is October and I am still figuring out curriculum 😋   I'd like to shift her more into note taking/outlining instead of just narration so trying to find something that would work better for that. We have been checking out books from the SOTW activity guide but our library doesn't always have something. The Usborne encyclopedia sounds like it might be a good fit for where DD is at, so thank you!

• Like 1