Jump to content

Menu

POTUS and FLOTUS have Covid-19


YaelAldrich
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Am I the only one for whom you guys aren't just "anonymous people on a message board?"   I mean, at this point, some of you are among people I've "known" longer than anyone else in my life.  I mean, you guys show up in my dreams.  And especially during covid, when I'm not seeing people in real life much, you guys are very much real to me.

No, no you are not alone! If I didn't have y'all to "talk" to there's no way I would have made it through the past seven months.

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, marbel said:

But conversation can't go very far when people shut it down by saying it's offensive. Now of course there is offensive speech! I just don't see having a "meh" response to one's own experience of a virus as comparable to... many other offensive things people say. 

Well, it's a more meaningful conversation if, when you're told you're offensive, you try to ponder why someone said that. Even if you don't wind up totally empathizing, that at least moves us forward in a way that saying "your feelings are silly" does not. 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Same on my feed. I reintroduced my kids to ‘hubris’ and ‘shadenfreud’ today. DS was quick to point out the similarities between shadenfreud and sadism. The whole thing is sad—possibly predictable but still sad. I want to kick his arse out of office next month and leave a few bruises on his tush to boot but I don’t wish possible death on anyone.

No.  I hope he is decently sick (Boris Johnson style) but recovers.  I assume Mrs Trump will be OK being younger and fit buy the president is in the danger zone at 74.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, marbel said:

But why? What difference does it make what one person on a message board thinks about someone else's reactions? I just don't get it. 

Why interact at all then?

33 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Not the way I took it at all. She just doesn't feel the need to cower in fear. That is it, not that she doesn't care about others.

Ok, so that implies others ARE cowering in fear. Which is what people took offense to. That their standard and reasonable precautions = cowering in fear. 

6 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Well, it's a more meaningful conversation if, when you're told you're offensive, you try to ponder why someone said that. Even if you don't wind up totally empathizing, that at least moves us forward in a way that saying "your feelings are silly" does not. 

Right. There have been times on this board someone has called me out for something I said. I am pretty sure I have apologized more than once. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Bagels McGruffikin I hope you don’t go.

If you are still around I am wondering what Meh means to u and if it may have a different meaning to you than to others?

“Meh is designed to be rude and dismissive - a sure-fire conversation-stopper. Users of the word are unequivocal in their total indifference to what is being discussed. Recipients of the word are under no illusion that the subject under discussion is of no interest to their listener.Apr 8, 2008
 

CON TEXT: MEH - The Irish Times

 

?  

 

I think possibly you meant only that you do not think, statistically, that President Trump (or his contacts) is actually in a great deal of danger?  But perhaps did not mean a “word” that for many is understood as in the above definition to carry intentional rude dismissiveness?  I know I have sometimes misused a word not fully understanding how it is taken by others. 

 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

From what I've seen from the statistics, the individual risk levels aren't as low as you make them out to be. I say this as someone who scoffs at many overblown "dangers" of the modern world. 

But I'm glad you guys have had lots of asymptomatic and mild cases. If that was the case for most of the US, I'm sure no one would be all that worried. 

Most people do have mild cases and many people possibly don't even realise they have it.  Unfortunately for a unreasonable number it is very serious.  Bagels experience of her family and friends is at the mild end and I think that is really all she said at first.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Why interact at all then?

<snip>

I guess I answered this upthread, but... interactions are easier and more useful if people can express their opinions and describe their experiences without the people they are talking with complaining about being offended or getting their feelings hurt.

I just think adults should be able to hear someone say "meh" about their experiences, and understand that it's about the speaker's experiences, and not a judgment on the listener. Or if it's meant to be a judgment on the listener, why care about it?  It's a chat board, not the family reunion or a formal occasion where everyone needs to stay on their best behavior.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, kiwik said:

I assume Mrs Trump will be OK being younger and fit buy the president is in the danger zone at 74.

earlier on this thread @Bagels McGruffikin lumped both Mrs and Mr Trump into the same age demographic:

9 hours ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Meh, not too worried honestly. Praying for their recovery and that they have mild cases. There are advantages to having the best care in the world available though, especially when the virus is incredibly mild in most people, even in their age demographic.  

 

Mrs Trump's father (Mr. Knavs) and Mr Trump are in the same age group. Mrs. Trump, though known to have had health issues while she was living in the East Wing, is much younger and perhaps has lesser risks.

ETA: multi quote is messy whenever I attempt it!

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kiwik said:

Most people do have mild cases and many people possibly don't even realise they have it.  Unfortunately for a unreasonable number it is very serious.  Bagels experience of her family and friends is at the mild end and I think that is really all she said at first.

Yeah, I think that's true for the literal definition of "most" -- more than 50% have mild cases. 

However, from my personal sample, 10% have a case I would not want (hospitalization or long-hauler), and that makes me nervous. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Am I the only one for whom you guys aren't just "anonymous people on a message board?"   I mean, at this point, some of you are among people I've "known" longer than anyone else in my life.  I mean, you guys show up in my dreams.  And especially during covid, when I'm not seeing people in real life much, you guys are very much real to me.

You're definitely not the only one. This has been my main social outlet for the whole pandemic. And in general, I love being a part of online communities... I have my whole life. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Happy2BaMom said:

 

It has been far, far more than "barely even a cold" for hundreds of thousands of people.

 

ETA: From the CDC, “the overall cumulative COVID-19 associated hospitalization rate is 4.6 per 100,000, with the highest rates in persons 65 and older (13.8 per 100,000) and 50-64 years (7.4 per 100,000).”
 

13.8% is not “very low”. Neither is 4.6%. 
 

The continuous dismissal and downplaying of the ill and the dead on the part of some conservatives is really.....morally disappointing is the kindest phrase I can come up with. 
 

Where is 13.8% coming from?  If the rate is 13.8 per 100,000 isn't it 0.0138% ?

But I am finding this on the CDC site:  Cumulative COVID-19-associated hospitalization rates since March 1, 2020, are updated weekly. The overall cumulative COVID-19 hospitalization rate was 178.2 per 100,000, with the highest rates in people aged 65 years and older (481.5 per 100,000) and 50–64 years (266.3 per 100,000).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

You're definitely not the only one. This has been my main social outlet for the whole pandemic. And in general, I love being a part of online communities... I have my whole life. 

Which is why we need to cut Bagels some slack.  We know what she is like and she has been round a while (I don't get the name change though).  It is not like she is any different than she has ever been.  A community includes people who disagree with you.  

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Happymomof1 said:

Not the way I took it at all. She just doesn't feel the need to cower in fear. That is it, not that she doesn't care about others.

 

58 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

Believe me, I am taking precautions.  I promise I am. But people look at me like I am cowering in fear.  Just the way they look at it.

 

Well, apparently, you ARE among the “people” who accuse others of needing to “cower in fear,” because you posted exactly that when you defended Bagels.

You backpedaled after people call you out for what you posted, but you said what you said. 

Stop playing the victim and own what you said.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Not just a lack of masking but openly mocking it as weak and unnecessary. 

let us not forget to mention the "cowerers" who are too scared to take off their masks 😉 (I have never used this form of the word and it brings funny imagery to my mind ... me sitting under my desk at home with my laptop, wearing a mask and enjoying sisterhood with all the other cowerers who are sitting under their desks in their homes wearing their masks because we are all scared!)

I think that I need to get off this thread now ...

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

I don't understand.  Guess I will take a break for today. Please don't hate me. I see all sides... I just don't communicate very well.  I can get into people's heads.  I'm trying to explain how SHE and others thought NOT the way I think....  

I don't think anyone hates you, although there are definitely lots of knee-jerk reactions on here. 

I actually don't have any trouble imagining how she feels or thinks about this. I know there have been situations in which I would say "don't live in fear" and people would scoff at me, and it doesn't feel good. 

It's just that I think her analogy is faulty. I understand how she feels in the way that I understand how my kids feel, whether they are being rational or not. That's because human beings aren't all that rational, and we would all do well to accept that. 

So, I both understand how she feels, and wish she'd spend some time understanding how other people on this thread may feel. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Happymomof1 said:

I think she can. I just don't think you guys hear her...  

What am I supposed to hear? There was a sense of "this was fine for us, it'll probably be fine for them" that was communicated loudly and clearly. How is that supposed to make people who know quite a few long-haulers feel, exactly? Am I supposed to feel like I'm blowing my own experiences out of proportion? Am I supposed to not worry because someone else had good luck? 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Happymomof1 said:

I'm an Enneagram 9, I think...though not completely sure.  While my parents would go round and round and scream at each other, I could hear the feelings and emotions BEHIND what their words were saying. They just couldn't hear, even when sometimes they wanted the same thing. As a kid, I fantasized about sitting them down and explaining how the other one was thinking and feeling.  I continue that today whenever I feel like there is conflict. Of course, most of the time this is all in my head. You guys don't know me, so I share.  Guess I shouldn't.  Safer and everyone would like me if I wouldn't. 

As a matter of fact, while I was not a sensitive kid, I'm quite good at this as an adult, too. The problem is that I happen to think there are often right and wrong answers to questions, however people feel. Not so much in personal interactions, but definitely in societal decisions. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update: Just heard on CNBC that the president is fatigued but in high spirits and that the First Lady has a cough and headache and all else is fine. They gave him a transfusion of Regeneron's polyclonal antibody cocktail. None of the other people in his family tested positive.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Bagels McGruffikin I understand if a break is in order for you and I wish you well. I think, though, that you don’t appreciate your own personal stresses. You have endured two traumatic births and difficult outcomes in both cases. You are under a lot of personal pressure I would imagine, just from what little I know. Even just the whole pandemic itself - I see this for myself, at least - has raised the stress level exponentially. 

I appreciate your intelligent voice on many issues here. Again, I wish you well. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

That's not a good sign... 

Well, there is apparantly an executive suite there.  He is symptomatic now and they say it's out of "an abundance of caution."  It probably was motivated by him becoming symptomatic and, thus, more likely to have issues. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, freesia said:

Well, there is apparantly an executive suite there.  He is symptomatic now and they say it's out of "an abundance of caution."  It probably was motivated by him becoming symptomatic and, thus, more likely to have issues. 

Yeaaaaah, I don't know about "abundance of caution." They have not been open about any of his medical issues. If he's going to a medical center, something's probably going wrong, given how much he doesn't want to appear sick in the media. 

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given the fairly advanced capabilities of White House Medical Unit to provide care "in-house" and the president's likely reluctance to go to a hospital with Covid, this "transfer" to Walter Reed seems indicative that Mr Trump's condition is likely quite serious.

Bill

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. That’s huge. 

I do remember when Boris Johnson went into hospital, critical care, it seemed very awful to me. I thought he would die. 

I am no Trump fan but I cannot in my heart wish ill on anyone. There is a part of me that hopes this is an experiential lesson for him. But I don’t wish anyone to suffer critical illness or death from COVID. 

  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kand said:

I’m sure they will be much more cautious with the president, as they should be. I think of Boris Johnson’s hospital stay and this may be similar. Johnson ended up in ICU, but not on a ventilator. 

No, I agree they are extra careful with him, I just don't buy the "abundance of caution" story. And I do think of Boris Johnson's illness as quite serious. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Happymomof1 said:

I don't understand.  Guess I will take a break for today. Please don't hate me. I see all sides... I just don't communicate very well.  I can get into people's heads.  I'm trying to explain how SHE and others thought NOT the way I think....  

No one is hating you. 

Saying "when you say XYZ it offends people because ABC" is not hatin gon anyone. It's not an attack. It's explaining, 'Hey, when you say that, it sounds like you mean __________"

That is an opportunity for the other person to say, "What? No! I didn't mean ___________ at all. Sorry. i just meant this other thing. My bad." and then it's all fine. Or, they may say, "Well, that's actually exactly what i meant, and I'm not changing it." Which may not be well received, but is also an option. 

But no one gets to go around saying whtatever they want with no one ever taking offense, or having it pointed out when their words have been hurtful. 

To ignore that is bad communication at best. 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

Just the way they've been brainwashed and propagandized into looking at it, IMHO, and an example of where we shouldn't care one whit what anyone thinks.

 

We need to care what others think because we don't want to get to this point ever again about anything else.

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Am I the only one for whom you guys aren't just "anonymous people on a message board?"   I mean, at this point, some of you are among people I've "known" longer than anyone else in my life.  I mean, you guys show up in my dreams.  And especially during covid, when I'm not seeing people in real life much, you guys are very much real to me.

No, you're not the only one. People on this board are people I've known for years.  And everyone is a real person. It's not like the comment section on a news site or reddit where there are so many people that everyone is anonymous. 

47 minutes ago, kiwik said:

No.  I hope he is decently sick (Boris Johnson style) but recovers. 

I think this is the only way he and his followers will take it seriously.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Quill said:

 

I am no Trump fan but I cannot in my heart wish ill on anyone. There is a part of me that hopes this is an experiential lesson for him. But I don’t wish anyone to suffer critical illness or death from COVID. 

This is how I feel. I don't want him to suffer horrible (I'd prefer his horrible suffering to happen at the polls) but I want him to get sick enough to take it seriously after he's better. And I do hope Barron is okay. He's an innocent in all of this and these people are his parents, whatever we think their faults are. 

10 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It's a forum upgrade thing. I'm still a mod.

Oh yay! You offer so many great replies that I'm happy we can finally like them. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing that I actually find interesting about this situation is that Melania actually has it too. I've always assumed that their marriage is a bit of a show, and not a genuine relationship. But apparently they do have a close enough relationship that it spread between them quickly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Calizzy said:

The thing that I actually find interesting about this situation is that Melania actually has it too. I've always assumed that their marriage is a bit of a show, and not a genuine relationship. But apparently they do have a close enough relationship that it spread between them quickly. 

Eh, I don't think you can conclude much of anything. They are in indoor places together all the time. That would be enough if someone is spreading it enough. Or they might have gotten it from the same person. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can completely understand why @Bagels McGruffikin left. I haven't been on here as long as most of you but oh boy is this board intolerant. If one's views contradict what popular girls think on that particular day - it gets pretty nasty.

Back to topic at hand - I think it speaks volumes about where we are as a society based on what people are saying about president being sick. G-d help us all bc while I am not a Christian, I know my religion has a few opinions on what happens when people are that evil to each other.

 

  • Like 7
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SereneHome said:

I can completely understand why @Bagels McGruffikin left. I haven't been on here as long as most of you but oh boy is this board intolerant. If one's views contradict what popular girls think on that particular day - it gets pretty nasty.

Back to topic at hand - I think it speaks volumes about where we are as a society based on what people are saying about president being sick. G-d help us all bc while I am not a Christian, I know my religion has a few opinions on what happens when people are that evil to each other.

 

No one has been 'evil" on this thread. As for nasty, peopl have pointed out where someone's words were offensive. 

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

If one's views contradict what popular girls think on that particular day - it gets pretty nasty.

Dude. You have no idea how bad a popular girl I would make. I'm a contrarian nerd. In Ancient Greece, I would get ostracized, probably more than once. I speak truth to power whether it benefits me or not. 

The idea that I would be labeled as a popular girl is just... I can't even. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

No one has been 'evil" on this thread. As for nasty, peopl have pointed out where someone's words were offensive. 

Yeah, I want to go to the school where the popular girls drone incessantly about empathy and thinking about other people's feelings, all the while not actually being rude. 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ktgrok said:

No one has been 'evil" on this thread. As for nasty, peopl have pointed out where someone's words were offensive. 

Didn't say that... .so let's not get on a tangent here.

As far as "offensive"....well........it's incredibly subjective. I am one of those people who ARE cowering in fear and freaking out beyond belief about Covid. And yet, I found NOTHING offensive in her words. As a matter of fact, I might even wish a little that I wasn't worried as much. But if she is "meh" about it, good for her. If her opinion is that I am "freaking out", OK, that's her opinion.

People can not keep holding others responsible for their own reactions and feelings.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

I can completely understand why @Bagels McGruffikin left. I haven't been on here as long as most of you but oh boy is this board intolerant. If one's views contradict what popular girls think on that particular day - it gets pretty nasty.

I agree. There is definitely a popular clique here and crossing them will bring out the daggers. It's always been that way in the 8-10 years I've been here but it seems worse since the last board upgrade. I have left a few times and for some reason I keep coming back but I'm not entirely sure why.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Didn't say that... .so let's not get on a tangent here.

As far as "offensive"....well........it's incredibly subjective. I am one of those people who ARE cowering in fear and freaking out beyond belief about Covid. And yet, I found NOTHING offensive in her words. As a matter of fact, I might even wish a little that I wasn't worried as much. But if she is "meh" about it, good for her. If her opinion is that I am "freaking out", OK, that's her opinion.

People can not keep holding others responsible for their own reactions and feelings.

To be fair, this is in the context of a lot of other discussions in which people's fears and concerns have been pooh-poohed. Given that a lot of us are putting in a LOT of effort into staying safe, that tone starts to get on one's nerves. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Given the fairly advanced capabilities of White House Medical Unit to provide care "in-house" and the president's likely reluctance to go to a hospital with Covid, this "transfer" to Walter Reed seems indicative that Mr Trump's condition is likely quite serious.

Bill

from what I pieced together from the news networks, I think that whereas his symptom was "fatigue" a few hours ago, he has since developed a fever and that could have been a trigger for those in charge of his treatment to make this decision. Perhaps they think that it is best not to let the symptoms progress given his age and his title in the government.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

Dude. You have no idea how bad a popular girl I would make. I'm a contrarian nerd. In Ancient Greece, I would get ostracized, probably more than once. I speak truth to power whether it benefits me or not. 

The idea that I would be labeled as a popular girl is just... I can't even. 

OK, you are smart enough to know that I wasn't talking about popular in that sense. This board has definitely has its favorite posters and others get behind them fairly quickly. I tried to have a few conversation about  topics that were more controversial than "how is the weather". I got slammed and told I was  being stupid, insensitive, cold-hearted....just to name a few.

Edited by SereneHome
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SereneHome said:

OK, you are smart enough to know that I wasn't talking about popular in that sense. This board has definitely has it's favorite posters and others get behind them fairly quickly. I tried to have a few conversation about  topics that were more controversial than "how is the weather". I got slammed and told I was  being stupid, insensitive, cold-hearted....just to name a few.

Actually, I haven't found that, really. It has a bunch of groups of broadly aligned people, and even those people are usually only aligned along some axes. 

I, for example, might be popular in the context of "staying safe from COVID" and also make myself unpopular on the "better late than early" threads 😉. And I have to say, I haven't found people holding back because we agree on COVID... 

  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mathnerd said:

from what I pieced together from the news networks, I think that whereas his symptom was "fatigue" a few hours ago, he has since developed a fever and that could have been a trigger for those in charge of his treatment to make this decision. Perhaps they think that it is best not to let the symptoms progress given his age and his title in the government.

He did manage to walk to the helicopter and from the helicopter to a waiting car. Those are good signs.

Bill

 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

To be fair, this is in the context of a lot of other discussions in which people's fears and concerns have been pooh-poohed. Given that a lot of us are putting in a LOT of effort into staying safe, that tone starts to get on one's nerves. 

But again, whatever I am doing to stay safe, however I am feeling about this nightmare - it's my feelings. Someone else thinking it's a hoax or govt trying to control us or just another cold has no bearings or SHOULDN'T have any bearing on how I feel about it or what I am doing.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Helpdesk locked, unlocked and locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...