Menu

POTUS and FLOTUS have Covid-19

YaelAldrich

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

My current worldview has been shaped very heavily by threads on WTM;  

Me too. I am much broader and deeper thinker due to my interactions on this board. Also, it has radically impacted how I have educated my boys, and has also been a major player in me being able to get my older boy to where he needs to be. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pawz4me said:

No, I'm not focusing on it. Far from it. But given the other discrepancies in the doctor's statements (written and oral) I did think it was worth noting.

I can see why you might think that, but in this case, it isn't an issue.  

• Like 2

Just now, Medicmom2.0 said:

Also, I am a conservative libertarian, and nobody ever agrees with me politically.  I don’t argue because I’m not going to change anyone’s minds and I am genuinely interested in learning other people’s viewpoints.

I still like you all. 🤷‍♀️

Is that a hostile shrug? 

jk 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 19

16 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Here in NZ, the entire 200 people would have been asked to go into self isolation for 14 days regardless of getting a negative test, as they were close contacts given the general mingling. Transmission can take 14 days, and also there are false negatives. Contract tracing is how you can *stop* transmission, not just how you identify who is likely to have it.

That's how Vermont is tracing as well We had 2 positives (siblings) in a school. The whole school shut down for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

I love Bagels, but I think maybe some people are forgetting (or are unaware) that she's had plenty of stress in her own life this year. 

Maybe when current situations are resolved (personally and politically) she'll come back.

There've been plenty of times when I needed a break from this board.  And from politics.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

Hello.   Conservative libertarian here as well.

I'm working to understand libertarian viewpoints by listening to Russ Roberts on Econtalk every week.  He is fascinating and so is the conservative libertarian viewpoint.  But I'm countering his opinion with Capital and Ideology by Piketty, the highly progressive French Economist.  My head is about ready to explode trying to reconcile the ideas of these two very intelligent and well spoken economists. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yes, I greatly enjoyed Stella's voice on here, and I have greatly enjoyed Bagels'/AM's voice on here. 

Stella left??? I sent her a PM a while ago because I was worried about her, but didn't hear back. Now I know why. That stinks. 😢

I love Stella, and hope both she and Bagels will return. Bagels often gives helpful advice on a variety of topics, and I believe she is one of the few posters who agrees with me on a particular topic that Shall Not Be Named. 

@Bagels McGruffikin, I admit to assuming things about your "meh" post based on past posts in previous threads. I sincerely apologize if you felt attacked by me. That was not my intent. You've told me before that you have a thick skin, but I should have remembered that times have been difficult for you lately. I'm sorry.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I'm working to understand libertarian viewpoints by listening to Russ Roberts on Econtalk every week.  He is fascinating and so is the conservative libertarian viewpoint.  But I'm countering his opinion with Capital and Ideology by Piketty, the highly progressive French Economist.  My head is about ready to explode trying to reconcile the ideas of these two very intelligent and well spoken economists. 

Here’s a recording of a Piketty lecture from earlier this year in case you’re interested: https://ces.fas.harvard.edu/recordings/capital-and-ideology-an-address-by-thomas-piketty

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kdsuomi said:

I'm a Constitutionalist, so everyone who isn't one has issues with me. Libertarians, Republicans, Democrats, Green Party, etc. think I'm the most politically insane person, I swear.

I have listened to the Great Courses lecture series on the debate between the men who wrote the federalist AND anti-federalist papers.  Wow is that some serious political theory that they put into the public domain way back then.  We don't see those kinds of discussions in the public discourse anymore. 

I think that I've listened/read so many deep thinkers on political theory in the past 3 years, that I getting to the point where everyone seems right.  I see validity in ALL the arguments.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, lewelma said:

Me too. I am much broader and deeper thinker due to my interactions on this board. Also, it has radically impacted how I have educated my boys, and has also been a major player in me being able to get my older boy to where he needs to be. 

And you have been a major player in helping me guide my math loving 8th grade dd to where she needs to be. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

BNO says Sen Ron Johnson has also tested positive.

And Republican leaders in his state, WI, have joined a lawsuit to overturn the Democrat governor’s indoor mask mandate, all while cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are surging there. Johnson himself still opposes a mask mandate.

• Sad 5

6 minutes ago, Frances said:

And Republican leaders in his state, WI, have joined a lawsuit to overturn the Democrat governor’s indoor mask mandate, all while cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are surging there. Johnson himself still opposes a mask mandate.

Terrified.  It defies logic. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Æthelflæd said:

I think it might be the tanner wore off. The goggle marks are gone. 

No kidding, I wondered if my perception that he looked bad might be due to his lack of makeup. I don't know what his normal skin tone is. Maybe he's naturally that pale w/o it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Terrified.  It defies logic. 

Yes, I’m scared because my mom lives there. She is high risk for several reasons. Not only am I worried about her getting sick, but I hate that she has so many restrictions at her senior living complex due to the surge. Fortunately, the president’s campaign did cancel a stop in her city after the mayor begged them to stay away due to the situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

No kidding, I wondered if my perception that he looked bad might be due to his lack of makeup. I don't know what his normal skin tone is. Maybe he's naturally that pale w/o it.

If you look at pictures of him from the 70's and 80's he looks really fair skinned and it seems like some people get paler with age. I am not quite sure when the tan thing happened. Guessing network TV? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Frances said:

Yes, I’m scared because my mom lives there. She is high risk for several reasons. Not only am I worried about her getting sick, but I hate that she has so many restrictions at her senior living complex due to the surge. Fortunately, the president’s campaign did cancel a stop in her city after the mayor begged them to stay away due to the situation.

I live here.   We are doing really bad right now.   I am terrified that they will win.  My small college town is doing horrible.   But they opened the schools for face to face and they aren't canceling Trick or treating.  Kid sports are still going on.

We are living this whole time like it is March, because nobody cares.  I am so sad for my kids who haven't seen anyone outside our househild since March.    And they won't for a long time.  This is so hard.  I am struggling and terrified of the long dark cold winter  that normally is hard to get through. There were lots of unmasked people in the stores today.

I feel such guilt about not going to the dentist and doctor.  I worry about the health ramifications of that for all of us.  But with the spread now I just can't. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

44 minutes ago, lewelma said:

I have listened to the Great Courses lecture series on the debate between the men who wrote the federalist AND anti-federalist papers.  Wow is that some serious political theory that they put into the public domain way back then.  We don't see those kinds of discussions in the public discourse anymore. 

I think that I've listened/read so many deep thinkers on political theory in the past 3 years, that I getting to the point where everyone seems right.  I see validity in ALL the arguments.  

We have no statesmen anymore, sadly. Just politicians. Huge difference.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

We have no statesmen anymore, sadly. Just politicians. Huge difference.

Sooooo true. So very, very true. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Æthelflæd said:

If you look at pictures of him from the 70's and 80's he looks really fair skinned and it seems like some people get paler with age. I am not quite sure when the tan thing happened. Guessing network TV? 

He suffers from rosacea. So he covers it with a spay-tan.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kand said:

I only saw people express how they took Bagel’s comment, and did not see anyone call her names or be mean to her. I don’t find disagreement mean. On the other hand, she made several comments (and has over the past few weeks) about how much she doesn’t like the people here and doesn’t enjoy them and we’re a waste of her time and many other similar statements. I haven’t actually seen anyone make any statements like that in the other direction, so it’s interesting to me that some people are seeing the people who expressed issues with some of her words as being the “mean girls” but the outright mean statements get a pass. It is what it is, but that keeps striking me when I read these posts, so I thought I’d finally say something. 

Yes, I have noticed this as well and agree with you. Her mean comments were often edited shortly after she made them, with the name calling and other nastiness removed, so many readers may never have seen them.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

Also, I am a conservative libertarian, and nobody ever agrees with me politically.  I don’t argue because I’m not going to change anyone’s minds and I am genuinely interested in learning other people’s viewpoints.

I still like you all. 🤷‍♀️

I actually have had my mind changed on certain subjects via WTM from time to time.

Even if it doesn’t change my mind, I would appreciate hearing more diverse viewpoints. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

I am not familiar with that Great Course, but love the Federalist and Anti Federalist Papers! 

And I don’t know where the post went, but I wanted to say I agree with one that says the people on this website have contributed to becoming a broader thinker. 

Me too. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wonderchica said:

Our military hospital has civilian doctors and other medical staff as well though. I thought that was standard?

There can be civilian staff but I would not say those people are the majority in many places, and likely not at Walter Reed. Granted, it's been 20+ years since I was last there.

I suspect the doctors in the image (which I have not seen) are senior military officers and unlikely to have been personally chosen by him. He could get his own personal docs involved, of course.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hippiemamato3 said:

I don't believe for one minute that video was taped today.

Really? Interesting. When do you think it was made?*

* I ask this even though I do think there is a significant attempt being made to “downplay” (haha) how sick he may be. 

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Really? Interesting. When do you think it was made?*

* I ask this even though I do think there is a significant attempt being made to “downplay” (haha) how sick he may be. 

Yesterday, or maybe even Thursday, before leaving for the hospital. According to various sources, those cabinets behind him aren't even in his hotel suite. I don't believe anything being told to us from his administration or doctors either. It's all smoke and mirrors. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippiemamato3 said:

Yesterday, or maybe even Thursday, before leaving for the hospital. According to various sources, those cabinets behind him aren't even in his hotel suite. I don't believe anything being told to us from his administration or doctors either. It's all smoke and mirrors. 

Do you think he would have mentally planned for being “un-filmable” in a couple of days, though? I don’t think that fits with what I typically expect from DT, because I think before he was symptomatic, he more likely would have thought that’s how he would continue to be. 

But I do agree there’s a good bit of obfuscation going on. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lewelma said:

Those same guys printed all sorts of scurrilous stuff about each other in their partisan newspapers. Burr literally killed Hamilton in a duel. I think we're a lot tamer today.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I live here.   We are doing really bad right now.   I am terrified that they will win.  My small college town is doing horrible.   But they opened the schools for face to face and they aren't canceling Trick or treating.  Kid sports are still going on.

I'm sorry we to hear things aren't going well there.  We lived in LaCrosse when the kids were little and loved it.  Hope things get better. 

• Like 2

Thank you for posting that. I wanted to see the actual video but I had not seen it yet. 

There is no doubt in my mind that he is ill in this video and it could not have been filmed a few days ago. He wouldn’t have know and probably wouldn’t have entertained the possibility, that he would go to Walter Reed, so it makes no sense he would have said that before he was hospitalized.

It is also evident in his voice that his is ill. There are places where he almost has a wheeze on inhalation; it sounds exactly like my MIL did when she was under-oxygenated. Besides that, I just think that DTs personality is such that he would do anything to avoid appearing weak and if he can be cleaned up, put in a suit and talk for four minutes on camera, he is definitely going to do so. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

I find the anti-federalists much more interesting than the federalists, they should be read and covered more often.

• Like 1

• Helpdesk locked and unlocked this topic