Menu

POTUS and FLOTUS have Covid-19

YaelAldrich

3 hours ago, bibiche said:

I can’t imagine they are not using prophylactic convalescent plasma, so I’m sure they’ll recover quickly. If they actually have it. [Sentence removed by moderator.]

The last study didn’t show much good about the plasma though I think.  

Apparently, the press secretary went out and gave an unmasked press conference yesterday after being informed of the positive tests. Other people engaged in similarly blasé behaviors too. Hopefully the spread can be contained such that the whole west wing isn't in quarantine. On the other hand...oh darn.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 6
  • Sad 7

I’m sad-facing on blasé behaviors. 

Your UN has presumably been changed to your real name; I’m seeing that happening with other members here in the tech issues yesterday. 

Edited by Quill

Apparently, the press secretary went out and gave an unmasked press conference yesterday after being informed of the positive tests. Other people engaged in similarly blasé behaviors too. Hopefully the spread can be contained such that the whole west wing isn't in quarantine. On the other hand...oh darn.

And POTUS held a fundraiser at Bedminster (sp?) after knowing he'd been exposed. I can't really say anything about that behavior without getting too political. It certainly does NOT reflect any Christian values with which I am familiar.

This is so weird. On my computer, I can see my name. On my phone, I can’t.

I'm on my laptop and I see your user name.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

The news said they think they got it from Hope Hicks.  This doesn't make sense to me, why would they both have it already?  She tested negative in the morning, then got symptoms and was positive in the afternoon.  The President and FL were already positive.  I bet Hope got it from them and they got it at a campaign event.

I hope Joe Biden doesn't have it.

• Like 3

As far as the reporting I saw Hope got her positive from a test early yesterday, they released the report in the evening, tested the president again, and then the had their positive. Who knows though?

It might have been after midnight early/late.  Apparently they were on their way back from a campaign event when the rapid test came back positive, they isolated her on AirForce one, and then tested the others.

The timeline I'm seeing is --

On Wednesday morning Hicks tested negative (routine testing of those around POTUS)

Later in the day she started having symptoms

On Wednesday evening she tested positive

And then late Thursday night/very early Friday a.m. the Trumps tested positive

ETA: I'm also hearing questions about what type of rapid testing is being used in the WH and how accurate (or not) it is with regard to false negatives.

Edited by Pawz4me

The last study didn’t show much good about the plasma though I think.  

It hasn’t seemed to do much for our sick patients, but of course we have fairly limited experience, and maybe helps more early on.

• Like 2

The news said they think they got it from Hope Hicks.  This doesn't make sense to me, why would they both have it already?  She tested negative in the morning, then got symptoms and was positive in the afternoon.  The President and FL were already positive.  I bet Hope got it from them and they got it at a campaign event.

I hope Joe Biden doesn't have it.

They may have all three got it from a mutual contact and she progressed to symptomatic faster.  (I believe the president has no symptoms as this stage)

• Like 1

I’m sad-facing on blasé behaviors. 

Your UN has presumably been changed to your real name; I’m seeing that happening with other members here in the tech issues yesterday. 

FYI - in Her original post, I’m now seeing her username, but in your quote of her post, I’m seeing what’s presumably her real name. You might want to delete that quote?

• Thanks 1

And now Quill's name is missing.

I just saw someone on Facebook call Trump's diagnosis fake news.  He stated it himself on twitter.  Do Q-Anon followers really believe it's all fake?

The forum made me put in my display name in again or it was going to delete my account. And when I came back half the names on this thread are missing.

• Like 1

I never watched that show but am old enough to remember when ER got crazy. 

I did watch Grey's until it got crazy.  But mostly to yell at the TV that "Interns and residents don't do that!  WHERE ARE THE NURSES?!?"

• Haha 6

And now Quill's name is missing.

I just saw someone on Facebook call Trump's diagnosis fake news.  He stated it himself on twitter.  Do Q-Anon followers really believe it's all fake?

I've seen that. I've also seen the other side saying HE is lying and it is a ploy on his part. The sad thing is that anything is possible. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

He's a world leader and is out in the public all.the.time.  It was only a matter of time before he contracted it, IMHO.  

Which is why the world leaders who have been the most blase about it have contracted it, lol. Johnson, Bolsonaro, Trump... I'm seeing a pattern here. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 19

I've seen that. I've also seen the other side saying HE is lying and it is a ploy on his part. The sad thing is that anything is possible. 

I've been quick to shut down my liberal friend who tried to flat out say, "he's lying" on my page. Conspiracy theories posited as fact, with no proof, have no place in adult conversation. Annoys me when "my side" does it just as much as when the other side does it. I've also seen people say they don't believe it when those on "the other side" say they are praying for Trump. As if it is impossible to believe that I can dislike the man, and his policies, and not wish him ill. 

Again, hopefully those of us who claim the title Christian can remember that "ha ha!" or rejoicing in the suffering of others is not what our faith calls us to do. 

(not aimed at you, just going off on what I'm seeing other places)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

What has seemed to work from your experience? 

My experience is limited, although our local positivity is 21% so unfortunately it may get broader. From observation it seems that if you can stay off the ventilator you will probably be ok eventually. Of course, the patients having to be ventilated have no other choice because they become so hypoxic or so exhausted that they would die without it. The reason I say that though, is that earlier on I think the thought was that earlier intubation might be better but it does not seem to be so. To be honest all the therapeutics don't seem to have a huge effect, but again that is in my very limited experience. For us, it also seems like people are sicker this time around than they were the first time, but again we've have more patients this time, so that may be a false impression also. Maybe some of these interventions are having an effect and enabling more people to stay off the vent. That's the trouble with anecdotes I guess. I think the studies show limited effect, but then again, limited is better than none.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Can some one lay out who was exposed or known positive who WAS out in public? I'm hearing bit and pieces but today is my "order groceries from three different places, mak a list for the fourth and fifth place, drive nearly an hour round trip to pick up presanctified communion for Sunday, clean the house" day and I can't keep track. 

I've been quick to shut down my liberal friend who tried to flat out say, "he's lying" on my page. Conspiracy theories posited as fact, with no proof, have no place in adult conversation. Annoys me when "my side" does it just as much as when the other side does it. I've also seen people say they don't believe it when those on "the other side" say they are praying for Trump. As if it is impossible to believe that I can dislike the man, and his policies, and not wish him ill. 

Again, hopefully those of us who claim the title Christian can remember that "ha ha!" or rejoicing in the suffering of others is not what our faith calls us to do. 

Thank you

The best thing I've seen today is one of the Hermits posting on Twitter that we should never wish ill on someone sick with Coronavirus.

And I happen to be pretty sure he's not a fan of our President at all. But the thing I was the most afraid of today was navigating all of the wish him ill and thankfully I have not seen as much of it as I was afraid of.

• Like 7

My experience is limited, although our local positivity is 21% so unfortunately it may get broader. From observation it seems that if you can stay off the ventilator you will probably be ok eventually. Of course, the patients having to be ventilated have no other choice because they become so hypoxic or so exhausted that they would die without it. The reason I say that though, is that earlier on I think the thought was that earlier intubation might be better but it does not seem to be so. To be honest all the therapeutics don't seem to have a huge effect, but again that is in my very limited experience. For us, it also seems like people are sicker this time around than they were the first time, but again we've have more patients this time, so that may be a false impression also. Maybe some of these interventions are having an effect and enabling more people to stay off the vent. That's the trouble with anecdotes I guess. I think the studies show limited effect, but then again, limited is better than none.

That matches up with the studies I've seen. Like, dexamethasone did reduce mortality if on a ventilator, but it wasn't a huge amount. So you'd still see enough sick and dying that it would feel pretty terrible, and not seem much better on the ground. And unless you are in a really busy area, might not be enough to even see the effect where you are. (like, if it reduces death by 8 percent, and you only get 50 patients, it may do nothing for the ones you saw but across town several were saved)

• Like 2

Thank you

The best thing I've seen today is one of the Hermits posting on Twitter that we should never wish ill on someone sick with Coronavirus.

And I happen to be pretty sure he's not a fan of our President at all. But the thing I was the most afraid of today was navigating all of the wish him ill and thankfully I have not seen as much of it as I was afraid of.

Yes, now is the time for those who have claimed the moral high road to prove it. 

• Like 5

That's been honestly my take on the data. Deaths are still tracking positivity so closely that it seems unlikely we're making a dent in them. 

• Like 1

Thank you

I don't wish personal ill on anyone. I do worry that if he has a really mild case, he'll decide he was right that it was overblown 😕 . 

So I guess I hope he has a mild case but also decides that it's not overblown.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Same on my feed. I reintroduced my kids to ‘hubris’ and ‘schadenfreude’ today. DS was quick to point out the similarities between shadenfreud and sadism. The whole thing is sad—possibly predictable but still sad. I want to kick his arse out of office next month and leave a few bruises on his tush to boot but I don’t wish possible death on anyone.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 11

44 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Wishing him a speedy recovery. It’s going around here again too but almost everyone is asymptomatic, including the friend who exposed me the other day. The hospitalization rate even among the elderly has been very low, so I’m hoping it’s better treatment, lower complication rates overall, or some other factor that is really making it barely even a cold for almost all of us.

It has been far, far more than "barely even a cold" for hundreds of thousands of people.

ETA: From the CDC, “the overall cumulative COVID-19 associated hospitalization rate is 4.6 per 100,000, with the highest rates in persons 65 and older (13.8 per 100,000) and 50-64 years (7.4 per 100,000).”

13.8% is not “very low”. Neither is 4.6%. 

The continuous dismissal and downplaying of the ill and the dead on the part of some conservatives is really.....morally disappointing is the kindest phrase I can come up with. 

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 13

6 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

That is entirely beside my point. Some people getting extremely sick or dying doesn’t change that most do not.

I was specifically talking about here, in my circle, with the positives I know. Almost all of us have had next to no symptoms or it’s been barely a cold - maybe some taste gone and some running nose, or fatigue. That’s a fact from here on the ground, in my current group of acquaintances. We have had maybe two dozen positives in the last month now, and nobody has done more than quarantine at home. As far as I know zero hospitalizations, no steroids, nothing.

So, yeah. Some people get extremely sick. And yet many don’t. Even in the older age contingent, which were some of the positives here. I’d say there has been a bit of a spike of confirmed cases but everyone is feeling fine who I’ve spoken with.

You’re all very lucky. That’s where that whole ‘hubris’ discussion comes into play.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Barron thankfully tested negative.

re contact tracing

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Can some one lay out who was exposed or known positive who WAS out in public? I'm hearing bit and pieces but today is my "order groceries from three different places, mak a list for the fourth and fifth place, drive nearly an hour round trip to pick up presanctified communion for Sunday, clean the house" day and I can't keep track. 

CNN did a good timeline of known recent contacts with POTUS here.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1