Menu

World Geography for 9th Graders

Anyone have any suggestions of a high school credit-worthy World Geography curriculum?  I feel like I have looked at everything and am finding it lacking.  I like the looks of BJU except it seems to cover more cultural stuff than geography stuff.  Heart of Dakota seems to have a ton of moving parts and I can't see paying over $400 for World Geography.  I know you get a lot more than just World Geography but I already have everything else I am looking for.  Any other suggestions?  I wanted to do this for 9th an then do World History for 10th.  If I could find a real meaty combo course to do over two years for 2 credits, that would work too.

I'm using the Guest Hollow curriculum mentioned above.  It is PACKED.  I've adapted it for our needs--removed some books and added more writing projects.  There is a lot of geography but also a LOT of cultural info.  You could definitely focus more on the geography aspect if you want.  Notgrass also just put out a brand new HS World Geography course that looks great if you want a textbook and optional literature.  

• Like 2

Oak Meadow's Geography was a favorite with one of mine. They might have redone it since my Marine used it though. I had a guidebook and a fairly standard textbook that she used via the schedule in the guide. We might have added a Great Courses series. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SilverMoon said:

Oak Meadow's Geography was a favorite with one of mine. They might have redone it since my Marine used it though. I had a guidebook and a fairly standard textbook that she used via the schedule in the guide. We might have added a Great Courses series. 

Thanks, I will check this out.

2 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

I'm using the Guest Hollow curriculum mentioned above.  It is PACKED.  I've adapted it for our needs--removed some books and added more writing projects.  There is a lot of geography but also a LOT of cultural info.  You could definitely focus more on the geography aspect if you want.  Notgrass also just put out a brand new HS World Geography course that looks great if you want a textbook and optional literature.  

Thanks for the feedback. I will check it out.

We used Oak Meadow Geography last year. You can look at their samples on the site.

Most "areas" had a week's worth of lessons focused on physical geography of the region, then another week more focused on its cultural geography. I felt it was balanced. 

What I most like about Oak Meadow is that the assignments are meaningful and interesting. You can use any text or other resource material (i.e. online) with the guides. We enjoyed the course. In fact, it worked so well that we followed it with their US History course. 

On the advice of someone here many years ago I used Runkle's Geography - fall semester was the text, spring was the workbook and memorizing the world. I also used McHenry's "Mapping the World..." and offered a sweet financial incentive for any of my kids who could both draw and recite the world from memory. I was out a lot of money that spring, let me just say...  That was also the year we read novels and such from each region we were studying.

It was a super fun year.