Menu

So, I received this bridal shower invite...

MercyA

...And there are two choices on the RSVP card. They are:

_____Will attend in person (12:15 pm to 2:00 pm)

_____Will attend via ZOOM (11:30 am to 12 pm)

There is no option for regrets / unable to attend. 😐

It feels a little like I'm being summoned, LOL.

Honestly, trying to make small talk on a ZOOM call for a half-hour sounds really uncomfortable to me.  

I think I'm going to write in "Will not be able to attend" and send a very nice gift and note. That's okay, right? Hopefully not offensive? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, MercyA said:

Honestly, trying to make small talk on a ZOOM call for a half-hour sounds really uncomfortable to me.  

I think I'm going to write in "Will not be able to attend" and send a very nice gift and note. That's okay, right? Hopefully not offensive? 

Hahahah, I bet they just forgot to include it! They nicely included Zoom, but then something glitched in their head, because they only expected to have TWO options and not THREE. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I don’t understand the times.🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm guessing that the hostess and bridge know it would be hard to pay attention to the Zoom attendees if the times overlapped, so they made them separate. But a half an hour of Zoom small talk probably is the limit of what is fun. 

I agree that your plan sounds great and not in the least offensive.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

19 minutes ago, xahm said:

I'm guessing that the hostess and bridge know it would be hard to pay attention to the Zoom attendees if the times overlapped, so they made them separate. But a half an hour of Zoom small talk probably is the limit of what is fun. 

Oh, oops. I thought @Scarlett meant "I don't understand these times we live in." Hence my response, "Me either!" :laugh:

Usually I take things too literally, not the other way around!

• Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

29 minutes ago, xahm said:

Seriously, though, I think it would be much more fun to watch her open her gifts (even if someone just pointed the camera in her general direction) than to try to make small talk before the "real" shower gets underway. 

I am sure the intentions were good, though.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MercyA said:

Not offensive. Boy, what a silly way to send an invitation. 

But, just as an FYI, some people host Zooms better than others and if the host does it well, it’s not awkward at all. The Zoom baby shower I recently “attended” was very well organized and strongly steered. We all had an activity which arrived prior to the shower so the host called on us each, one at a time, and we each got to speak to the mom-to-be and present our activity. It was fun! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MercyA said:

I’m sure they forgot the “regrets” option. We went to a bridal shower this summer where we needed to choose a time to come and it was awkward because we were the only ones there (it was for family) and and there’s only so much small talk you can make, and I could tell the bridal couple was getting a little tired of making small talk all afternoon in 20 minute intervals, and everyone was a little uncomfortable because of the masks and all that.

• Like 1

They probably just left off the regrets part (not on purpose), but mostly wanted people to know that they had the option of popping in via Zoom before the actual shower begins, since many people would not be comfortable attending in-person.  I'd probably interpret it as meaning you could pop in anytime during that 30-minute period to wish her the best.  It would've been helpful if they explained that part a little better, but I give them credit for trying to accommodate people who are actually trying to social distance! 

I'd probably Zoom in for a bit to visit -- maybe it'd be meaningful to the future bride.

• Like 2