Menu

Outlining SOTW 2

GMR

DD is starting 4th grade and we are using SOTW 2 (I only discovered WTM a year ago...). I just found out that the SOTW 4 activity book has outlining exercises. I am wondering how to implement this with SOTW 2 (I have the activity book) without having to create the exercises myself. I am starting part-time, then full-time work soon and I am trying to reduce my workload, not increase it. Is there anything out there I can buy that has something pre-made? Otherwise I will start outlining in Grade 5 with WWS and implement it across the curriculum at that time.

Thanks

Remedia Publications makes a great outlining workbook for 4th grade.  Here is a link:

https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/022861/Beginning-Outlining-Grades-3-4.html

In fact, it used to be recommended in one of the WTM books.  That's how I heard of it.  My dd used both workbooks by Remedia on Outlining.  (The other one is for grades 5-8.)

Here is the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Outlining-Grades-Reproducible-Activity/dp/1561752932/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=beginning+outlining+by+remedia&qid=1601486338&sr=8-1

Edited by perkybunch
added link
  • Like 1

Paradox5,

I was not trying to have her do more as much as I was afraid she was missing out on something she should do at her age simply because we are not on SOTW 4, which we would be on according to the normal schedule. I totally forgot that outlining is a logic stage task... I guess I should not worry about it yet.

hollyhock2, thanks for the reminder.

perkybunch,

I will check out the books. Thanks. It may be a good idea to use those first or along with outlining history and/or science.

A strong writer in 4th grade could totally get started on one level outlines, which is basically just a list of facts from the reading. As you go along you help guide them toward the main ideas rather than totally random facts. If you have a WTM copy handy you could check out the writing chapters again for a refresher. 

My particular 4th grader isn't there yet. This would overwhelm him. If the work could be done orally he would nail it, so we do a lot of writing skills aloud while waiting for his hands to catch up. 

• Like 1