Menu

Outdoor wedding - miserable weather

BlsdMama

So, my niece's wedding is this Saturday.  I've never not worn a dress to a wedding?!  Everything we had planned to wear for a fall wedding in early October is --- inappropriately warm?!?!  We expected sun and 70 degrees.  We getting a high of 52 and the forecast specifically says, "cold rain" expected.  Going out and buying 12 new outfits with shoes for the wedding isn't going to happen, for the boys -not such a big deal, dockers, long sleeve dress shirt, coat. But for the girls? I don't think we have dressy dresses for fall.  I've never thought much of it.  We have winter dresses (heavier and darker colors) and we have summery lightweight dresses.  In the winter, we'd normally wear opaque hose, but that feels wrong for October?!  At the same time, they're going to freeze.  My bil (who we adore and is thoughtful) texted to say, "Don't forget raingear for the kids." What raingear?  DS has fishing rain gear.  So what in the world can we do on the fly to protect from getting soaked without buying raingear for 12 to be used ONCE?!     For the life of me, I'm trying to figure this out - suggestions?  These are people we genuinely adore.  Do we just accept that we are going to get soaked and freeze and take extra clothes? I lock up when I get cold and shiver - it's a severe spasticity issue.  Truly, I don't know if I can attend the wedding and I just know people will feel hurt and it makes me feel a little sick to know it. 😞

I think it is perfectly fine to just layer up what you have and go darker colors.   Tights, sweaters, layers, etc.  It's a hard time of year - could be 80 could be 30 in the upper midwest.  

Do you have umbrellas?  Do you have prime?  You can get cheap pullover ponchos for not much.  Given the conditions, I wouldn't worry too hard about the esthetic.  

https://www.amazon.com/COOY-Drawstring-Emergency-Disposable-Disneyland/dp/B07FMF5SPC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=poncho&qid=1601416194&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzMllKTEZNME84Sk1IJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTA5NTU2MTBVWTI5T09JVEhQSiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDQwOTg5MkNQQ1BINVdPSkZMUiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

ETA If you have to bow out early, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  Maybe even give the host a heads up that cold may cause physical issues for you.   

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 4

Definitely bring 1-2 changes of clothes.

Do you all have puffy jackets at least?  They tend to be at least water repellent.  And definitely umbrellas all around.  A water repellent jacket will saturate mostly at the shoulders and upper back in a typical rainstorm, so umbrellas are the best bet.

In my world, I’d put out an APB for rain gear to borrow.  My friends would step up and we would piece it together.   So the outerwear would be borrowed rather than purchased if we didn’t have it.  

Can the girls dress up a winter dress with light colored scarves or ropey jewelry to look more like Fall?  Maybe invest in harvest themed scarves for this?  And then boots would go well or any closed shoes.

I lock up in the cold too so I send commiseration.

Outdoors but will they have any cover for the rain?  Like a big tent or canopys?  Can you wear the nice clothes but each take an umbrella?  Or will the rain be blowing around? 

It's not very pretty but clear rain ponchos are very inexpensive.  https://www.amazon.com/Ginmic-Ponchos-Family-Pack-Backpacking/dp/B07DXFV255/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Clear+Rain+Poncho&qid=1601416378&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Juvale-Count-Adults-Rain-Ponchos/dp/B018THPISO/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=Clear+Rain+Poncho&qid=1601416378&sr=8-8

If the winter dresses fit and are warm enough I would have the girls wear those.  I would wear a sweater, gloves, anything I needed to keep warm enough to be there. 

• Like 7

I wouldn’t buy anything. Can you wear what you’d planned to and just wear a coat over it? Maybe wear some leggings under the dresses and swap dress shoes for socks and boots? Perhaps a clear plastic poncho over everything and carry umbrellas? Looking cute just got tossed out the window and nobody is going to buy wedding-appropriate outdoor gear for this. The people who planned the wedding really should have a plan in place for keeping guests dry if it rains. 

I think with a forecast of 52 and cold rain I would throw the idea of dress clothes out the window! I'm thinking any kind of long skirt/dress/ pants with a sweater and a jacket. Surely no one would expect you to be all dressy in those conditions? 

Is the reception inside or the whole thing is outside?  I think I'd dress however I would to go to a corn maze or pumpkin patch at Halloween 🙂

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 5

You don't have to match the season with your clothes, you need to match the weather. Your last sentence seems to indicate you're considering not attending a wedding you're willing and able to attend over not having dresses of certain hues. You need winter weight dresses and hose for winter temperatures and you have them.  I'd have my kids wear winter dresses and coats, a clear inexpensive poncho, and galoshes.  I'd definitely take a change of winter clothes for everyone too.

• Like 6

I think the clothes that you already have will be fine for the girls. Wear the dresses that are winter-weight, with tights. Or wear the lighter weight dresses, but layer a sweater on top and wear tights. Don't worry about doing the same thing for all of the girls -- some might wear summer dresses, and some might wear winter ones.

I think it's okay for you to wear pants and a nice sweater or top. I'm sure your relatives would rather you be there and be bundled up, instead of having to skip it.

I agree that it's an awkward weather situation. I always would feel that way around Easter -- I wanted something lighter colored for spring, but it still needed to be warm, due to the weather. If you think about what you might wear for Easter, would it help?

I agree with others who suggest clear plastic ponchos for the rain gear.

• Like 5

It sounds like the wedding and reception are both outside? The last time I went to a wedding like that the dress ranged from very casual (think clothes for a hike on a cool day with a light rain) to church clothes to nightclub clothes (super high heels and very, very short dresses). I wouldn’t buy anything except possibly the disposable ponchos some have mentioned. Comfort and warmth should be the first priorities if it is all outside.

Outdoor event, cold rain...  forget what you look like and dress the kids warmly.  The call for rain gear means it's fine to put them in brightly colored plastic!  Put them in layers so that they can strip off if the sun comes out or they get hot dancing.  Cheap ponchos or nylon raincoats are fine.  Leggings under dresses are fine.  I'm sure your presence will be more important to them than what you wear.

As for you, It's perfectly okay to put on leggings, long underwear, wool or corduroy pants in a dark color, wear long underwear, a button down blouse (in silk or satin if you have it, cotton if not), and a wool sweater on top. If in doubt, dark colors look more formal.  Then have (but don't wear unless necessary) a coat to layer on too.  Formal jewelry and a nice blanket scarf (or actual pretty wool blanket in a lap throw size) can be layered on top to make you look more formal.

Consider bringing extra blankets and a thermos of whatever hot drink you prefer in your car.  Warm drinks with layers of wool clothing can go a long way to warm you up on a cold rainy day.  Maybe even ugly fleece lined snow boots to help you warm up.  If the bride makes a face apologetically say you're sorry your body just can't handle cold any more.

If in doubt, warm up.  If you get so cold you seize up, leave early and take a hot bath.  It might take days to feel like yourself again.

• Like 2

I would wear jeans and a sweater and boots- nice looking but still warm.  I would also take extra clothes and shoes for all.  Bundle up, take gloves for you at least,  and a few blankets to throw over your legs.  

Also, is there an inside area you can go to warm up?  Be sure to ask!  

• Like 1

I would get some Hot Hands warmers and some for feet too! Do you have any portable warmers for yourself that don't need electricity to run or that could be pre-charged? I would be considering things like hot packs made for injuries--some are clay and can be microwaved. If you wrapped them carefully, those Pyrex warmers that go inside the portable carriers could work. You can stash a variety of things inside some lap blankets.

Leggings under skirts? 

• Like 1