Menu

Favorite “educational” board game for the 6-10 crowd?

21 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Rummikub

Qwirkle

Skip-Bo

Oddly - we own all of these and I have never played Rummikub!  We do need to play Qwirkle more. :/ I think William (6yo) would like it.

19 hours ago, Kareni said:

Some games that promote logical thinking that we like ~

Quarto (this is a two player game)

Iota

SET

The Logic Links boxed set of puzzles.  That link is here.

Regards,

Kareni

Quarto has been in my Amazon cart for later! I haven't seen Iota, so thank you for that.  My older group loved SET but I haven't taught the middles to play it!  ❤️ Thank you!

19 hours ago, Noreen Claire said:

We are big fans of Kingdomino and Prime Climb here.

I LOVE Kingdomino and Queendomino.  The kids play Prime Climb but I'm ashamed to admit I haven't learned it! Maybe today would be good.  I'm vowing to spend more time on games this winter!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Oddly - we own all of these and I have never played Rummikub!  We do need to play Qwirkle more. 😕 I think William (6yo) would like it.

Quarto has been in my Amazon cart for later! I haven't seen Iota, so thank you for that.  My older group loved SET but I haven't taught the middles to play it!  ❤️ Thank you!

I LOVE Kingdomino and Queendomino.  The kids play Prime Climb but I'm ashamed to admit I haven't learned it! Maybe today would be good.  I'm vowing to spend more time on games this winter!

We love Rummikub. The one concession we make for ages -- when they can not easily add up to 30, we allow them to go down with any legal triplet in their hand instead of needing to have accumulate 30 points worth of tiles first.

• Like 1

I am trying to incorporate games into my geography study with my younger girls (10 and 6) this year. We are starting with Africa. What I have collected so far for Africa: Ticket to Ride Heart of Africa map, Carcassonne Safari, Borderline Africa, 10 Days in Africa, and Camel Up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Garden Game is awesome if you can find it.  It’s OOP.

Harvest Time is sweet—cooperative game from Family Pastimes

Ditto Walk in the Woods.

Up the River (Ravensburger) is not educational but is strangely compelling

So is Sorry

When they all know some world history, “Perspectives” is a time line game that is great.  Equate is kind of like math scrabble, too hard for a 6YO though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

We played this game quite a bit when my daughter was younger. It never mattered what my husband did; he could NEVER win. He grew to dislike it, but my daughter didn't!

Regards,

Kareni

• Haha 1

Have you already tried Catan Jr?

There are some shorter Ticket to Ride versions. They might get bored with the Jr but who knows. Given that they're fine with Carcassone, they should be fine with this https://www.target.com/p/ticket-to-ride-board-game/-/A-14204015?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012732838&CPNG=PLA_Toys%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Toys&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9014895&targetid=pla-691112647197&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckCyeR1TZfymtTZt2A0S-ImVzpec5X-0QJ0_cd-9bIpvFkDvWPTI-UVxoCV4AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  It's the America map for T2R. If necessary, they can have paper to write their plans, hehe.

On 10/14/2020 at 12:04 PM, PeterPan said:

Have you already tried Catan Jr?

There are some shorter Ticket to Ride versions. They might get bored with the Jr but who knows. Given that they're fine with Carcassone, they should be fine with this https://www.target.com/p/ticket-to-ride-board-game/-/A-14204015?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012732838&CPNG=PLA_Toys%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Toys&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9014895&targetid=pla-691112647197&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckCyeR1TZfymtTZt2A0S-ImVzpec5X-0QJ0_cd-9bIpvFkDvWPTI-UVxoCV4AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  It's the America map for T2R. If necessary, they can have paper to write their plans, hehe.

We have Catan JR and a couple versions TTR. Do I admit I don’t love Catan and I actually dislike Catan JR? If you like gaming, and like Catan, level up to Agricola and I suspect it will ruin Catan for you, lol... 

I can’t figure out why I don’t love the junior version of Catan.It moves slowly? Maybe... the 9yo and 10yo like and can play Stone Age. I recommend it, but not the 6yo and 7yo. I do love TTR!

On 9/30/2020 at 9:18 AM, Heigh Ho said:

Mille Bornes

Looking this up!

On 10/12/2020 at 11:15 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

The Garden Game is awesome if you can find it.  It’s OOP.

Harvest Time is sweet—cooperative game from Family Pastimes

Ditto Walk in the Woods.

So is Sorry

When they all know some world history, “Perspectives” is a time line game that is great.  Equate is kind of like math scrabble, too hard for a 6YO though.

Oddly, I haven’t heard of any of these!! (Excited.)

• Like 2