Menu

Computer science puzzle books/websites?

Thanks, @OneThoughtMayHideAnother! I will take a look at those.

For context: My 11yo tried the sample meet from CML's Computer Science for grades 6-8 and was discouraged because she couldn't figure a couple of them out. (She did understand once we walked her through how to solve them, and I pointed out that it's for grades 6-8 and she's on the young end of that range.) So what I'm hoping for is some exposure to puzzle-type things to build both her flexible thinking and her confidence. Not necessarily for competition purposes - she hasn't even decided if she wants to sign up - but because I think that will benefit her by improving her ability to think through problems she encounters in coding her own projects.

(In case anyone is looking at these - the samples for those and some other tests aren't on the website, but I contacted CML and they were happy to email me samples.)

13 minutes ago, OneThoughtMayHideAnother said:

Aah, got it. Sounds like your girl is already doing great if she can solve some problems and understand the solutions to the remaining ones! I'm not sure if you're free to share the sample you got from them, but if you could give me an idea of what sort of problems are on that test, I will try to think of stuff of similar difficulty, or leading up to that level. Although if they have a book of tests for that age group, I'm thinking it'd probably be best to just get it and slowly go through the problems there.

I've never looked into CML before, BTW, but it looks interesting. Is this something homeschoolers can sign up for?

PMed you with the sample. The books they have for sale are just for math, not CS. 

And yes, homeschoolers can do CML very easily! If you sign up for an account and then contact them to let them know you're a homeschooler, they will note it on your account and you'll get lower prices on each contest, since you're buying for individuals rather than teams. 🙂