Menu

If you were a Social Security Card...

mlktwins

where would you be?!?!?  I need it for tomorrow morning (license renewal to REAL ID) and I can't find it 🤦‍♀️!  I can't remember the last time I used it even.  I thought it was in my wallet, but no go.  I've spent the day looking and even went to the bank to go in the safe deposit box.  Not there either.

Just now, Martha in GA said:

We keep ours in our fireproof box in our closet...Do you have a place you keep important papers like birth certificates, marriage license, passports...

Yes, I have triple checked that.  My boys' aren't in there either so I'm hoping it is with theirs.  I'm looking for their envelopes now.  It is somewhere in this house.  Hubby's was in his wallet, where I'm not sure you are supposed to be carrying it.  I had mine there too until I took it out.  

By the phone or computer? (had to confirm something with Soc. Sec. #?
Between the chair/couch cushions? (fell off your lap from using Soc. Sec # when using the laptop, and slid into the cushion cracks?)
Folder of tax info from filing?
Fire safe? (we have a small one in our closet for storing important documents)

Edited by Lori D.

This won't help for tomorrow, but you can request a new copy of the card. You would have to change your date for getting your new ID and wait for it to arrive.

Also, if you just can't find it, look through the documents that are allowed to be used to get a REAL ID and see if there is an alternate document that you can take. Our state has several choices that they will accept to prove identity.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

This won't help for tomorrow, but you can request a new copy of the card. You would have to change your date for getting your new ID and wait for it to arrive.

Also, if you just can't find it, look through the documents that are allowed to be used to get a REAL ID and see if there is an alternate document that you can take. Our state has several choices that they will accept to prove identity.

I will look at the list again.  A W-2 would be nice, but I haven't worked a paying job since my twins were born.

OP here!  If you could see ALL THE PAPER at my house right now!!!  I am dying from too much paper!!!!

I cleaned out my dad's house and am still going through all his old papers.  I haven't gotten to keep mine in order dealing with his stuff and now DH is starting to bring over some of his parents to go through.  😝

This is my winter quarantine project!!!

I do appreciate all the tips and ideas!  When I find it, I will let you know where it was -- LOL!

• Like 3

Do you have a safe deposit box at a bank?  Mine are in a Manila folder (everyone has their own) with SS card, passport, notarized birth certificate.  Good luck!  I really hate it when I lose stuff.  My best advice, sit down and take a break and think about something else for a bit and it might come to you.  When I get in a frenzy, I don’t find things well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

OP here!  If you could see ALL THE PAPER at my house right now!!!  I am dying from too much paper!!!!

I cleaned out my dad's house and am still going through all his old papers.  I haven't gotten to keep mine in order dealing with his stuff and now DH is starting to bring over some of his parents to go through.  😝

This is my winter quarantine project!!!

I do appreciate all the tips and ideas!  When I find it, I will let you know where it was -- LOL!

What ever happened to that promise of a paperless society with the advent of computers???  It never happened over here.

5 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

Do you have a safe deposit box at a bank?  Mine are in a Manila folder (everyone has their own) with SS card, passport, notarized birth certificate.  Good luck!  I really hate it when I lose stuff.  My best advice, sit down and take a break and think about something else for a bit and it might come to you.  When I get in a frenzy, I don’t find things well.

I went to the bank after lunch to go through the box :-(.  My boys' envelopes with their SSA cards and birth certificates aren't there either :-(.  I was sure there were here at home, but I went to check anyway.  I don't usually lose stuff like this so it is driving me nuts.  

6 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

What ever happened to that promise of a paperless society with the advent of computers???  It never happened over here.

I don't know!  I'm drowning in it!  After going through a ton of papers today alone, I can tell you I will have a lot less of it by spring!!!  Probably should buy a back-up shredder!  I'm not coming out of this pandemic with this crap still in my house -- LOL.

• Haha 4

In an old wallet?  Have you started any new employment in recent years where you might have needed it?I kk

I typically kept ours in safety deposit, but about the time my kids were the ages of yours, I started expandable files for them that we call Important Papers Files and got them in the habit of using them. They're pretty good about it. (I'm prone to misplacing things !)

Well, DH is the Keeper of the Important Documents, so all of our social security cards are neatly filed in a folder labeled "Important Documents,' tucked away inside a lockbox.  

If I were in charge of important household documents, however, the card would be stuck inside my passport, which would be jammed in a drawer.  Obviously, this is why I am not in charge.

I feel for you, OP!  Definitely let us know when you find it.

I still have not found it and went and came home from the DMV.  I have another appointment to go back at 10:45 -- LOL!!! 

So...they would not accept my tax return in lieu of my SSA card.  And...I had my old SSA card with my maiden name and the stub showing my married name, but not the actual card.  A marriage license would have worked (as evidence of the name change), but I didn't bring that.

Now...I will be going back with the marriage license, but I am also bringing my last W2 (the year the boys were born) that shows my current married name and my SSN.  They told me to bring it so hopefully it is a go :-).  I'm sharing this so maybe this will help someone else getting their REAL ID.  I was just going to get the regular license and deal with the other car thing I was doing there, but hubby didn't sign one of the places he needed to sign so I am going back for both things.  Is it 5 o'clock yet?  Maybe chocolate will have to do until then -- LOL.

I am going to order a new card just in case -- that is when I will find my old one though.

What a PITA -- LOL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1