Menu

Sonoma/Napa county fires check in

MEmama

My parents were evacuated late last night. All I know is that the whole ridge behind them was burning when they left. A photo in their local paper showed houses in a nearby subdivision in flames. 😞

I’m feeling sick with worry and helpless that we can’t take them in. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

My parents were evacuated late last night. All I know is that the whole ridge behind them was burning when they left. A photo in their local paper showed houses in a nearby subdivision in flames. 😞

I’m feeling sick with worry and helpless that we can’t take them in. 

I hope they and their place are safe 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

I know fire updates are usually @Arcadia’s domain lol, but it’s early and I just got word about the latest outbreak of fires.

Just when the two Lightning Complexes (SCU & CZU) near me are almost fully contained *sigh* We are on red flag warning today as well as yesterday.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/calistoga-st-helena-deer-park-wildfire-evacuations-15600692.php

“Update, 10:30 p.m.: Parts of Santa Rosa received evacuation orders as multiple wildfires spread Sunday night: Calistoga North, Calistoga South, and Pythian. For updated evacuation information in Santa Rosa, see this link.

9:15 p.m.: Two new blazes, believed to be spot fires of the Glass Fire, were reported by officials near the Napa-Sonoma county line: The Shady Fire and Boysen Fire, west of St. Helena.  An evacuation was ordered for the St. Helena Road and Los Alamos Road area.

The fires were moving quickly southwest toward Santa Rosa. The city of Santa Rosa on Sunday night urged residents in the Rincon Valley, Skyhawk and Los Alamos Areas to review evacuation information at this link.

7:30 p.m.: The Glass Fire has grown to 2,500 acres with zero containment, Cal Fire said.

5:11 p.m.: Cal Fire reports the blaze has expanded to 1,500 acres, with an additional evacuation warning issued from Howell Mountain to Taplin Road, also on the east side of Silverado Trail.

The Glass Fire began around 4 a.m. on the 200 block of North Fork Crystal Springs Road in Deer Park. Napa County Sheriff's Office has issued an evacuation order along the east side of Silverado Trail from Lommel Road to Pickett Road. All residents along Crystal Springs Road and North Fork Crystal Springs Road must leave immediately, and the entire community of Deer Park, including Sanitarium Road, is also under an evacuation order. Parts of Angwin are also under evacuation orders.

As evacuation orders change quickly, please check the County of Napa social media for the most up-to-date information. You can also sign up for Nixle alerts issued by Napa County here. A map of road closures can be found here.”

ETA: @Chrysalis Academy@sassenach

Edited by Arcadia
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Sonoma Sheriff posts on Facebook 

“9/28 1:40AM (español abajo) View from Calistoga Road looking towards St. Helena Road. This fire is moving fast! It’s extremely smoky and difficult to see. The fire is still headed west and south - it just crossed Highway 12 and is in Oakmont.

Please heed evacuation orders!! 
#ShadyFire #BoysenFire“

Post on Nixle at 2:08am https://local.nixle.com/alert/8268304/?fbclid=IwAR0-beiOqRGc1goC8DuKsJQLONQvHbkEHUhL5DESjLbxUx0xP49xKsUoBLA

“There are multiple fires on Los Alamos Road and St Helena Road. This is an EVACUATION ORDER for the following zones:   
Zone 6A2: 
Southwest of Highway 12 
East and north of Warm Springs Road 
Northwest of Arnold Drive 

Zone 6B3: 
Northeast of Highway 12 
Southeast of Nuns Canyon Road/Nelligan Road 
Southwest of Napa/Sonoma County Line 
Northwest of Trinity Road 

If you are in this area, calmly and quickly evacuate now. Please, head east on Highway 12 towards Sonoma. Highway 12 westbound is gridlocked. Check with your neighbors to ensure they know about this order if you have time. First responders are going door to door to assist people. 

Go to socoemergency.org or call 2-1-1 if you have any questions.  View the interactive evacuation map and search your address at https://arcg.is/0buuL1. If you need help evacuating animals, call 707-861-0699 (Sonoma CART). If you need help evacuating livestock, call 707-234-7193 (NorCal Livestock Evac). 

This area is referenced as zone 6A2 and 6B3 in the attached map. Future orders will reference this map as well. 

If you feel unsafe, evacuate.”

4:34am https://local.nixle.com/alert/8268424/?fbclid=IwAR3O39w-SX2ouPOUDpZ25fqZ5J8RSwUSCVwRUiAE8oIlThAZCMSy_KOZRUI

“There are multiple fires on Los Alamos Road and St Helena Road. This is an EVACUATION ORDER for the following zone: 
Zone 2Q1: 
North of St. Helena Road 
East of Calistoga Road/Petrified Forest Road 
Southwest of the Napa/Sonoma County line 

If you are in this zone, calmly and quickly evacuate now. Check with your neighbors to ensure they know about this order if you have time. First responders are going door to door to assist people.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

I know fire updates are usually @Arcadia’s domain lol, but it’s early and I just got word about the latest outbreak of fires.

Sonoma and Napa county friends—is everyone safe? Please check in when you can (and everyone affected by any fire, of course!). ❤️

Thanks for mentioning this. I usually don't have much time in the morning to check on news but I had a bad feeling fires would be starting with this dry, hot wind we've been having.

We have family in Santa Rosa and area as well and friends in Napa.

• Sad 3

I took my son up to SR for an appointment on Thursday and was shocked to see a fire right near the Kmart that burned down. The fire was nearly at the freeway and they had tankers dropping retardant on it. I think they got that one out but it was jarring to see a fire right where the Tubbs burned through. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/09/28/paradise-evacuation-warning-north-complex-fire/

“BUTTE COUNTY (CBS13) — The entire town of Paradise is once again under evacuation warnings as the North Complex Fire started to resurge Sunday night.

New evacuation orders were issued for several areas on Sunday, including: Pulga, Big Bend, Yankee Hill and Concow.

Evacuation warnings were also issued by the Butte County Sheriff’s Office for the areas of Stirling City, Magalia, and Clark Road from Paradise south to Highway 70, east to Lake Oroville, including Pentz Road from Paradise south to Highway 70.

Parts of Paradise, which was ravaged by the Camp Fire back in 2018, were also given evacuation warnings early in September when the North Complex Fire saw another resurgence.

As of the latest update Sunday evening, the North Complex Fire has burned 305,188 acres.”

@MEmama some better news on Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/shadyfire?lang=en

“10m

#ShadyFire The 5 civilians that were trapped have been RESCUED via ground transport via the SoCo side of Spring Mtn Trail. There is at least one injury but everyone should be OK.”

“@NWSBayArea

9m

Updated smoke forecast for today. Note that elevated smoke from the active #GlassFire, #ShadyFire, & #BoysenFire begins to steer towards the north later in the day. Expecting a gradual return of onshore winds later this evening, which should help with firefighting efforts.#Cawx”

“6h

That got sketchy fast. We followed the senior home bus out and #ShadyFire spotted probably more than mile ahead of flames on ridge. Fire on both sides of Highway 12. Bus did not stop and we made it through. Evacuated to Vet Auditorium.

@sfchronicle

Five bus loads were successfully evacuated”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Shady fire is burning the southeastern edges of Santa Rosa. I'm watching footage of houses right across my dd's bf's high school on fire. They evacuated last night. We're north and east of the evacuation zones but watching it closely. From what I can see the main fire action is in the area exactly between where the Tubbs and Nunn fires burned in 2017. Which makes sense. Lots of fuel out there. These neighborhoods are exactly where we've been looking to buy a house. That plan is now off the table.

• Sad 9

Maria Carrillo high school. The houses that are burning are the ones across Calistoga Road east of Maria Carrillo, the ones that back up to Annandel State Park and the other open space. Houses on Beaumont Way and Vaughn Ct have burned. The Skyhawk community has lost at least a dozen houses too.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Chrysalis Academy said:

The Shady fire is burning the southeastern edges of Santa Rosa. I'm watching footage of houses right across my dd's bf's high school on fire. They evacuated last night. We're north and east of the evacuation zones but watching it closely. From what I can see the main fire action is in the area exactly between where the Tubbs and Nunn fires burned in 2017. Which makes sense. Lots of fuel out there. These neighborhoods are exactly where we've been looking to buy a house. That plan is now off the table.

I love that area. This is so sad.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MEmama said:

Theirs is the Shady Fire. 
Last night they slept in a park, probably safer than an evacuation center.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SantaRosaFire/status/1310618990310338569

“The #ShadyFire is now part of the #GlassFire aka #GlassIncident. More info and updates from the City of Santa Rosa is available at: http://SRCity.org/GlassFire

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/PGE_Deanna/status/1310609559053099008

"@PGE_Deanna

UPDATE: Approximately 37K outages due to #GlassFire #ShadyFire #BoysonFire –power out due to fire damage or requests from first responders to turn off power for safety. Customers advised to heed evacuation orders. Please put your safety first – high/low siren, time to go.

8:57 AM · Sep 28, 2020"

• Like 1

https://mobile.twitter.com/KTVU/status/1310743008254373888

@KTVU
#GlassFire Updates: - The wildfire up from 11K acres to 36K acres - Though winds have died down firefighters still having difficulty with containment, which is still at 0% - 1,000 firefighters on the ground. - 68K people evacuated in Sonoma County, 11K evacuated in Napa County

5:47 PM
  • Like 1

http://nixle.us/C8AS2

"Monday September 28th, 2020 :: 06:21 p.m. PDT

Entire City of Calistoga Now Under Mandatory Evacuation Order

The City of Calistoga in coordination with the County of Napa has issued a mandatory evacuation order for the entire City. Stay tuned to City and County Nixle alerts for additional information. Current open evacuation routes include Route 29 South and North, and 128 North. If seeking shelter at a County Evacuation facility please proceed to Crosswalk Church at 2590 First Street, Napa. This shelter practices all Covid-19 mitigation measures so please bring/wear your mask and other appropriate materials (I.e. hand sanitizer) At this time there has been no damage or loss within the City limits but significant damage has occurred in the surrounding area. CalFire, Napa County Fire, and the Calistoga Fire Department are working the fire situation closely. We will continue to update residents via Nixle on a regular basis."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I saw the photos and videos on Twitter with hashtag #glassfire and they were devastating. We have a series of mild earthquakes at Milpitas yesterday and today, and Xfinity has been having outages as well. 

• Sad 1

I just got word last night that two of my parents neighbors either properties and/ or houses burned. The hillside is charred. I think their house has made it so far thanks to fast acting crews who created a massive firebreak.

My folks are safe though, and have a place to stay for as long as they need. I am so grateful my mom has place where she can rest.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

@MEmama Does your parents have any mask for wildfire smoke? I could smell the smoke when we were driving from Fremont to Milpitas. 

https://abc7news.com/map-shows-wineries-landmarks-destroyed-in-glass-fire/6655733/

"While the fire is far from contained, we're already starting to assess the damage left behind. Use the interactive map below to see the wineries, hotels and other Napa Valley businesses that were either destroyed or damaged in the wildfire.

Having trouble viewing the map? Click here to open it in a new window.
As of Thursday, at least 145 homes in Napa and Sonoma counties were destroyed and another 46 were damaged.

Here's what we know about the wineries, vineyards and hotels damaged:

• Barlow Vineyards: The vineyard lost a lot of equipment, but their property is safe, they said on Facebook.
  • Barnett Vineyards: "The property was hit mainly in the vineyards, our storage shed and our deck. We fought off the fire from the winery and residence," the vineyard said on Instagram.
  • Behrens Family Winery: The main winery burned to the ground, reports the San Francisco Chronicle.
  • Black Rock Inn: The Silverado Trail establishment was confirmed destroyed.
  • Burgess Cellars: This Deer Park winery also sustained heavy damage.
  • Cain Vineyard & Winery: The winery confirmed on Instagram that it sustained major damage, but took solace its wine survived because it was stored in a facility in south Napa.
  • Calistoga Ranch: State Senator Bill Dodd tweeted pictures of the destroyed luxury resort.
  • Castello di Amorosa:: While the iconic castle at this popular tourist attraction survived, the winery lost a critical storage building that housed thousands of bottles of wine. The owner also confirmed to ABC7 News that their lab and offices were also destroyed.
  • Chateau Boswell Winery in St. Helena: The winery was destroyed on the first night of the Glass Fire.
  • Fairwinds Estate Winery: ABC7 News visited the remains of this winery, which suffered major damage
  • The Glass Mountain Inn in St. Helena: The bed and breakfast was destroyed.
  • Kelly Fleming Wines: The estate suffered some damage, the winery said on Facebook, but the stone winery, vines and 2020 vintage (which was already in barrel) were all spared.
  • Hourglass Winery: The winery confirmed on Instagram that most of its Blueline Estate was destroyed in the fire. "Our Blueline Estate was unfortunately in nature's furious path. The loss will take some time to settle in."
  • Hunnicutt Wine Company: The winery confirmed on its website that the property sustained some damage: "While the Glass Fire did reach our property and caused significant structural damage, we are grateful for the amazing fire crews who protected the main building and kept our cave as secure as ever."
  • Meadowood Napa Valley and its Michelin-starred Restaurant at Meadowood: Firefighters were initially able to stop the fire from destroying the restaurant, but the blaze damaged the water tanks that firefighters were using to fight the fire and then they ran out of water.
  • Merus Wines: "Despite suffering some damage throughout the estate, our main building, the heart and soul of our operations, is still standing," the winery said on Facebook.
  • Newton Vineyard: On Instagram, the vineyard confirmed its property was "significantly impacted."
  • Phifer Pavitt Wine: The winery is still standing, but the vineyard and home on property were badly damaged.
  • School House Vineyard: The vineyard sustained some damage.
  • Spring Mountain Vineyard: The vineyard confirmed on its website that the fire "swept through the entire property, essentially vaporized most of our historic buildings that date back over a century." However, they were able to save the main winery, wine caves, and the Miravalle Mansion.
  • Sterling Vineyards: ABC7 News visited the vineyard and while the majority of the property survived, some tanks and exterior structures sustained damage.
  • Tofanelli Vineyards: The vineyard in Calistoga was damaged.

The fire is burning in an area untouched by the LNU Lightning Complex fires that started in August. (You can see the burn area of the LNU fires east of the Glass Fire in the map below). It's also an area that was spared by 2017's devastating fire season.

"The footprint of this fire has occurred in between the 2017 Tubbs, Nuns and Adobe fires," said CAL FIRE incident commander Billy See in a press conference Tuesday. "This land has no fire history that's recorded. This burned in all the acreage that was saved in 2017."

The interactive map below shows the size and scope of the Glass Fire's burn scar so far.

Note: The boundaries are provided by CAL FIRE, and may not be precise. The acres burned and containment are also updated as CAL FIRE releases new information.
More than 26,000 structures are still threatened by the fire, according to CAL FIRE."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

@MEmama Does your parents have any mask for wildfire smoke? I could smell the smoke when we were driving from Fremont to Milpitas. 

https://abc7news.com/map-shows-wineries-landmarks-destroyed-in-glass-fire/6655733/

"While the fire is far from contained, we're already starting to assess the damage left behind. Use the interactive map below to see the wineries, hotels and other Napa Valley businesses that were either destroyed or damaged in the wildfire.

As of Thursday, at least 145 homes in Napa and Sonoma counties were destroyed and another 46 were damaged.

Here's what we know about the wineries, vineyards and hotels damaged:

•  
  • Barlow Vineyards: The vineyard lost a lot of equipment, but their property is safe, they said on Facebook.
  • Barnett Vineyards: "The property was hit mainly in the vineyards, our storage shed and our deck. We fought off the fire from the winery and residence," the vineyard said on Instagram.
  • Behrens Family Winery: The main winery burned to the ground, reports the San Francisco Chronicle.
  • Black Rock Inn: The Silverado Trail establishment was confirmed destroyed.
  • Burgess Cellars: This Deer Park winery also sustained heavy damage.
  • Cain Vineyard & Winery: The winery confirmed on Instagram that it sustained major damage, but took solace its wine survived because it was stored in a facility in south Napa.
  • Calistoga Ranch: State Senator Bill Dodd tweeted pictures of the destroyed luxury resort.
  • Castello di Amorosa:: While the iconic castle at this popular tourist attraction survived, the winery lost a critical storage building that housed thousands of bottles of wine. The owner also confirmed to ABC7 News that their lab and offices were also destroyed.
  • Chateau Boswell Winery in St. Helena: The winery was destroyed on the first night of the Glass Fire.
  • Fairwinds Estate Winery: ABC7 News visited the remains of this winery, which suffered major damage
  • The Glass Mountain Inn in St. Helena: The bed and breakfast was destroyed.
  • Kelly Fleming Wines: The estate suffered some damage, the winery said on Facebook, but the stone winery, vines and 2020 vintage (which was already in barrel) were all spared.
  • Hourglass Winery: The winery confirmed on Instagram that most of its Blueline Estate was destroyed in the fire. "Our Blueline Estate was unfortunately in nature's furious path. The loss will take some time to settle in."
  • Hunnicutt Wine Company: The winery confirmed on its website that the property sustained some damage: "While the Glass Fire did reach our property and caused significant structural damage, we are grateful for the amazing fire crews who protected the main building and kept our cave as secure as ever."
  • Meadowood Napa Valley and its Michelin-starred Restaurant at Meadowood: Firefighters were initially able to stop the fire from destroying the restaurant, but the blaze damaged the water tanks that firefighters were using to fight the fire and then they ran out of water.
  • Merus Wines: "Despite suffering some damage throughout the estate, our main building, the heart and soul of our operations, is still standing," the winery said on Facebook.
  • Newton Vineyard: On Instagram, the vineyard confirmed its property was "significantly impacted."
  • Phifer Pavitt Wine: The winery is still standing, but the vineyard and home on property were badly damaged.
  • School House Vineyard: The vineyard sustained some damage.
  • Spring Mountain Vineyard: The vineyard confirmed on its website that the fire "swept through the entire property, essentially vaporized most of our historic buildings that date back over a century." However, they were able to save the main winery, wine caves, and the Miravalle Mansion.
  • Sterling Vineyards: ABC7 News visited the vineyard and while the majority of the property survived, some tanks and exterior structures sustained damage.
  • Tofanelli Vineyards: The vineyard in Calistoga was damaged.

The fire is burning in an area untouched by the LNU Lightning Complex fires that started in August. (You can see the burn area of the LNU fires east of the Glass Fire in the map below). It's also an area that was spared by 2017's devastating fire season.

"The footprint of this fire has occurred in between the 2017 Tubbs, Nuns and Adobe fires," said CAL FIRE incident commander Billy See in a press conference Tuesday. "This land has no fire history that's recorded. This burned in all the acreage that was saved in 2017."

The interactive map below shows the size and scope of the Glass Fire's burn scar so far.

Note: The boundaries are provided by CAL FIRE, and may not be precise. The acres burned and containment are also updated as CAL FIRE releases new information.
More than 26,000 structures are still threatened by the fire, according to CAL FIRE."

So sad 😞 

Turns out all of their neighbors on their cul de sac have burned properties. All the houses, including my parents, were literally saved by a new neighbor who stayed behind. He, the fire department and helicopter water drops are still putting out hotspots and flare ups.

This neighbor spent a full decade building an enormous estate and vineyard behind my parents house. Because of the rugged terrain he had to build a bridge over the creek that could withstand fire trucks and install fire hydrants on his property. They just moved in this spring. And he literally saved them all. I have no words.

For now my folks are ok, but there are still flare ups on the property and the town where they are staying is now in danger. So the saga continues. 

I hope everyone is staying safe. I appreciate reading all the updates. 

• Like 8

CalFire post on Facebook 

“Sonoma and Napa County has experienced many large and destructive wildfires. This map shows where the current #GlassFire is burning in relation to the 2017 Tubbs Fire. A stark reminder of the on-going dangers from wildfires.”

image.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MEmama said:

Turns out all of their neighbors on their cul de sac have burned properties. All the houses, including my parents, were literally saved by a new neighbor who stayed behind. He, the fire department and helicopter water drops are still putting out hotspots and flare ups.

This neighbor spent a full decade building an enormous estate and vineyard behind my parents house. Because of the rugged terrain he had to build a bridge over the creek that could withstand fire trucks and install fire hydrants on his property. They just moved in this spring. And he literally saved them all. I have no words.

For now my folks are ok, but there are still flare ups on the property and the town where they are staying is now in danger. So the saga continues. 

I hope everyone is staying safe. I appreciate reading all the updates. 

I’m so glad your folks property is ok!  Sorry so many lost their houses around them though will be hard for a while.  And I’m sorry it probably feels like this is not getting anywhere near the attention it deserves because of the way the world is right now.  I hope the communities are getting the help and support they need there.  Americans were incredibly supportive to us here over the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🙂 http://nixle.us/C8PM4
“Entered By: City of Calistoga

Entered On: Sunday October 4th, 2020 :: 05:56 p.m. PDT

Alert:

Repopulation Proceeding Orderly. Current Evacuation Status Downgraded to Warning

The City’s evacuation order was downgraded to a warning, effective at 3pm today. Residents are now able to return at their own risk. There is no imminent threat to the City of Calistoga. Active fire remains in areas of northern Napa County near Calistoga and smoke is visible.  

All roadways within city limits are free of debris and passable. When returning to Calistoga, please be aware that there are still utility and emergency service vehicles on the roads. Please be considerate and use extreme caution when driving to your home or place of business.  

Available routes of travel into Calistoga at this time include: Highway 29 north to Calistoga, Petrified Forest Road, and Highway 128 south to Calistoga.  If you require transportation from the Napa County evacuation shelters please call the Calistoga Police Department at 707-942-2810 to be placed on a list.”

ETA:

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

🙂 https://www.radio.com/knx1070/news/state/rancher-singlehandedly-saves-dozens-of-homes-from-glass-fire

A Sonoma County man is being hailed as a hero for singlehandedly saving dozens of homes threatened by the Glass Fire after he used his own bulldozer to create a two-mile long fire break.

Vinnie Martin is a rancher and grape grower who first learned to drive his family’s John Deere bulldozer when he was 14. That knowledge was put to good use on the evening of September 28.

In the mountainous terrain, he could see the flames headed towards his ranch.

"You could see it. It came right through those trees and it was heading over here for these trees," he said.

So he used his bulldozer to create a 12-foot-wide fire break around the ranch, including his home and barn.

"This was just to protect my house initially," he said. But once that was done, he just kept going. "I went out back and headed west and went all the way to Calistoga Road."

He kept going until he had cut a fire break that was two miles long, protecting the Gates Canyon community with more than 40 homes."

• Like 3

We were pretty on-edge up until today, friends had to evacuate and one's mother-in-law who lived up the hill lost her home. We had some pretty smoky days! But containment is up to 30% and most of the evacuation orders in Sonoma County are lifted. Napa County is still fighting hard but Calistoga got to go back home today. Praying for Thurs/Fri forecast of rain to come true!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Wow!  Fantastic news!  Getting containment without rain is a pretty big achievement.  

It is! Firefighters are our heroes! It's helped so much that (at least so far) this year we haven't had the very strong off-shore winds that pushed the fires so hard in 2017 and 2019, and we've had cooler weather too. But there are still a couple of monster fires in the state...containment is rising on those too.

• Like 1