Menu

So I got my first Happy Mask (odor related)

Lady Florida.

...and I really like it. I like the fit, the look, the adjustable ear straps (though I have other masks with those) and the fact that a filter is built in. But it has a weird odor that I can't quite describe. I don't know if it's the material, the filter, or something else. Has anyone else experienced this with a Happy Mask? Is it something that will go away with time or after it gets washed? It's not unbearable but it's definitely noticeable and weird. 

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

...and I really like it. I like the fit, the look, the adjustable ear straps (though I have other masks with those) and the fact that a filter is built in. But it has a weird odor that I can't quite describe. I don't know if it's the material, the filter, or something else. Has anyone else experienced this with a Happy Mask? Is it something that will go away with time or after it gets washed? It's not unbearable but it's definitely noticeable and weird. 

Oh no!  I have significant sensitivity to fragrance products and chemical odors and tend to air pretty much everything new at least briefly before I expose my breathing passages.

Having done so, I did not notice any odor at all from my HM.  That was a plus for it!  ( whereas I got a Totobobo that is still outgassing plastic odor.)  Nor did another relative with somewhat similar issues find HM to have odor.  We have basic models, both blue and black, and it could be that different batches have been different? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I have found that if I put mint lip balm on my lips before donning the mask, it smells all fresh and minty.  And lol, I did not find this out because I was trying to get rid of any odor, I just have dry lips and knew I couldn't put it on later if I felt the need. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's hard to describe. It almost seems like it's either a fabric smell or they coated the fabric in something.

Smell Both inside and out?  Maybe call them?

Is the inside yellow?  And is yours a pro pattern? I wonder if pro has an added coating beyond what basic had. 

I’m tagging @PeterPan who Iirc got both basic and pro - maybe she can comment on odors or odor differences if any between models or fabrics she got. 

Just now, Pen said:

Is the inside yellow?  And is yours a pro pattern? I wonder if pro has an added coating beyond what basic had. 

I’m tagging @PeterPan who Iirc got both basic and pro - maybe she can comment on odors or odor differences if any between models or fabrics she got. 

Yes, the inside is yellow and it's pro. I didn't see anything other than pro on the website. They had solid colors, which I bought, and patterned but all say pro.

6 minutes ago, Pen said:

We have the pros, and I haven't noticed any smell, but perhaps I'm not particularly sensitive.  And I do often put on lip balm... if you have a lip balm in a scent you like, give it a try!  The first time I put it on with a mask (not a Happy Mask but a different brand), I was wondering how they got the mask to have such a nice minty fresh smell, lol!

• Like 1

I suggest putting it outside in the sun to let it air out. I don't recall any of mine having an odor. I have some new ones still in the wrapper, so I can go check. It's more likely your shipping envelope was in a truck that had been recently exterminated/sprayed. I've had boxes arrive from various shippers over the year that were contaminated like this. It's a rare situation. If that's the case, the contamination should be water soluble. Wash gently, air dry in a warm place.

I'm not the manufacturer. Just saying for me, that's what I would do.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm back. I had 2 still in wrappers (actually 3) that I sniffed, and one new out of the wrapper that hasn't been worn about yet. There is a *slight* difference in odor between the black and blue, which I attribute to a difference in outer fabrics. Most fabric is treated with formaldehyde and other finishes, so it smells. 

If the smell you're smelling is *different* from a formaldehyde/fabric type smell, then I would assume it's contamination from shipping and wash. If it's mostly a fabric smell, then I would put it out in the sun, as the heat alone may take care of it. 

Have you wondered if you have chemical sensitivities or leaky gut? Sometimes it will improve noticeably with Florastor, which has evidence for improving the stuff that fixes leaky gut. So you could take Florastor for a week, wash/sun the mask, see where you're at.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

Is it a smoky smell?  I've gotten a couple items recently that smelled like wood smoke.  Are Happy Masks shipped from an area dealing with wildfires and related smoke?  If so, you'd think it would wash out. You could always call to ask about the smell. The customer service lady is very pleasant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, I'm back. I had 2 still in wrappers (actually 3) that I sniffed, and one new out of the wrapper that hasn't been worn about yet. There is a *slight* difference in odor between the black and blue, which I attribute to a difference in outer fabrics. Most fabric is treated with formaldehyde and other finishes, so it smells. 

If the smell you're smelling is *different* from a formaldehyde/fabric type smell, then I would assume it's contamination from shipping and wash. If it's mostly a fabric smell, then I would put it out in the sun, as the heat alone may take care of it. 

Now I'm curious which one you thought had more of an odor. I have the blue one. I didn't actually notice anything when I took it out of the wrapper. It wasn't until I wore it that the smell came through. I had to run out today for a few errands and it seems to have less of an odor. I'm hoping I was right that whatever it is will dissipate after a few uses.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Now I'm curious which one you thought had more of an odor. I have the blue one. I didn't actually notice anything when I took it out of the wrapper. It wasn't until I wore it that the smell came through. I had to run out today for a few errands and it seems to have less of an odor. I'm hoping I was right that whatever it is will dissipate after a few uses.

Yes, the blue is what I wear and it had less than the black. And it really wasn't that big a difference. I'm just saying, if you wanted to say there was a difference, you'd be smelling the differences in the fabric. The black is more of a mesh, a slightly different fabric from the blue.

Feel free to wash gently and sun dry if it's bugging you. I don't go out a ton, so I have been washing mine like once a month, which means they'll last sorta FOREVER, hahaha. I do sun in between, yes. However the smell has not been strong, so I think I'd be thinking more about leaky gut if it continues to bother you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yes, the blue is what I wear and it had less than the black. And it really wasn't that big a difference. I'm just saying, if you wanted to say there was a difference, you'd be smelling the differences in the fabric. The black is more of a mesh, a slightly different fabric from the blue.

Feel free to wash gently and sun dry if it's bugging you. I don't go out a ton, so I have been washing mine like once a month, which means they'll last sorta FOREVER, hahaha. I do sun in between, yes. However the smell has not been strong, so I think I'd be thinking more about leaky gut if it continues to bother you.

I might try washing it if it bothers me. Sun isn't an option right now because it's still so hot and humid. All it would do is get damp from humidity.  🙂 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Maybe in a window? Glassed in porch? 

No clue. I like Florida 1-2 months a year, LOL. 

😂 We actually have about 4 months a year of lovely weather. And I'd still take our summers over cold winters any day. 

Anyway, we don't have glassed in porches here, well very few do. Ours are usually screened in. I might be able to put it on the sill of a west facing window in the afternoon.

As I said though, it doesn't really bother me. I do seem to have an enhanced sense of smell, but just because I can detect odors doesn't mean they're irritating to me. I just wondered if it was just me or if anyone else noticed it. I already knew I was weird. 😄 

• Like 1

Yes, the inside is yellow and it's pro. I didn't see anything other than pro on the website. They had solid colors, which I bought, and patterned but all say pro.

“Basic” was discontinued.  But it sounds like Pro has same type of materials, especially same inner liner and filter. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pen said:

“Basic” was discontinued.  But it sounds like Pro has same type of materials, especially same inner liner and filter. 

They have some base models in stock but discontinued them after complaints of straps popping. When that happened with one of mine, I simply reglued the strap with a dot of super glue, no biggee. I dramatically prefer the base model. (If preferring a mask is a thing, mercy.) 

They're considering putting out the base model with sewn trim around the edges which should resolve the problem of straps popping after rough use.

If someone wants current stock of base models, they can call and order them like I did. They're less expensive too.

Edited by PeterPan

12 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

My son said his had an odor too, but he washed it, and I think it wore off. He only smelled it when he had it on, and he has a camo one. I can often smell differences in dyes and things like that, particularly if I happen to iron something. Dark dyes always smell stronger to me. I HATE the smell of black jeans until they have faded considerably, for instance.

Edited by kbutton
Typo

11 hours ago, kbutton said:

My son said his had an odor too, but he washed it, and I think it wore off. He only smelled it when he had it on, and he has a camo one. I can often smell differences in dyes and things like that, particularly if I happen to iron something. Dark dyes always smell stronger to me. I HATE the smell of black jeans until they have faded considerably, for instance.

Yes, that's the only time I smell it. I'm going to wash it today and see if that works.

• Like 1