Menu

Window Treatments and Color Schemes

Reefgazer

We are redoing our bedroom and I need some window treatment ideas.  We have a sliding glass door to our balcony.  What would you use for an updated window treatment on this door?  We’re painting a neutral, warm sand color, and I am absolutely bad with color schemes.  Floor will be light oak, rug is patterned with blue background/main color.

Edited by Reefgazer

• Reefgazer changed the title to Window Treatments and Color Schemes

Do you need light control or privacy on the slider or are you just thinking for décor? Because I have a slider that has a toile-printed valence on top. It goes nicely with my decorating scheme, but it obv. doesn’t do diddly for light control or privacy. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Reefgazer said:

I’m thinking for decor, mostly.  What I would like is a set up with sheers that would let light in that I could also close the heavier drape over to blackout light when I Sleep.

I have bought drapes from Amazon before. Could you poke around on there? Filter for colors that look good with your decor. 

• Like 1

Have you thought about bamboo shades?  You can add a liner behind them to close at night for privacy, but in the day you can either keep them up to see out and let in lots of light or leave them down for pretty, filtered light.  I have them on my French doors in the family room and I love them.  If you wanted a softer look, you could hang pretty fabric panels on either side of the window.

• Like 1

I think this depends on your overall budget. If a few hundred dollars isn’t a big deal, I’d be inclined to pick up the blue in the carpet and mirror it again in pillows and artwork so that the walls and floors are the neutral and blue is the dominant color.

If you don’t want to replace curtains in a few years or if you want a neutral look, I would look at something in the cream to warm sand range and so that the walls and floor all blend and allow attention to remain on rug, bedding, and artwork.

I have very neutral curtains in my house because my windows are huge and my house is very open...replacement curtains are expensive.

• Like 1

OK, so I made a mistake - the carpet has deep red/maroon a background color with hints of blue and off white.  Also, I hate super dark colors like dark blue or maroon at the window because I really like a lot of light.  What lighter colored curtains could I use that would look OK?

Off white....is that a cool color (bluish undertones) or a warm color (creamy)?

Are your sand colored walls warm also (should be)? 

Does your room feel more formal or more casual? 

What color is your bedroom furniture? 

Really, photos would really really help.

With just the words you describe, this comes to mind: https://www.target.com/p/faux-silk-room-darkening-window-curtain-panel-threshold/-/A-54167665?preselect=54085614#lnk=sametab

https://www.target.com/p/blackout-curtain-panel-edalene-threshold/-/A-53206419?preselect=53045544#lnk=sametab

But, and I'm so sorry, if you say that you are really bad with colors....I'm not sure we're getting an accurate description. Like, I flat out can't talk colors with half of my family members. They perceive them very differently than me and mix up warm/cool tones, undertones, etc. So, if you actually have a blue undertoned maroon carpet with hints of a cold blue and a cold off-white, my advice above would be really really bad. It all presumes you have warm toned stuff going on.

• Like 1

Pics would help.  I think you want either white or ivory/cream curtains, depending on what color is in your rug.  Try holding a piece of plain white printer paper next to the rug and compare that to the off-white in the rug.  Does the color in the rug look more gray or blue than the piece of paper, or is it more yellow/creamy?  There can be other undertones for whites, but those are the most common so hopefully it will be one of those.  If it leans blue or gray, get white curtains.  If it leans yellow, get ivory/cream ones.  Get sheers in the same color, and a double rod or rig up a faux double rod with a bungee cord.  I have these curtains in a couple rooms, and they come in both colors.  https://m.jcpenney.com/p/jcpenney-home-sullivan-blackout-grommet-top-single-curtain-panel/ppr5007312873?pTmplType=regular

• Like 1

Does this style fit your decor style? https://sarahjoyblog.com/step-by-step-drop-cloth-curtains/

I have this on my slider and love that it’s neutral and blocks the view inside the house when closed, but I can easily slide them back and get full light inside. I bought mine at Home Depot in the drop cloth section and they were very inexpensive. If that’s too casual, then I’d recommend IKEA for nice curtains that are affordable. I can’t help with color because I always go neutral. I don’t like color or dark for window coverings. 

I have these and love them also.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vilborg-room-darkening-curtains-1-pair-gray-40423413/

They aren’t as casual and more in the cool color family thank the ones above. They darken the room more, but still aren’t like blackout curtains. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 12:53 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Off white....is that a cool color (bluish undertones) or a warm color (creamy)?

Are your sand colored walls warm also (should be)? 

Does your room feel more formal or more casual? 

What color is your bedroom furniture? 

Really, photos would really really help.

With just the words you describe, this comes to mind: https://www.target.com/p/faux-silk-room-darkening-window-curtain-panel-threshold/-/A-54167665?preselect=54085614#lnk=sametab

https://www.target.com/p/blackout-curtain-panel-edalene-threshold/-/A-53206419?preselect=53045544#lnk=sametab

But, and I'm so sorry, if you say that you are really bad with colors....I'm not sure we're getting an accurate description. Like, I flat out can't talk colors with half of my family members. They perceive them very differently than me and mix up warm/cool tones, undertones, etc. So, if you actually have a blue undertoned maroon carpet with hints of a cold blue and a cold off-white, my advice above would be really really bad. It all presumes you have warm toned stuff going on.

OK, so this was helpful.  The walls are definitely a warm color; even non-artistic me can see that.  And now that you've posted these links, it gives me somewhere to start; I like those options and can see that they can work.  

On 10/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, caedmyn said:

Pics would help.  I think you want either white or ivory/cream curtains, depending on what color is in your rug.  Try holding a piece of plain white printer paper next to the rug and compare that to the off-white in the rug.  Does the color in the rug look more gray or blue than the piece of paper, or is it more yellow/creamy?  There can be other undertones for whites, but those are the most common so hopefully it will be one of those.  If it leans blue or gray, get white curtains.  If it leans yellow, get ivory/cream ones.  Get sheers in the same color, and a double rod or rig up a faux double rod with a bungee cord.  I have these curtains in a couple rooms, and they come in both colors.  https://m.jcpenney.com/p/jcpenney-home-sullivan-blackout-grommet-top-single-curtain-panel/ppr5007312873?pTmplType=regular

I already bought the double rods, and was leaning toward the off-white sheers.  I didn't buy them yet because I wanted to wait and see what advice was offered here.  But with definitely warm walls, and creamy undertones, I see I need the ivory sheers.