Menu

What do you miss about where you grew up?

klmama

19 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Having one or two deepish snows (6"+) a winter for kids to play in. 

I love where I live now! 

A lot of people here complain about the cold winters but, even though I do feel the cold and I don’t always like it, I don’t want to live somewhere it never snows. Really, in a contest, I dislike our hot, humid summers more than our cold winters. I like having four seasons. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 10:46 AM, Caroline said:

Diversity and integrated schools and neighborhoods, the Interfaith Center where I went to church, Toby’s Dinner Theater, easy access to DC and Baltimore, Old Bay, crabs, bike paths, ice skating on lakes, my church, tot lots, Merriweather Post Pavilion...  

But, I like a lot of stuff about where I live now, too. I love the soccer scene in ATL, the tennis scene, Georgia Tech, the education program at Kennesaw State has a lot of great offerings for continuing ed for teachers, did I mention Georgia Tech? 

Ahh, yes... Merriweather and first concerts. I'd forgotten about ice skating on the lakes. Mostly Kittamequendi for me. I probably spelled that wrong. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2020 at 4:44 AM, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Literally only good Mexican food. I used to miss the shopping and scenery and a few people and then realized that there were so many parts of the country more beautiful, and so much easier to drive and walk around to shop.

The only irreplaceable thing is the Baja style Mexican food, IMO. No other part of the country gets that flavor profile quite right.

When we moved back to California I gained 15lbs of taqueria weight 😂. I didn’t even care. 

Nothing really. Maybe the food. I grew up in NJ about 15 minutes from NYC and the ethnic makeup is similar. There are so many different ethnicities and they each have their American version of old country food. That's something you really don't get here, although you can get amazing Cuban food. I was 13 when we moved to Florida and swore that as soon as I was 18 I was moving back. By the time I turned 18 though, Florida was in my blood and I wasn't going anywhere. I'm still not. With all the problems we have and all the Florida Man stories, it's still my home and the place I love. Most of my family eventually moved here so I can't even say I miss family. I don't miss NJ at all. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Quill said:

Isn’t Old Bay regional, though? I didn’t think they sold it as far south as Atlanta. 

Is there still a Toby’s Dinner Theatre? 

Remember those Entertainment coupon books places used to sell as fundraisers? I remember they always had Toby’s coupons in there. One summer, pre-kids, my dh and I went to Ocean City and used Entertainment coupons for everything. Essentially, if was like one of us was free, because most deals were 2-fers. 😄

I can buy Old Bay out here in the PNW. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Quill said:

Isn’t Old Bay regional, though? I didn’t think they sold it as far south as Atlanta. 

Is there still a Toby’s Dinner Theatre? 

Remember those Entertainment coupon books places used to sell as fundraisers? I remember they always had Toby’s coupons in there. One summer, pre-kids, my dh and I went to Ocean City and used Entertainment coupons for everything. Essentially, if was like one of us was free, because most deals were 2-fers. 😄

Toby’s still exists . . . or it DID pre-Covid. We’ll see if she weather’s the shut down. DD’s boyfriend always had a job there, but he’s become a Nanny until the world reopens. Second Chance Saloon is closing permanently in October. 

• Like 1

I still live in the same county.  Small town living has its good and bad, but I "imported" my DH (his family moved here when he was in college and he moved here after he graduated) and we now live in the "country" part of the county.

It's funny because my 16 year old cannot wait to get out of "yehaw land" - and that's pretty much how I felt at her age.  

We have a fairly large farm here, so I'll probably live right here until I'm very old or dead.  And I'm okay with that 🙂

So much:

Everything stopped at 10 and 4 for tea time.  Afternoon tea time was the best.   It was relaxing and allowed you to visit with friends.

White sandy beaches (we didn't live near the beach but we visited a couple times per year.)

Hills, tea plantations, green after green rolling hills.

The smell of rain.

Street vendors in the city.

Sitting in luxury hotels for tea time when we were in the city.   It was just the thing to do.

Rugby games

The food.   Fresh produce, all organic, available all the time.   And fresh spices.   And the best tea and coffee in the world.

• Like 1