Menu

Comfortable, cotton shirts for apple shape

ktgrok

I have no clothes. I gained just enough weight during the pandemic that much of my clothing doesn't fit. And the few things I like are old, stained, etc. Normally I just buy a bunch of stuff in the sam style, just getting different colors. But when I went to try to rebuy the things I have and like they were discontinued. Oops!

Also, I have one top I love, but it only comes in cotton in black. The other colors/patterns are a different material I hate. (I bought one....it pills in the wash and feels icky. I have huge sensory issues, so fabric really really matters)

And t-shirts all seem to be either too clingy around the belly, or too tight in the arm pit (Hate that!) or something. Oh, and I'm short, 5'1 and shortwaisted, which means a lot of tunics look huge on me. 

But..I have to buy something. Budget is tight, but naked isn't an option either, lol. Oh, and I'm in Florida, so still in the 90's and hot. So no sweaters/long sleeves. I like tanks and t-shirts. Need more t-shirts for sure. All mine are too snug. (or some kind of shirt that is short sleeved)

Things I have and like:

This tank top in black. I have two, lol. The neckline with that little bit of gathering is flattering. The flowy style means no tummy or muffin top showing through my shirt, but it isn't so huge it makes me look pregnant. I have it in large, and only the black is the right material 😞

I have two of these, but wore them so much that they have stains, faded, etc. And they are no longer making/selling them - this photo if you click it goes to an "out of stock" notice. Again, not clingy, cool cotton. image.png.a72a904ebcc91013ae0cc1dd4da41881.png

Also, my breast/ribcage mean that many button down shirts gap in the middle, this one doesn't. 

And I have two of these, which I do like, but I am not sure how flattering they are....I think they are a bit short so might accent my belly a bit. 

• Like 1

I like knotted t shirts to hide belly issues. On my body, anyway, they tend to hang in a flattering way.

Like this: https://bananarepublicfactory.gapfactory.com/browse/product.do?pid=607294011&pcid=999&vid=1&&searchText=knot top#pdp-page-content

I also find that shorter (but not crop!) tops are more flattering on me, as tunics make me look pregnant, even when I’m in excellent shape. T shirts and sweaters that hit me around the hip bone surprisingly hide my tummy better than anything longer, which tend to accentuate it. Of course it’s not a intuitive or foolproof method by any means. Lol

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I like knotted t shirts to hide belly issues. On my body, anyway, they tend to hang in a flattering way.

Like this: https://bananarepublicfactory.gapfactory.com/browse/product.do?pid=607294011&pcid=999&vid=1&&searchText=knot top#pdp-page-content

I also find that shorter (but not crop!) tops are more flattering on me, as tunics make me look pregnant, even when I’m in excellent shape. T shirts and sweaters that hit me around the hip bone surprisingly hide my tummy better than anything longer, which tend to accentuate it. Of course it’s not a intuitive or foolproof method by any means. Lol

Yes, hip bones is what I want! Good description! I'll check those out. 

• Like 2

So I don't share your shape, but as a tip - if your old shirts that you love still have the tags you may be able to find the item number on one of them, or even just a description. Then you can set up a search on ebay, and even check other sites like Poshmark or possibly try google shopping.

You can also copy the shirts that you love and sew them yourself, or hire a seamstress to sew them for you. YouTube has garment copying tutorials. You basically just turn the shirt sideways and trace it onto butcher paper or thick wrapping paper, and add a seam allowance.  Make sure you do the back too.

• Like 1

I have recently experimented  with dyeing old tops that I like the fit but they have either faded or have some light staining. Rit dye has products for 100% cotton and for blended fabrics. You can combine dye colors if you want to get fancy, but I have stuck to the basic colors so far. I use the stovetop method. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this. 

Sorry I don’t have any great suggestions on buying new, inexpensive tops. I am also lamenting the fact that my newly gained pandemic weight makes most of my cute tops too tight 😕. I too just keep wearing the same few things that fit. I would rather wear the same thing over and over but be comfy, than wear something different but too tight. I hate tight clothing!  It makes me grumpy and nobody needs more grumpy in the world lol. 

Edited by Bensmom
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Katy said:

So I don't share your shape, but as a tip - if your old shirts that you love still have the tags you may be able to find the item number on one of them, or even just a description. Then you can set up a search on ebay, and even check other sites like Poshmark or possibly try google shopping.

You can also copy the shirts that you love and sew them yourself, or hire a seamstress to sew them for you. YouTube has garment copying tutorials. You basically just turn the shirt sideways and trace it onto butcher paper or thick wrapping paper, and add a seam allowance.  Make sure you do the back too.

I actually just found two pairs of my favorite comfy shorts on Poshmark! The shipping is a bit of a killer if buying just one item from a seller, but now I'll have three pairs of my favorite comfy shorts! I was down to one as my last pair just plain wore out - holes and all. 

I'm keeping an eye out for shirts as well. 

3 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

Duluth Trading Company has some nice quality tops. https://www.duluthtrading.com/women/tops/tanks/ I have a couple of the no yank tanks and they're very comfortable and flattering. 

I'll check those out!

3 hours ago, Selkie said:

For tees, my favorite is Life is Good. The fabric they use is so cool and comfy compared to other brands. They have solid tees and really cute graphic tees, too. I'm not an apple, but I think they have styles that would work for that shape. 

https://www.lifeisgood.com

My husband has some, and I agree the material is so nice! They are his favorite...I wonder if the women's ones are shaped differently? I'd assume so - will check them out. 

• Like 2

And, I just ordered a t-shirt from Life is Good to try. $28 is more than I wanted to spend on a single casual t-shirt, but it says "Peace, Love, Coffee" and is the perfect color for me. We will see how it fits. They have solid color ones 2 for $35 which is a better deal, if the fit works out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

And, I just ordered a t-shirt from Life is Good to try. $28 is more than I wanted to spend on a single casual t-shirt, but it says "Peace, Love, Coffee" and is the perfect color for me. We will see how it fits. They have solid color ones 2 for $35 which is a better deal, if the fit works out. 

I love the Life is Good Tshirts.  My husband has like 10, and I have 3.  There are different thickness and that makes a big difference.  I have one that is very substantial but on 90 degree days is too hot.  The other two are lighter weight and while they might not last as long, I think they are more comfortable.  

2 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

I love the Life is Good Tshirts.  My husband has like 10, and I have 3.  There are different thickness and that makes a big difference.  I have one that is very substantial but on 90 degree days is too hot.  The other two are lighter weight and while they might not last as long, I think they are more comfortable.  

The lighter weight ones are 40% polyester. I always thinks those types of fabric feel so nice at first, then 20 minutes later I'm dashing out of the room to change....the fabric starts to make my skin crawl or something. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Please let us know how the fit is. I've been eying several on the site!

Tractor supply company has flattering shirts that hit the hipbone that would be flattering on an apple shape. They're similar to the one you linked above they kinda  flow down to the hip. I love them, they wear well and they are cool and comfy, which I think you want in FL. 

Ive never bought a shirt from TSC that I haven't loved and worn again and again. And I'm like you, easily annoyed by fibers. They have many similar to the style you linked above. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/womens-shirts#facet:&facetLimit:&productBeginIndex:0&beginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:60&

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Tractor supply company has flattering shirts that hit the hipbone that would be flattering on an apple shape. They're similar to the one you linked above they kinda  flow down to the hip. I love them, they wear well and they are cool and comfy, which I think you want in FL. 

Ive never bought a shirt from TSC that I haven't loved and worn again and again. And I'm like you, easily annoyed by fibers. They have many similar to the style you linked above. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/womens-shirts#facet:&facetLimit:&productBeginIndex:0&beginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:60&

ooh - we have one nearby! I love Tractor Supply, lol. Thank you!

On 9/27/2020 at 7:52 AM, Bensmom said:

I have recently experimented  with dyeing old tops that I like the fit but they have either faded or have some light staining. Rit dye has products for 100% cotton and for blended fabrics. You can combine dye colors if you want to get fancy, but I have stuck to the basic colors so far. I use the stovetop method. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this. 

I've done dying recently, too! So much cheaper to dye faded skirts than replace them. I did it in the washing machine and it was very easy. 

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

For very basic tees, I've been happy with the fit of these cotton v-necks from Woman Within / Full Beauty. I usually wear about a XL / 14, so their medium works for me. They are not clingy. I'm guessing the regular length might be too long for you, but they do come in petite (26" long).

THANK YOU! Those look great! Going to order a petite medium right now!

• Like 1

Katie, I'm about the same size as you and I live in Arizona - it is still in the 100s here. 🥵 I also know just what you mean about that material that gets all pilly and weird once you wash it - ugh. This summer I had good luck with a couple of tanks from Old Navy which surprised me because I rarely find anything that works there but they were having a great sale so thought I would take a look and got lucky!

I have this tank and the fabric is more cottony and feels nice after washing. I have it in medium but should have gotten large (don't know what I was thinking) and while I can wear the medium it's a bit snug. Looks like they still have the red floral available.

I don't have this one but it's made of the same material and I bet it's just as nice.

I have this tank in blue with white dots  in large and it feels lovely! I'm wearing it right now.

I hope this helps a bit. I know how hard it is to find clothes that fit, are cool enough (temperature-wise), and don't cost a gajillion dollars.