Menu

What are you getting your kids for the holidays this year?

mommyoffive

Christmas is 90 days away. So this is ok right? 

Normally we do a lot of experience gifts.  Not this year.

So ages of kids and what you are getting them.

A lot of the ideas I have seen floating around are:

Legos,  especially the super Mario sets

Switch

Magazine subscriptions 

Monthly subscription boxes

What else are you thinking?

I have very few ideas this year,  but I do need to start buying soon. 

1-  basic tools, clothes, maybe a few college themed things, 

2- video equipment, wallet 

3- new bedding and room decor 

4- new bedding and room decor 

5- diary, art supplies- I would like to find a really great toy for this one, but no ideas- possibly a new bike since hers have always been hand me downs 

6- cooperative game, maybe a Lego Junior?  

I haven't had any time to look, but I've been making lists of ideas!  I love the Hearthsong catalog, outside toys, building toys, games  but most of my kids are teenagers!  

• Like 1

No idea! I don't want to fill the house with more stuff and experiences aren't really an option right now. I'm not even willing to do an experience for a future date because that could be them waiting over a year. Like my dad was supposed to see a Broadway show for her birthday in March with my fil. But that of course is postponed and she'll have another birthday before she can go.

I was thinking of a gaming computer as a collective gift and then a few small personal gifts per kid but I don't know

• Like 1

The two oldest are getting computers. Last year the oldest got a laptop and they spilt juice on it, so probably desktops. This will help them with some school stuff, but they also love to play games together. Right now that means one playing and the others watching, so being able to play simultaneously will make it easier to reduce overall screen time, strangle enough. Our four year old may end up with a tablet. The two year old??? Not tech, for sure, but it might be a bunch of balloons or something. We'll probably also get them PJs and things like that. Probably a joint board game or outdoor toy. There is so little they need or even seriously want. I have to come up with a suitable list to pass around the family, and it's tough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

No idea! I don't want to fill the house with more stuff and experiences aren't really an option right now. I'm not even willing to do an experience for a future date because that could be them waiting over a year. Like my dad was supposed to see a Broadway show for her birthday in March with my fil. But that of course is postponed and she'll have another birthday before she can go.

I was thinking of a gaming computer as a collective gift and then a few small personal gifts per kid but I don't know

Right and we just don't know when things will be safe or open.   We gave the kids a trip to Japan last Christmas and then had to cancel because of covid.   I don't want to do the same this year.  So the will be getting more things this year.

I told my dds to have wish lists ready early this year because I want to do my shopping in October and November. I'm having iffy shipping from Amazon already and don't want to be relying on that come December. They will be 20 and turning 18 over the holidays, but they're getting Legos anyway because it just feels like a Lego-build kind of year. Our best kid gift-giving years coincided with the great Harry Potter Lego sets. I already ordered, received, and wrapped the new Privet Drive lego set and the one with Kylo Ren and his ship (these aren't equivalent sets, but one dd is more inclined to complex builds than the other).

Beyond that, I'm waiting for lists. I think clothes will be less important than in years past, though I'm thinking about good quality leggings. They've received earrings the last couple of years; maybe larger hoops this year. The artsy one has already mentioned she wants art supplies--I will wait for her explicit list and order from Dick Blick. The other sews American Girl period outfits and mentioned lace and other decorative notions. I think a JoAnn's trip will be in order--nice fabrics, lace, little buttons? I'm hoping Costco will have Dowdle jigsaw puzzles again this year, but if they do that could become Thanksgiving entertainment. Maybe a Netflix subscription. Disabled dd is not into things--maybe some CD's, some clothing, sand shovels if I find any (her favorite toy to play with).

• Like 1

I know I will get each of them an ornament like I do every year.  I usually get them a clothing item like a fun t-shirt or cozy lounge pants.  Then I get them something that they have been wanting, but this year I am not sure what that is.  I know youngest would like to get stuff for his computer.

I miss the years they just wanted toys, now their toys are bigger and more expensive.  I think I may just focus on having a fun time together making cookies, watching Christmas movies, hopefully get a u-cut tree, playing games, and so on, but especially focus on the religious side of Christmas that often gets lost in the busyness of the season.

• Like 2

We have birthdays in the next couple of months to.   They will be 12 & 14 Some of the current ideas are a 3D printer, dog agility course, art and building tools, geeky t-shirts, kayak.

The toddler will get some wooden toys and the big thing will be a climbing dome.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 3

For me, it's too early to worry about that.  I just realized my kid's birthday is in 2 weeks and I haven't given that much thought, either.  I know she wants to save up for an Apple watch, so I'm sure she'll be happy with some money.  But what else?  Usually we try to plan a trip and she gets something small or modest.  She is hard to buy for.

Is 14 too young to just give mostly money?  That would just be easier for all of us.

3 minutes ago, SKL said:

For me, it's too early to worry about that.  I just realized my kid's birthday is in 2 weeks and I haven't given that much thought, either.  I know she wants to save up for an Apple watch, so I'm sure she'll be happy with some money.  But what else?  Usually we try to plan a trip and she gets something small or modest.  She is hard to buy for.

Is 14 too young to just give mostly money?  That would just be easier for all of us.

My 14 year old didn't get any "toys" last year and she was disappointed even though she got useful things and stuff on her list.  Definitely going to get her some toys.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

My 14 year old didn't get any "toys" last year and she was disappointed even though she got useful things and stuff on her list.  Definitely going to get her some toys.

This kid hasn't really liked toys for years, if ever.  Ugh.  It doesn't help that they already have everything a girl could want.

Camping hammocks, a couple of books or maybe a reading book and a D&D module, and something they want.  I normally wait until November to ask for wish lists.  This year I would like to be done shopping by November.  I've already asked dh to research hammocks.   Does anyone have any great teen boy book recommendations?    They love realistic science fiction such as The Martian and Itch.

I need to think about stockings. This is the area where I tend to overbuy.  I must be mindful this year.  

41 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

Camping hammocks, a couple of books or maybe a reading book and a D&D module, and something they want.  I've already asked dh to research hammocks.  

Can you post when you find camping hammocks you might buy?  What a great gift idea!  

All 3 of ours are college or beyond. We're considering getting them all cameras for their cars because they do a lot of driving, in city  and rural, and the drivers in our area are frequently unsafe, making unexpected illegal lane changes or turns, brake checking, etc. We would also likely get them something personalized for each individual. I used to give them ornaments annually, but they don't seem to appreciate them anymore. If they're all home, I may do stockings as well.

well dh just told me that his next splurge item is going to be a playstation 5 (disclaimer: dh never spends money on himself.  He has a splurge every few years.)  So, most likely what will happen is I secretly get him the ps5 for christmas and then the kids get his ps4(which his friend bought for him when it came out.)  They will be so excited for that.  We'll get them some games too and their individual gifts too.

Normally, I would never spend that much on dh but he has already declared it his next splurge so that money is getting spent eventually.  He'd likely wait until March when we get our tax refund so might as well surprise him earlier.

I have no ideas at all this year.  There really isn’t much they want and they don’t need anything.  This might be the most quiet and uneventful Christmas we’ve had in their 15 years.  I am still going through and gettng rid of a lot of stuff they hardly played with/used over the years and I’m not bringing more stuff in the house just to have presents jnder the tree.

They both got a lot of gym/weight equipment for their birthday this past June so I’m not going to stress so much about Christmas this year.

1 hour ago, wilrunner2 said:

\. We would also likely get them something personalized for each individual. I used to give them ornaments annually, but they don't seem to appreciate them anymore. \

I do this with my kids, and DH said that maybe it's time to stop because it's overkill doing it every year.  I'm crushed - I put a lot of thought into finding meaningful ornaments for them each year.  Mine are also all young adults (my youngest just turned 18 and my oldest is almost 30).  

12 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Christmas is 90 days away. So this is ok right? 

Normally we do a lot of experience gifts.  Not this year.

So ages of kids and what you are getting them.

A lot of the ideas I have seen floating around are:

Legos,  especially the super Mario sets

Switch

Magazine subscriptions 

Monthly subscription boxes

What else are you thinking?

I am out of ideas of things I’m willing to own... so I’d love ideas for experience gifts!

DD12 is “graduating” to her own room, so stuff for that. Three adult kids get cash. The rest?!?! Ack. Grandma is already asking for ideas and she’s vetoed clothes and books! 

16 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I am out of ideas of things I’m willing to own... so I’d love ideas for experience gifts!

DD12 is “graduating” to her own room, so stuff for that. Three adult kids get cash. The rest?!?! Ack. Grandma is already asking for ideas and she’s vetoed clothes and books! 

Memberships to things like zoos or museums 

A trip. could be a night away or even just a day

Classes 

Dates.   Like a booklet of dates to take your kid on

Ski pass

Pay for a camp if they are open next year

Movie passes 

Lessons

Spa day 

Massages

Subscription boxes.  I think that can work for adult kids too.

Go throw axes

Paint pottery places

Gift certificate for drive in movies

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I do this with my kids, and DH said that maybe it's time to stop because it's overkill doing it every year.  I'm crushed - I put a lot of thought into finding meaningful ornaments for them each year.  Mine are also all young adults (my youngest just turned 18 and my oldest is almost 30).  

I was sad to let it go, too. I of my favorite things was to listen to them them when they trimmed the tree, talking about what the ornaments meant and when they got them.

• Like 1

For my older two (who are married, no kids) we're getting them each:

insulated food backpack
outdoor picnic recipe book
hammock for 2 adults with bug netting screen

Youngest (15) is probably getting:

a small photo printer
photo book
photo paper and ink
art supplies
anime posters

We celebrate Jolabokaflod, so everyone will tell me what book they want and what treats they want in their stockings on Christmas Eve. 

We're kicking around the idea of matching llama shirts and jammy pants. (Middle daughter's idea.) "You're getting a llama" has been our cover story for Christmas since the kids were little.  They always understood it was a silly joke to avoid answering what they were really getting for Christmas. It's a fun tradition because we always riffed on the idea as a sort of collaborative storytelling experience.

They gave me a llama mug for Christmas as adults, one uses llama Christmas wrapping paper, and youngest dressed as a llama for Halloween once. 

I'm buying llama cookie cutters for our Christmas sugar cookies this year.

• Like 4

Grateful for this thread!! I want to start early but have zero ideas because we did a big spending splurge in the early quarantine days just so everyone had something new/fun to focus on to take away from the yuck of everything. So we have new hammocks, new Switches, and unopened LEGO sets (never thought I'd see the day!). And we'd just gotten to the point of giving "experiences" instead of stuff for Christmas, so that complicates matters. 

I have already ordered ornaments for everyone. Luckily, my kids still love the tradition. Of course this year's ornaments are a little... nontraditional, but I think they're perfect because every member of this family has uttered this phrase at least a few dozen times since March. 😅 I usually buy a special/different one for each person, but felt that these summed things up for us all and we'll have one in every color, so they're different enough. 😂 (i tried to blur out the bad words - hopefully it's showing up properly... otherwise, uh oh! 🤭)

EA1BC9DF-E800-49C6-9AD9-A99057141526.thumb.jpeg.1712c3fdf3c67213183f4d7e7bedeca6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Dh and I make the kids ornaments every year.  It isn't a tradition I ever thought I'd stick with.  At the beginning of our marriage we would buy ornaments for each kid because that was a tradition from dh's family.  Eventually we switched to just making them, usually out of felt.  It is a project we really enjoy doing together.  We haven't talked about what their ornaments will be this year but they are usually related to their interests. 

• Like 1

So far I have a little box-type craft bag with handles and pockets that @Ktgrokshared a few weeks ago for my teen girls and a nice leather wallet embossed with his initials from a local-ish business for dh, and that’s it.  We’re generally experience people, too, and we’re still trying to figure that out. 

Oh, and ornaments!  Hmm. . .will have to think about this. I usually pick up ornaments from a trip as souvenirs and give them to them on Christmas Eve, but the beach is the only place we’ve been.  I guess I could give them a family beach picture on an ornament. 🤷🏻‍♀️  I need to think this through . Thanks for the reminder!

Lots of books, some "good" art supplies.  Maybe some little Minecraft figures or something to do with World of Warcraft.  Kiddo is 12, so he's on the edge of sometimes toys are fun, sometimes he isn't interested. We will probably get him some funny t shirts, too.  

I'm going to make a few little gifts for him, too.  Nothing big, just silly things like a giant set of polyhedral dice made from plastic canvas. 

I want to get a dog because we haven't ever had one and we all want one.

If not a dog, I'm honestly giving each a new bike probably. My 16yo will be getting a car in Jan. and my 10 and 6 DD don't need or want for anything, and I already need to go through their stuff and throw out so much as it is. They hoard everything. I'm so over stuff and my spoiled kids. 

The past few years i've been getting them less and less and this year I want it to be even more less. I like the idea of experiences, but most things are closed. We talked about Disney passes last year, but that's out of the question now. 

This reminds me it's too much to think about in 2020!! 

Books. 

My Hero Academia funko pops. 

T-shirts. (MHA and Avatar)

a MHA book bag.

Eta: one of our traditions -- each kid also gets a "coffee table" art book each Christmas, usually from a favorite animated movie or television show. (i.e.: the art of Clone Wars, or whatever...)

Edited by alisoncooks

1 hour ago, BookMamaLade said:

Sheesh, it is time to start thinking about this, isn't it?

Our oldest (18) and youngest (almost 4) are easy. It's the middle 2 I have no ideas about. 7th & 8th grade boys. The stuff they really want is too expensive. They are not athletic/outdoorsy.

Magazine subscriptions?  Clothes? I'm at a loss.

What do they like.  I like the magazine subscriptions. 

My dd14 loves the dog agility set we got her recently--great pandemic purchase for fun with the pup in the yard or basement.

For Christmas I'm thinking cross country skis, nice snow pants and pjs for my teen girls. And for all of us a rack of hand weights and a new rug to make the basement more appealing for yoga and home workouts. Basically I'm focused on making winter more bearable by increasing our options for exercise outdoors and in. 

On 9/26/2020 at 6:04 PM, hjffkj said:

well dh just told me that his next splurge item is going to be a playstation 5 (disclaimer: dh never spends money on himself.  He has a splurge every few years.)  So, most likely what will happen is I secretly get him the ps5 for christmas and then the kids get his ps4(which his friend bought for him when it came out.)  They will be so excited for that.  We'll get them some games too and their individual gifts too.

Normally, I would never spend that much on dh but he has already declared it his next splurge so that money is getting spent eventually.  He'd likely wait until March when we get our tax refund so might as well surprise him earlier.

Just FYI- word is these are going to be crazy hard to find.  They had been an option for our kids a group gift, but after a bit of looking, I'm not up for the stress of trying to get one for the holidays.

25 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

Just FYI- word is these are going to be crazy hard to find.  They had been an option for our kids a group gift, but after a bit of looking, I'm not up for the stress of trying to get one for the holidays.

oh yeah,  I'll certainly be waiting to purchase it if I can't find it easily but as long as dh knows the ps5 is coming in the near future he'll have no issue giving up the ps4 before getting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

My dd14 loves the dog agility set we got her recently--great pandemic purchase for fun with the pup in the yard or basement.

For Christmas I'm thinking cross country skis, nice snow pants and pjs for my teen girls. And for all of us a rack of hand weights and a new rug to make the basement more appealing for yoga and home workouts. Basically I'm focused on making winter more bearable by increasing our options for exercise outdoors and in. 

Can you link the dog agility set?  We just got a new puppy who might do well with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Can you link the dog agility set?  We just got a new puppy who might do well with it.

Not cheap but it's durable and adjustable, and I didn't see any other sets with this number of obstacles for the price. It gets tons of use and we're very happy with it! Shipped faster than expected.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/763204445/better-sporting-dogs-original-agility?ref=related-3&frs=1

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

Not cheap but it's durable and adjustable, and I didn't see any other sets with this number of obstacles for the price. It gets tons of use and we're very happy with it! Shipped faster than expected.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/763204445/better-sporting-dogs-original-agility?ref=related-3&frs=1

Did your dog have experience doing this before?

Since married ds wanted to borrow a Dutch oven for camping, think I might go that way.  They are also using the blanket he had in high school, so I think a  new blanket might be nice.  

Middle ds- no ideas.  He's not settled anywhere, so can't really get him things or I'll be storing them.  😣

DD- Not sure, but she'll almost ready to move out.  Think I should be able to find something she'll need for that.

Grandson #1 has so much stuff, so I have no idea for little brother.  Clothes I guess.  I have a wooden puzzle with hinged doors and some stickers I got out West for him so far.  I try to not overload them with gifts.

Oldest: no ideas. Freshman in college - hates the CoVid college experience, so thinking about coming home for second semester. She doesn't even know yet if she can or if she has to stay there. Either way, I have no ideas. 

Middle teen: Baby Yoda water bottle (old one leaks). suture kit since she saw it online and wants it (https://www.lousign.com/products/truefeel™-all-inclusive-suture-kit). Wii Just Dance games.

Youngest teen: wants to save the world, so maybe a donation to WWF which would get her a stuffed animal or something. If oldest stays in dorms, she has her own room and she wants space stuff for it.